Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Suspension Seat Post recommendations

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 10:17 PM
Maffuofasia

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Guys, anyone have any suspension seat post recommendations for heavy riders? I am 100-110 kilos. Cheers!
Old 04-29-20, 09:07 AM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
I just put a new Crane Creek Thudbuster on my Specialized Roll. You can dial it in for your weight range. I'm right around 124 kilos and have the optional extra firm elastomer in mine but the seat post comes with 3 different ones but I new from reading I needed the extra firm so for a couple dollars more I ordered that along with my seat post. I set it all up last night and did some test rides over some rough areas and have to say much sturdier overall and way smoother over the rough areas that the stock spring style suspension seat. Very well made. Not the cheapest one I could of bought but to me was well worth the extra money to a really good quality suspension seat post. https://www.canecreek.com/product/suspension-seatpost/
Old 04-30-20, 04:07 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I don’t care for suspension seat posts. If I need something to smooth out the ride I put on a set of Big Apple tires.
Old 05-03-20, 02:35 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I too recommend the thudbuster.
Old 05-12-20, 12:55 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by wyd
I just put a new Crane Creek Thudbuster on my Specialized Roll. You can dial it in for your weight range. I'm right around 124 kilos and have the optional extra firm elastomer in mine but the seat post comes with 3 different ones but I new from reading I needed the extra firm so for a couple dollars more I ordered that along with my seat post. I set it all up last night and did some test rides over some rough areas and have to say much sturdier overall and way smoother over the rough areas that the stock spring style suspension seat. Very well made. Not the cheapest one I could of bought but to me was well worth the extra money to a really good quality suspension seat post. https://www.canecreek.com/product/suspension-seatpost/
yes.
go short travel
long is kinda to much i felt.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 05-12-20, 07:30 PM
Maffuofasia

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many thanks, I'll check out crane creek site!
Likes For Maffuofasia:
Old 05-12-20, 08:45 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
One option you may want to consider is a suspension saddle rather than a suspension post. I had a suspension post (original equipment) on a hybrid that I found very uncomfortable and distracting (admittedly probably not Thudbuster quality), but when it stopped working I installed a solid post and suspension seat...much smoother and more comfortable (and likely a bit cheaper)...but that's me.
Old 05-14-20, 09:50 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
A guy I ride with just got this one: https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop...nsion-seatpost He loves it. I've never ridden it but he swears he will never ride anything else.
Old 05-14-20, 11:21 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by chadtrent
A guy I ride with just got this one: https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop...nsion-seatpost He loves it. I've never ridden it but he swears he will never ride anything else.
I've been looking at these lately, as I contemplate what it's going to take for me to get my hardtail MTB back in action. The one you linked has a rider limit of 242 lbs. Some of the other similar models have much higher limits. I wouldn't put one of these on my road bike, but for my MTB I'm seriously considering it.
Old 05-14-20, 11:28 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I've been seriously considering a Cirrus Kinekt BodyFloat suspension seatpost. Variants in AL and Carbon seatposts, and spring selections to allow for riders of different weights.

Haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Can't make any recommendations for it, as I've not yet ridden one. Spoken of fairly highly by the folks at Rodriguez (R&E Cycles) in Seattle, for certain applications.
Old 05-14-20, 04:56 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I've been looking at these lately, as I contemplate what it's going to take for me to get my hardtail MTB back in action. The one you linked has a rider limit of 242 lbs. Some of the other similar models have much higher limits. I wouldn't put one of these on my road bike, but for my MTB I'm seriously considering it.
I’m pretty sure he’s over 242 so I guess we will see how well it holds up.
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 05-26-20, 08:35 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Many years ago I tried several suspension seatposts. I never tried the Thudbuster or any that are mentioned in this blog. Years ago most just were not designed for heavier people or had poor performance or both. I see that they are designing for heavier people now. I had a twin parallel suspension stem for my MTB that worked pretty well. It was better than no suspension at all. Then along came suspension forks. I've often thought that if enough development went into suspension seatposts and stems that all the trickery of a suspended frame could be dealt with. But nowadays they jump so high on the MTB's that a suspended frame is necessary. However gravel road bikes would be a good place for this technology.
Old 05-26-20, 09:38 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Shimano CG-R is really nice but may only be available in 27.2mm. It's not heavy like the thud buster and has so far survived 4500 miles of my 250lbs including bouncing down plenty of rocky trails while only set in to the minimum insertion. I like this post more than I ever imagined.
Old 05-30-20, 12:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I bought my Bike Friday diamond frame Llama with a LT, fit their denser suspension pieces in it. (I'm around 215~220#, &72.. )
and put their older ST on my Koga Trekking bike.. also with higher density pieces in it, replacing the Airwings Tour the OEM pick
now they have featured, a zero setback ST https://www.canecreek.com/product/suspension-seatpost/ I removed a zero set back post , mentioned above..
EE is their lighter weight post , but they may limit the rider weight put upon it..
https://www.canecreek.com/experience-ee-new-page/

I'd send an eMail & ask them.. to know more..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-30-20 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 10:31 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
*subscribes