Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can Garmin Varia radar talk to a Wahoo ELEMNT?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-30-20, 05:10 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts

Back story: Wife was in a catastrophic crash last year, fractured her C2 vertebrae, had emergency spine surgery which fused C1-4. She'll permamently have restricted range of motion in side-to-side rotation

...and yet she wants to get back on the bike. (Eventually.)

We're modifying her cockpit to make the rider position compatible with her newly titanium-reinforced forward head restrictions, and we're adding some swanky bar-end rearview mirrors. But she loves the idea of Garmin's Varia rear-facing radar as an added weapon in her arsenal of tools to compensate for not being able to easily look over her shoulder.

Thing is, she hates Garmins. She has a Wahoo ELEMNT and loves it.

Anyone know if there's a way to get the Garmin Varia radar to talk to the Wahoo ELEMNT head unit? ...maybe to display on the Wahoo's Quicklook LEDs?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-20, 05:12 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

(I also posted this in the Electronics/Gadgets subforum, but since this is related to riding with a fused spine I thought maybe there'd be some ideas here also. Apologies for double-posting.)

Back story: Wife was in a catastrophic crash last year, fractured her C2 vertebrae, had emergency spine surgery which fused C1-4. She'll permamently have restricted range of motion in side-to-side rotation

We're modifying her cockpit to make the rider position compatible with her newly titanium-reinforced forward head restrictions, and we're adding some swanky bar-end rearview mirrors. But she loves the idea of Garmin's Varia rear-facing radar as an added weapon in her arsenal of tools to compensate for not being able to easily look over her shoulder.

Anyone know if there's a way to get the Garmin Varia radar to talk to the Wahoo ELEMNT head unit? ...maybe to display on the Wahoo's Quicklook LEDs?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-20, 05:36 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,693 Posts
Duplicate threads merged. Please do not cross post.
Old 01-30-20, 06:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
It took me literally 10 seconds to find this: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/waho...aria-friendly/
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-20, 07:34 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Duplicate threads merged. Please do not cross post.
Why would you even bother merging them when the only difference is the acknowledgement that they are cross-posted and the reference to context only pertinent to the other subforum it was cross-posted to? Just delete the second message, Jesus.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 01-30-20, 10:49 AM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I guess you are lucky if a radar would be of use to you. Around here I can't think of a ride I did when it would not continuously alarm for the entire ride. Make sure to get a way-bright daytime tail light, or better a couple of them 350 lumens on the taillight seems to be bright enough for daytime use.
Old 01-30-20, 11:00 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've used the radar (first gen) since it first came out, and it really has helped to take the surprise element out of riding with occasional cars. If I use it in heavy traffic, it is just annoying. I do have to augment it with a second, brighter, tail-light (Cyglo)

Thanks for your post, as this is useful information about cross-compatibility I was not aware of.

I hope your wife is able to enjoy cycling as much as possible. It is remarkable she is eager to continue. Great that you are so supportive.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 02-01-20, 04:05 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Two types of cyclists. Those that love the Varia, and those that have never used it.

Caveat; Not really useful in an Urban environment.

But where I am in rural UK? Indispensable! Light is bright enough, and it pairs with Wahoo easily.

I’ve had both the 1st Gen and now the 2nd Gen. Bought a 3D printed mount that attaches neatly under my seat.

Love it.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 02-01-20, 07:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
I guess you are lucky if a radar would be of use to you. Around here I can't think of a ride I did when it would not continuously alarm for the entire ride. Make sure to get a way-bright daytime tail light, or better a couple of them 350 lumens on the taillight seems to be bright enough for daytime use.
​​​​​​It doesn't just tell you there's a car behind you, it tells you how many and their relative positions. So you have a pretty good idea when to merge into a gap in traffic while you're paying attention to the road ahead of you.

Can't say anything about Wahoo but I can say the radar is very useful. And that's based on experience using it in a city, not imagining how it might be.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-04-20, 02:51 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​It doesn't just tell you there's a car behind you, it tells you how many and their relative positions. So you have a pretty good idea when to merge into a gap in traffic while you're paying attention to the road ahead of you.

Can't say anything about Wahoo but I can say the radar is very useful. And that's based on experience using it in a city, not imagining how it might be.
^^^ This! I have a second generation RTL510 radar and use it every time I'm on a public roadway. And to answer the OP's question, yes it does work with the Wahoo Elemnt/Bolt and Roam. In fact, it works slightly better on Wahoo products than it does on Garmin products. Instead of a little yellow dot on a black background that appears on the Garmins, the Wahoo products display an icon of the car(s) behind you and their relative position to one another and to you. Wahoo also warns you of when the radar battery is low and when it's disconnected, something that only the Garmin 1030 does (according to the radar's Owner's Manual). Wahoo has better visual and audio cues as well since it uses more tones than Garmins and also uses the LED lights. The only thing it doesn't display (on either brand computer) is what lane the car(s) are in on multi-lane roads. For that, you still need a mirror. If your wife has a second generation radar, all she needs to do is to have the latest Wahoo firmware. If she has a first generation, she needs the latest firmware for both the Elemnt and the radar.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-06-20, 01:38 PM
wojowojo16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have one connected to my wahoo, works fine. Good luck!
Old 02-12-20, 04:25 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
(I also posted this in the Electronics/Gadgets subforum, but since this is related to riding with a fused spine I thought maybe there'd be some ideas here also. Apologies for double-posting.)

Thanks.
Yes. they do. It's pretty easy to see that on their website. Nice implementation.

Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
I'm guessing here but you've never used one, right?

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Exactly right. The current version is also a very good taillight which reacts to the position of the car to you which adds to visibility. version 1.0 had a taillight that was the next thing to worthless.
Old 07-30-21, 06:37 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It took me literally 10 seconds to find this: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/waho...aria-friendly/
Yes, but you knew exactly what to ask for. Bugs me (my issue I know) that people respond like you did. If you go to the Wahoo site it doesn't sell or say anything about where you can get a radar unit or what is compatible. If you are new to this it'd be odd to know what to ask for directly. You'd think at least there would be some pointing to what would be compatible on the Wahoo page.
Old 07-30-21, 07:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
Yes, but you knew exactly what to ask for. Bugs me (my issue I know) that people respond like you did. If you go to the Wahoo site it doesn't sell or say anything about where you can get a radar unit or what is compatible. If you are new to this it'd be odd to know what to ask for directly. You'd think at least there would be some pointing to what would be compatible on the Wahoo page.
I provided an (easily found) answer to the OP's post, using the obvious search term in google, and the OP "liked" my response. You are the only person with a problem.
Old 07-30-21, 07:34 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I provided an (easily found) answer to the OP's post, using the obvious search term in google, and the OP "liked" my response. You are the only person with a problem.
Probably misread and like I said, my problem. I guess you are in the clear.
Old 07-31-21, 07:16 PM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just purchased and installed the Garmin radar. Wow! So easy it is incredible. Long story, but I purchased a Garmin GPS for my recent motorcycle trip on the MidAtlantic Backroads Discovery Route and after 5 nights a 3-4 hours per night trying to get it to consistently load gpx files I sent it back. There is a problem with hom they connect with Apple products. However, it took just a few minutes to connect my new radar with the Wahoo Bolt.
Old 08-01-21, 05:49 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
have the garmin varia and a garmin unit. sounds like the crossover garmin/wahoo thing works which is awesome.
varia has been a game-changer. yes...in the city in can get annoying but still useful. in the country-indispensible...
esp on the longer downhills. even in the city when it's beeping every few moment, it comes in handy. the varia alert +
a quick, partial head turn to the (mostly) left or right to let an approaching vehicle know you're aware of their presence is
huuge. my anecdotal sample in the last four months is less aggro and more understanding drivers. may it continue...