Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Alpenrose Velodrome, we hardly knew ye

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 10:31 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Alpenrose track closed permanently - Portland Oregon

https://bikeportland.org/2021/02/23/...sed-327021News release from Oregon Bicycle Racing Association:

The beloved racing event site at Alpenrose Dairy is now permanently closed.

That’s the terrible news just released by the Oregon Bicycle Racing Association (OBRA) in a statement released this morning from Alpenrose Velodrome Director Jen Featheringill and OBRA Executive Director Chuck Kenlan:
Dear OBRA and Alpenrose Velodrome Friends,

Although we expected this someday, we are sad to inform you that the Alpenrose Dairy property has been permanently closed to events and all other uses. For us, this includes the velodrome and the surrounding property that is used for cyclocross races. Although we knew that this day would probably come, it is disappointing to not get one final year of racing at this historic property.

We are incredibly grateful to the entire Cadonau Family for the decades of generosity to the Oregon community by allowing all of the groups the use of the land and facilities free of charge. It is truly the end of an era.

Many of us have fond memories of the AVC, the Six-Day, and all the weekly track racing series that introduced so many people in our community to riding one of the most challenging velodromes in the country. There are memories of the first Cross Crusade race in 1994 which was also a Super Cup race and the epic Crusade season openers in the following years. In 2009, Tony and Joe started the Blind Date Series which brought new racers to the sport of cyclocross every Wednesday night in September for 11 years.

We invite you to share your memories of racing at Alpenrose on the OBRA Facebook page here: facebook.com/ORBicycleRacing and the Alpenrose Velodrome Facebook page here: facebook.com/groups/AlpenroseVelodrome.
Old 02-23-21, 10:58 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Sad news - I just saw this myself in a Jerry Baker Velodrome update on FB. Can't believe they can't try to find a workaround to save the v-drome

DD
Old 02-24-21, 02:56 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

The Oregon Bike Racing Association sent out an e-mail this morning informing its members that we would no longer have access to the Alpenrose Velodrome and surrounding facilities, which have been the heart of bike racing in Oregon for over 50 years. It's a sad day for us here. While I've never mounted the walls of the velodrome, I have participated in 62 cyclocross races on the grounds a dozen or two of which have involved passes through the velodrome infield. The Cadonau family which had owned the dairy which hosts the velodrome sold the business and the property to a Seattle-based dairy a couple of years ago. OBRA negotiated a year of access with the new owners, but that year was 2020. Now the new owners have decided they're done with us.

It was nice while it lasted.
Old 02-24-21, 03:45 AM
wsbob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Money wins. Vision loses. Alpenrose Dairy's park grounds in which the velodrome was located, up on one of the ridges between Portland and its nearest big 'burb city, Beaverton, was and could have continued to be, a nice, wooded recreational spot. The velodrome was just one of the park's attractions, which included as well, a softball field, quarter-midget kid's racing, an old west opera house, and other attractions I don't recall. This wasn't a typical amusement park at all, with carny rides and lots of asphalt parking lot.The demand for housing is great, and the temptation to go for big money from condo developers probably is also. It's kind of too bad. Continued use of the land for a park, would be good for this area. But...parks cost money, while housing makes money. Now, Portland has no velodrome available for use.
Likes For wsbob:
Old 02-24-21, 08:49 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Sad day! I tried it out once and determined I needed more miles on the body!
Did Easter egg hunts multiple times with the kids as we lived only half a mile or so away.

I suspect they will bulldoze it down, and turn the land into housing development.
Old 02-24-21, 08:54 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Old 02-24-21, 09:01 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Sad day. I'm not a trackie and I hung my numbers up 40 years ago, but I live 2 miles away and have watched many races there. Stopped by returning from rides to see if anyone is there training. Loved the AVC challenge every July. When it was going full tilt I got to see racing like I thought I would never see in this life. Got to know good people there. Watch beginners start off being coached to ride the banking by people both very good at it and passionate about sharing the love and skills.

The entire park was a huge gift from the Cadonau family to Portland, Oregon and young people. Serious 1/4 Midget racing. The softball World Series. The velodrome and cyclocross. It will be missed. I may be altering rides just because it's going to hurt going by.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-24-21, 09:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Merged duplicate threads

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-24-21, 10:44 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Sorry to hear this. My sis lives in PDX and we took a trip to the velodrome in 2005! Here's some pics. I recall how steep the banking is compared to the local Northbrook track.

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 02-24-21, 12:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
Dang, Portland is shutting something down that's bicycling related?! I think hell shall be freezing over shortly.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-24-21, 12:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
@thinktubes

It was the steepest in the country when it was built, still no. 2 I believe.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-24-21, 12:57 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Agreed. 43° banked turns are right up there with the steepest tracks in the world (and many of those are indoor tracks). Climbing up those banks as a kid in the fall/winter well before I knew what it really was, was pretty difficult. I've ridden Marymoor Park's (Jerry Baker) velodrome with it's "relatively sedate" 23° banks and I find nearly doubling that to be a bit crazy. I'd still love to try it, but it looks like none of us will now. Guess they'll have to figure out a way to smooth the JB track's turns because it basically feels like you're riding an oval version of Seattle streets. Don't know if that was the intent.....
Old 02-24-21, 01:08 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
When I tried and failed, it was a hard right turn to go left! Can you tell I am not track guy! I couldn't get the speed up, in my condition, to negotiate one lap!
Old 02-24-21, 01:40 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Had some comments that disappeared in the thread merge so excuse me if I repeat myself.
Some great riders were developed at Alpenrose, including the late Steve Maaranen, 2x national champion in the 10 mike and Olympian in Mexico City. And at Alpenrose, riders did develop. Once I learned to ride Alpenrose, every other track I rode was a piece of cake. I am glad I got the experience.
But as sad as I am to see it go, I am amazed that it lasted as long as it did. The track itself was flawed.The original design was for a longer track but due to space limitations, the straights were shorted, leaving transitions that would make catching air a real possibility if you weren’t alert. And because it was so close to already existing housing, lights could not be installed.
Then there is the site. A public use recreational facility on private land was an amazing bit of philanthropy, but it’s existence hinged on the the continued generosity of the owners. Once the Cadeau family started suing each other, the end was near. A transfer of the land to the city or Metro would have been a really good idea 25 or even 10 years ago, but with land values being what they are, that is not going to happen in today’s economy. Plus there are ongoing issues with the neighbors. While Alpenrose no longer has cows on the property, as they did at one time, it still is an operating dairy manufacturing facility with its share of dairyish smells from time to time. There are some neighbors who would prefer that no trace of Alpenrose remains in the future.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 02-24-21, 02:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

@Andy_K, Cyclocross record holder for several years running:

Old 02-24-21, 02:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

More cyclocross at Alpenrose. Knowing that there was a good chance that Alpenrose would close down, late 2019 Andy was bugging me about coming down to watch a cyclocross race. Since I live less than 2 miles away from Alpenrose it was hard to say no. I'm glad I went

About 5 years ago I rode down to the track to check it out. Interestingly enough, there was no fencing, nothing to stop anyone from taking a spin around the track. It took several laps to even get the courage to climb up the steep banks. @SJX426 is correct, you need to turn right to get up on the bank to go left.

Last edited by gugie; 02-24-21 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 02:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by nlerner
Dang, Portland is shutting something down that's bicycling related?! I think hell shall be freezing over shortly.
The place is going to hell in a handbasket. Velocult, then Rivelo, Norther, now this.

Might have to bail on this place in a couple of years and open that co-op we discussed.

Old 02-24-21, 02:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by gugie
More cyclocross at Alpenrose. Knowing that there was a good chance that Alpenrose would close down, late 2019 Andy was bugging me about coming down to watch a cyclocross race. Since I live less than 2 miles away from Alpenrose it was hard to say no. I'm glad I went

https://youtu.be/gqQLvftanwg

About 5 years ago I rode down to the track to check it out. Interestingly enough, there was no fencing, nothing to stop anyone from taking a spin around the track. It took several laps to even get the courage to climb up the steep banks. @SJX426 is correct, you need to turn right to get up on the bank to go left.
Always been that way, if there was no event or session going on, anyone could try their luck which especially in recent years was amazing given the litigation society we live in.
Old 02-24-21, 05:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by merziac
Always been that way, if there was no event or session going on, anyone could try their luck which especially in recent years was amazing given the litigation society we live in.
My thoughts exactly. It felt like I was getting away with something the one time I rode around it.
Old 02-24-21, 05:34 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by gugie
My thoughts exactly. It felt like I was getting away with something the one time I rode around it.
I always thought it suffered from being a well kept secret, most people didn't believe it.

We rode it several times back in HS and of course I had planned to get there again but snoozed and losed, again.
Old 02-24-21, 05:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I moved to Portland in '98 for a job on the eastside. A coworker kept telling me about Alpenrose, the velodrome way out on the west side. Bought a house in Garden Home (a short mile south of Gugie) but never looked into the velodrome because "way west" was Hillsboro! It was several years before I discovered it was only two miles away!
Old 02-24-21, 08:00 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by wsbob
Money wins. Vision loses.
That's it, in a nutshell. I raced for several years on (what is now) the Jerry Baker Memorial Velodrome in Redmond, WA but never even rode Alpenrose. Sad news.

Scott Peterson
Newport OR
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 03-01-21, 12:13 AM
merziac

Went out today, drove right in like always, pulled up to the track, saw 3 other guys there that had rode in then saw the barriers maybe 100 ft. out of the turns. Got my bike out of the car and we made 1/2 track laps, 1/2 cross laps around the barriers, beautiful day, great fun.

Yes I got pics but can't get them uploaded yet, standby.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-01-21, 02:12 AM
merziac

Pics of pics