Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First winter with a bike and thinking about an indoor trainer...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First winter with a bike and thinking about an indoor trainer...

Old 07-25-21, 03:51 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have Kick'r core which I have had since October, I love it. I have a fan that goes with it that can vary based on heart rate or speed, and use apple TV as my set up. I use zwift, a little, but find Rouvy and Ful-Gaz much more realistic. Rouvy is based on videos taken from a car, sort of like Google Street view, and Ful-Gaz is based on videos taken from a bicycle. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and both come with a free trial period, I think two weeks, so you can try them out. One thing to look at is your wifi speed, if you don't have a good router, you won't get optimum performance from video based platforms.
Likes For oujeep1:
Old 07-25-21, 03:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by Porknz
The sweat was a thing I hadn't thought of. I mean I sweat when I bike out doors. I suppose that flies off in the wind instead of soaking my bike though.
there's no comparison, you'll see

Edit: Actually, what you're realize is that outdoors it EVAPORATES in the wind and that this is a huge cooling effect. That's why you need the fan indoors.

Last edited by MinnMan; 07-25-21 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-25-21, 04:01 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
An open window isn't really practical in the Minnesota winter. My trainer is in my basement, where if I keep the heat on low, I can keep the temp to about 57°F. That's about ideal, I find. When I start out, it's a little chillly. After my warmup, I turn the fan on (switch is within arms reach). Still, the room temperature goes up about 2-3 ° during the workout.
If you're going hard enough...
Old 07-25-21, 04:03 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
you cannot run zwift from a phone. to my knowledge it must run from PC, Apple, maybe ipad...not sure.
I've run Zwift from an Android phone and an iPhone with no issues. It also runs on an iPad.
Likes For KenCT:
Old 07-25-21, 04:04 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Porknz
I think probably no to the window too. I'll start searching around for a fan that would work though. There is a surface right in front of where I think I'd bike that would probably be perfect for one. The setup is in the basement too, so it's generally cool all year around. The sweat was a thing I hadn't thought of. I mean I sweat when I bike out doors. I suppose that flies off in the wind instead of soaking my bike though. I'll do some more research on that too.

As far as gamification goes, I like video games a lot, so I'm actually kind of hopeful that I might find a nice place between playing video games and riding out doors with zwift. I'll watch some more real time video of it.

Thanks guys.
I used to trainer in a 100* garage in Austin after work in the summer. There were large puddles on the floor on each side of me. It'll be interesting to see how you feel about the temperature. An open window into the cold feels "cold", but when cranking on a real workout you can overwhelm it quickly.
Old 07-25-21, 05:05 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Smart trainer + Zwift finally made the indoor setup work for me. I really enjoy indoor training now, whereas I never really got on with exercise bikes and rollers etc. I also use other cycling apps alongside Zwift, like Rouvy (for high quality video routes) and Sufferfest for hardcore structured training. I come out of winter training in top form now with this setup. I might not ride outdoors for 3 months over the winter and then start smashing PBs in the spring. It's that effective! It's not just for winter training either. Often I can get a higher quality structured workout indoors or simulate something I simply can't do locally outside e.g. a 20 km alpine climb. Typically I might do 2 or 3 indoor training rides during the week and longer outdoor rides at the weekend when I have more time.

Some good setup advice on this thread too. You will sweat a LOT! Fans and towels are essential. Check out DC Rainmaker reviews for smart trainer hardware and setup - so many options out there now. Start with Zwift for software.

My indoor setup is pretty simple: Elite Direto X smart trainer + road bike + large fan + iMac + Zwift/Rouvy/SUF
Old 07-25-21, 05:53 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Smart trainer + Zwift finally made the indoor setup work for me. I really enjoy indoor training now, whereas I never really got on with exercise bikes and rollers etc. I also use other cycling apps alongside Zwift, like Rouvy (for high quality video routes) and Sufferfest for hardcore structured training. I come out of winter training in top form now with this setup. I might not ride outdoors for 3 months over the winter and then start smashing PBs in the spring. It's that effective! It's not just for winter training either. Often I can get a higher quality structured workout indoors or simulate something I simply can't do locally outside e.g. a 20 km alpine climb. Typically I might do 2 or 3 indoor training rides during the week and longer outdoor rides at the weekend when I have more time.

Some good setup advice on this thread too. You will sweat a LOT! Fans and towels are essential. Check out DC Rainmaker reviews for smart trainer hardware and setup - so many options out there now. Start with Zwift for software.

My indoor setup is pretty simple: Elite Direto X smart trainer + road bike + large fan + iMac + Zwift/Rouvy/SUF
exactly. i used to try to do some workouts over the winter but since having the trainer, as boring at is can be sometimes (zwift makes is much less boring), it is wonderful to have. a local climb i have is now so darn easy the first time in the season, i was so amazed. rain or not, smoke or not, cold or not, dark or not, i now have an alternative.
Old 07-25-21, 05:55 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I used to trainer in a 100* garage in Austin after work in the summer. There were large puddles on the floor on each side of me. It'll be interesting to see how you feel about the temperature. An open window into the cold feels "cold", but when cranking on a real workout you can overwhelm it quickly.
totally agree. in winter when i ride in the garage it might be 20F outside and 40 inside. i start out pretty darn cold but within 5 minutes i am already sweating and the fan is blowing away. 40 can feel downright wonderful at times.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-25-21, 06:54 PM
rousseau

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Zwift is a game-changer. To those of you who don't like trainers but haven't tried Zwift, you don't know what you're missing.

Protip: Make or get yourself a rocker plate to allow for side-to-side motion to better mimic the experience of real outdoor riding (if your smart trainer doesn't already incorporate that). The main problem with traditional trainers is the static position your bike is stuck in. It feels like you're perched on top of a hatchet.

Old 07-25-21, 08:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Zwift is a game-changer. To those of you who don't like trainers but haven't tried Zwift, you don't know what you're missing.

Protip: Make or get yourself a rocker plate to allow for side-to-side motion to better mimic the experience of real outdoor riding (if your smart trainer doesn't already incorporate that). The main problem with traditional trainers is the static position your bike is stuck in. It feels like you're perched on top of a hatchet.

https://youtu.be/DHS0XyEQ1tI
Agree about Zwift. As to the rocker plate, this is a very interesting suggestion for those of us who are already deeply in to using our trainers. I'm not a DIY kind of guy, but it's something to think about. For the OP, I think he's got some more basic stuff to work out first.
Old 07-26-21, 08:30 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I now have a pretty ideal setup. I did not like any of the trainers that use the rear tire so I got a Wahoo Kickr....game-changer for me. I then added the Wahoo CLIMB. Now Zwift is quite pleasurable to use for a couple of hours. I do have a gravel bike for winter rides outside if the roads are not great, and a fat bike for trail riding in the autumn and winter...snow mainly but also when trails are just frozen-ish or even iced over (I use studded tires when the snow starts to melt and refreeze). The Wahoo has been amazing, and I hook it up to a big flatscreen TV. All this has really made winters a time when I do not lose much fitness, and way more fun.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 07-26-21, 08:52 AM
PeteHski

Agree about Zwift. As to the rocker plate, this is a very interesting suggestion for those of us who are already deeply in to using our trainers. I'm not a DIY kind of guy, but it's something to think about. For the OP, I think he's got some more basic stuff to work out first.
Yeah a rocker plate is an icing-on-the-cake addition for later. I've never bothered with one, but I can certainly see the appeal. Some trainers do also have a limited amount of lateral flex built-in, like the Tacx Neo models.
Old 07-26-21, 08:57 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Well, the new Kickr has those feet that flex a little to let the bike move around a bit, but I really like the CLIMB. I hear there is a (or coming soon) something that also makes the front wheel turn as the road winds. You can't use it with the CLIMB but that sounds pretty cool. A combo CLIMB-TURN hardware would be great.
Old 07-26-21, 06:08 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
love my kickr core in combination with Rouvy,

Old 07-26-21, 07:21 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Well, the new Kickr has those feet that flex a little to let the bike move around a bit, but I really like the CLIMB. I hear there is a (or coming soon) something that also makes the front wheel turn as the road winds. You can't use it with the CLIMB but that sounds pretty cool. A combo CLIMB-TURN hardware would be great.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/07/...accessory.html
Old 07-26-21, 08:09 PM
Chandne

Well there we go! Too funny. I was under a rock for a for a few months.
Old 07-26-21, 08:36 PM
spelger

pretty good read. i always liked the idea of the kicker but could just not justify the cost. but this is 1100 bucks? all it is is an under powered stepper motor with a long lead screw, some extruded aluminum and really really simple logic. has to be about $200 in parts at most and half of that is probably the PCB.

did not know the kicker climb used a belt. nice design choice wahoo.

i noticed that the rizer does not appear to have the rotational movement that the kicker has as the "grade" changes.
Old 07-27-21, 12:26 AM
rousseau

Agree about Zwift. As to the rocker plate, this is a very interesting suggestion for those of us who are already deeply in to using our trainers. I'm not a DIY kind of guy, but it's something to think about.
Gotta say, I've done both the non-lateral thing and the lateral thing. Once you go side-to-side, the static position is something you can no longer abide. By extremely dumb luck I got a Lynx VR worth some $4,500 (US3,500 I think) for just about $400 from an ex-pro cyclist who I suspect got it given to him for free but never ended up using it. It's a tank-like contraption with a roller on the back that lets the bike move naturally enough to make for a decent facsimile of the outdoors. If I hadn't gotten this I probably would have ended up with some kind of rocker platform, because the difference between this and a standard trainer is like night and day. I can't overstate how much I absolutely hated my static dumb trainer. I gave up on it years ago because it bored me to tears and it bored into my butt.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21162660-post31.html

Old 07-27-21, 05:49 AM
PeteHski

Gotta say, I've done both the non-lateral thing and the lateral thing. Once you go side-to-side, the static position is something you can no longer abide. By extremely dumb luck I got a Lynx VR worth some $4,500 (US3,500 I think) for just about $400 from an ex-pro cyclist who I suspect got it given to him for free but never ended up using it. It's a tank-like contraption with a roller on the back that lets the bike move naturally enough to make for a decent facsimile of the outdoors. If I hadn't gotten this I probably would have ended up with some kind of rocker platform, because the difference between this and a standard trainer is like night and day. I can't overstate how much I absolutely hated my static dumb trainer. I gave up on it years ago because it bored me to tears and it bored into my butt.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21162660-post31.html

Do you use that bike on the road? With the rear totally free on the roller and all the lateral load going straight through the forks I would think it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 07-28-21, 03:02 PM
rousseau

Do you use that bike on the road? With the rear totally free on the roller and all the lateral load going straight through the forks I would think it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Interesting, that never occurred to me. Yes, I do use the bike on the road as well. However, on the trainer I don't do any out of the saddle sprinting, nor do I strain much laterally against the handlebar with my hands or the rest of my body, so I would think that I'm not really putting any undue stress on the forks. Can't quantify that precisely, though.
Old 07-28-21, 04:30 PM
PeteHski

Interesting, that never occurred to me. Yes, I do use the bike on the road as well. However, on the trainer I don't do any out of the saddle sprinting, nor do I strain much laterally against the handlebar with my hands or the rest of my body, so I would think that I'm not really putting any undue stress on the forks. Can't quantify that precisely, though.
That type of trainer (in terms of holding the bike by the fork with a floating rear) was pretty common back in the 1980s. But as a mechanical engineer I wouldn't be too happy with the load on the forks. I would definitely keep a very close eye on the forks and dropouts for cracks.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-28-21, 06:36 PM
rousseau

That type of trainer (in terms of holding the bike by the fork with a floating rear) was pretty common back in the 1980s. But as a mechanical engineer I wouldn't be too happy with the load on the forks. I would definitely keep a very close eye on the forks and dropouts for cracks.
Duly noted. I'll add that the stand that the forks are attached to has a little bit of lateral give in it as well, hopefully mitigating the load somewhat.