Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire and Tube Availability and Pricing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire and Tube Availability and Pricing

Old 07-29-21, 10:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Nah. They work for a long time. Have left them on for years in the past with no adverse effects. After having patched a tire on a ride, I've left one of these patches on the tube. Eventually the tire wore out and had to be replaced and the patch was still working perfectly.

If you use too little glue, don't clean the tire properly, or allow moisture to get in between a vulcanized patch it will not hold. Plus the glue has a shelf life.
Nah

I have had them lose adhesion after a week riding in 110F temps

Usually, they are good for a few months. They are convenient and fast but not a good long term solution.

Put the cap back on tight. I get years out of mine.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-29-21, 10:05 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Different experiences I guess. I fail to see how they lose adhesion or fail to work when it is pinched/sandwiched between the tire and tube or tube and rim.
Old 07-29-21, 10:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Nah. They work for a long time. Have left them on for years in the past with no adverse effects. After having patched a tire on a ride, I've left one of these patches on the tube. Eventually the tire wore out and had to be replaced and the patch was still working perfectly.
It's nice when a temporary fix punches above its weight and lasts a long time, but when patching tubes at home, why not make them truly good as new?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-29-21, 10:13 AM
GhostRider62

Different experiences I guess. I fail to see how they lose adhesion or fail to work when it is pinched/sandwiched between the tire and tube or tube and rim.
Heat
Old 07-29-21, 01:37 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's nice when a temporary fix punches above its weight and lasts a long time, but when patching tubes at home, why not make them truly good as new?
Well I'm tubeless now, so not a thing.

In the past, I rarely saved a tube that was punctured. Just tossed it in the garbage an put a new one in. Not worth the messy hassle of glue etc. when I can find them on e-bay or elsewhere for $5-$6
Old 07-29-21, 02:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

In the past, I rarely saved a tube that was punctured. Just tossed it in the garbage an put a new one in. Not worth the messy hassle of glue etc. when I can find them on e-bay or elsewhere for $5-$6
Sounds like tube patching was really frustrating for you. Well, those of us still using tubes will keep discussing them, if you don't mind.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-29-21, 02:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Sounds like tube patching was really frustrating for you. Well, those of us still using tubes will keep discussing them, if you don't mind.
The "patch vs new tube" pissing matches do seem to be less frequent now - thanks, tubeless!
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-29-21, 02:33 PM
GhostRider62

Good tubes are more like 15 bucks and it takes 5 minutes to fix them.

I cannot in good conscience throw something into the landfill when repair is to trivially easy.

I have never gotten the vulcanizing agent on my hands. Not once. You must not wait long enough to put the patch on and ALSO take off the clear film from the patch before applying it. Do you read instructions? Or do you just throw those in the landfill?
Old 07-29-21, 02:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The "patch vs new tube" pissing matches do seem to be less frequent now - thanks, tubeless!
And hey, if people want to keep throwing away punctured tubes, they can be my guest -- I saw lots of tubes in the trash this week on RAGBRAI.

I really only bring up the patching thing for anyone who doesn't want to be caught unprepared down the line. Feels nice to have a practically inexhaustible supply of tubes in the basement.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-29-21 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 07:24 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Good tubes are more like 15 bucks and it takes 5 minutes to fix them.

I cannot in good conscience throw something into the landfill when repair is to trivially easy.

I have never gotten the vulcanizing agent on my hands. Not once. You must not wait long enough to put the patch on and ALSO take off the clear film from the patch before applying it. Do you read instructions? Or do you just throw those in the landfill?
I'm not sure what you define as "good tubes" but I was purchasing Continental Tubes and Q-tubes. Between e-bay and U-Cycles I was spending $5-$6 per tube.

I had zero issue patching tubes other than it being a little messy. But like I said...easier and more timely to throw it out than deal with it.
Old 07-30-21, 07:50 AM
GhostRider62

I'm not sure what you define as "good tubes" but I was purchasing Continental Tubes and Q-tubes. Between e-bay and U-Cycles I was spending $5-$6 per tube.

I had zero issue patching tubes other than it being a little messy. But like I said...easier and more timely to throw it out than deal with it.
Supersonics are nice. Silca latex are good.

Continental Race lites at $10 are pretty good, too.

Standard Conti tubes weigh 143 grams and have a lot of rolling resistance and are not "good" aside from being very heavy

Throwing them away is lazy and socially irresponsible, irrespective of price
Old 07-30-21, 07:58 AM
prj71

Standard Conti tubes weigh 143 grams and have a lot of rolling resistance and are not "good" aside from being very heavy
Conti Race Lites is what I used on my road bikes. Q-tube super lite on the mountain bikes. But like I said...I scour e-bay most of the time and pay about $5

Lol. I value my time more than money.
Old 07-30-21, 08:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

Not sure how they compare to latex, but Michelin Aircomps are about 77g and can be found for $6 https://www.benscycle.com/michelin-a..._6315_tu8200/p

MICHELIN AIRCOMP PRODUCT PAGE
Old 07-30-21, 08:36 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure how they compare to latex, but Michelin Aircomps are about 77g and can be found for $6 https://www.benscycle.com/michelin-a..._6315_tu8200/p

MICHELIN AIRCOMP PRODUCT PAGE
Does price justify throwing them away into the land fill?
Old 07-30-21, 10:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Does price justify throwing them away into the land fill?
Not at all and I'm not claiming any such thing. It was you who somewhat suggested though that the $15 you spend is part of your equation as to why you won't just toss them. Or at least it's not clear why you brought up the price of tubes.
Old 07-30-21, 11:03 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Can I just say I kind of love where this thread is heading.

As for Conti tubes being $10 - thats what I currently sell those tubes for in my shop when I have them. I am not making very much on them either.

Old 07-30-21, 12:35 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
As for Conti tubes being $10 - thats what I currently sell those tubes for in my shop when I have them.
And that's why I buy online and not the bike shop.
Old 08-14-21, 08:16 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Bike manufacturers have started adding a surcharge to dealer invoices to pass along the increased shipping container costs, in addition to the usual shipping charges. The one's I've seen range from $30 to $65 per bike, depending on the size and weight of the unit.

Expect to see an "ocean freight surcharge" added to your next new bike purchase.
Old 08-23-21, 07:19 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
CNN article on shipping:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/23/busin...ing/index.html
Old 08-23-21, 07:44 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I live in SoCal and I can see the cargo ships line up for miles at the port of LA
Old 08-24-21, 07:23 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
I ordered some tires and a set of fenders (for an upcoming September tour) from Germany on July 6. Typically I get shipments from them in about 2 weeks, or less. This time the shipment made it to Frankfurt by July 8...and stopped dead. No tracking updates/progress since then. I contacted the vendor a couple weeks ago and they said if there wasn't any progress in week to let them know. No progress..contacted the vendor again and they put a trace on the shipment...the trace takes 4-6 weeks to get a response. Soo..re-buying what I need for the tour more local (online as LBS have nothing that I want), at higher prices. So much for trying to save a couple bucks on July 6.

The article above said the supply chains are "tangled"..good description. Going to be a (long) while before things start to get back in synch.
Old 08-24-21, 11:01 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
The article above said the supply chains are "tangled"..good description. Going to be a (long) while before things start to get back in synch.
Agreed it will be a long time. Thing is I don't think average people understand what a long time is in manufacturing. We don't deal in days or weeks really. It's years and years.

The correction of almost all of this should align almost perfectly with the popping of the demand bubble and/or massive inflation that leads to the popping of the demand bubble. Fun stuff.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-24-21, 04:23 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Agreed it will be a long time. Thing is I don't think average people understand what a long time is in manufacturing. We don't deal in days or weeks really. It's years and years.
Most of my career I was a polymer chemist, though over my last 6 years I developed mathematical computer models to optimize global product distribution networks. (example..you have 3 manufacturing sites in North America and 5 distribution centers, ex-North America you have 6 plants and 10 distribution centers. You have 12 $billion in sales annually. Each plant makes different products than the other plants. Each plant has local, regional specific products as well as products that are sold globally. The questions I'd answer is how to transfer products(meet demand) between all the plants and distribution centers, and end-use customers in some cases via rail, truck, and ocean carrier at the lowest transportation cost as well each dist-center carrying optimal inventory...with significant emphasis on "just in time(JIT)". It would take me 3-12 months to develop a model to answer any one set of questions. Once the model was debugged..I'd hit "go" and the computer would work on the problem for 2-4 days (run models over the weekend). It would then take another 2-weeks to a month to understand what the model was suggesting and why("why" can get rather complex). Making changes to the network is very tough as people prefer to do it the way they've done things rather than transform their network to something new...they're held accountable for meeting customer demand. As a side note.. I used to use $2300-$2700 as the freight cost for a 40 foot container from Rotterdam to the east coast ports in the USA and not much more than that to ship from Asia to the west coast.

The global supply chains we had 2 years ago were the product of old school distribution models continually tweaked over decades to yield low cost and high efficiency, such as it was. When the JIT thing came in, enabled by efficient inbound and outbound transportation networks, the networks and plant production planning (small runs of many products rather than fewer large runs) was revamped and optimized yet again.

Then comes last year. Everything stops, workers are hard to come by, demand disappears, low inventories(by design) are depleted, then demand sky rockets. As I mentioned earlier.. "tangled" is a good term. It's like a big wad of string all tangled up. Everything is preventing everything else from getting started. There will be books written about this (supply chain) debacle. Could make for some good reading.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-24-21, 06:20 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Tubes and tires? My trip last week stopping at some shops there are plenty but some sizes may be out. One place I could get a 700x25/28 tube but with 60mm stem. Needed a 40mm. Found at next shop.