Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grease for freehub body threads when installing cassette

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 10:24 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

When installing my cassette, is it ok if I just use any grease thats on the market to lube the lockring and freehub threads? Or do I have to specifically use an anti-seize ?
Old 05-27-21, 10:30 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Whatever you have handy, I wouldn't use anything expensive though. Save that for loose ball hubs and the like.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-27-21, 10:35 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I just use Park grease, and that's if I think there isn't enough left on the parts from last time. Perhaps if you plan to leave the lockring on for a really long time or in a salty environment you might use anti-seize...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-27-21, 11:09 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
When installing my cassette, is it ok if I just use any grease thats on the market to lube the lockring and freehub threads? Or do I have to specifically use an anti-seize ?
Any grease is fine. In fact, I dribble a bit of oil/chain lube onto the threads instead of smearing grease.. It's easier to apply than grease, and is fine for that application. Note, I usually remove that lockring a couple times a year and never experienced any issues.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 05-27-21, 11:13 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Has anyone ever had a problem with the cassette lockring seizing? The run-off from your chain lube is probably good enough to keep this area permanently gunked up in grease.
Old 05-27-21, 11:53 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Has anyone ever had a problem with the cassette lockring seizing? The run-off from your chain lube is probably good enough to keep this area permanently gunked up in grease.
Never had any problems in 20+ years of home wrenching.
Old 05-27-21, 12:44 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
More than a few of us buy a pound of NLGI #2 synthetic grease and call it a decade...
Old 05-27-21, 01:30 PM
KenCarlson

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
There was one time where I think I forgot to grease the lockring when installing a cassette on my winter bike. Salty winter roads = rusty chain and cassette. It got stuck so bad I broke my chain whip trying get the cassette off the next spring. I ended up cutting the lockring off with a Dremel since the cassette and chain were worn out anyway. (If you ever have to do that, be extra careful that you don't cut into the freehub.)

-Ken