Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0 vs Trek Domane AL 5 Disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 07:07 PM
e36er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I’ve been on a few group rides over the past few week and am really enjoying it. I’d like to get my first decent road bike and have my options narrowed down to these two. I’m looking for an aluminum frame, 105 group set, and disc brakes.

Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0
Trek Domane AL 5 Disc

I’ve read about what a great value Canyon is but I’m not seeing major differences between it and the Trek. The Canyon is $100 cheaper and maybe has better tires/wheels, but not sure. It seems to be lighter. Am I missing anything significant?

The Canyon is also estimated to be in stock sooner, but since this is a long term purchase, I’m willing to wait.

Given the limited stock due to the pandemic, I haven’t been able to test many bikes. I’ve also online compared these two to the Giant Content AR1, Cannondale Synapse 105, and Specialized Allez Elite (but that doesn’t have disc brakes).

I’d really appreciate any advice on deciding between the Canyon and Trek or if there is an even better option in the $2000 range.
With the pandemic, I haven’t been able to find something close to these to try out.
This is my first post on Bike Forum but have really enjoyed searching through the wealth of info here. I hope to contribute to the community as I learn more. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 07-27-21, 07:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
The Endurace geometry is a little more aggressive than the Domane. Longer reach, steeper head angle, shorter wheelbase. Although the Endurace does have a high stack height. So they are going to ride a little differently and the Domane is going to be the more relaxed and stable ride of the two. The Endurace will be a little sharper handling.
Another option to consider would be the Giant Defy Advanced, which are usually good value for money.
Old 07-28-21, 07:30 AM
e36er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for pointing out that difference in geometry. The Defy looks great as well but is a carbon frame and I had settled on Aluminum.

The biggest downside I see to the Trek Domane is it being heavier by almost 3 lbs. It appears that much of that might be due to the heavier wheels (~564g) and wider tire size (32 vs 28). Is that a difference significant enough to go with the Canyon Endurace?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The Endurace geometry is a little more aggressive than the Domane. Longer reach, steeper head angle, shorter wheelbase. Although the Endurace does have a high stack height. So they are going to ride a little differently and the Domane is going to be the more relaxed and stable ride of the two. The Endurace will be a little sharper handling.
Another option to consider would be the Giant Defy Advanced, which are usually good value for money.
Old 07-28-21, 08:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by e36er
Thanks for pointing out that difference in geometry. The Defy looks great as well but is a carbon frame and I had settled on Aluminum.

The biggest downside I see to the Trek Domane is it being heavier by almost 3 lbs. It appears that much of that might be due to the heavier wheels (~564g) and wider tire size (32 vs 28). Is that a difference significant enough to go with the Canyon Endurace?
No worries, you are welcome. Don’t worry about the weight difference. It’s not important at this level at all. Both bikes are decently light. I wouldn’t worry about frame material either if the bike is within your budget. Carbon frames are generally more expensive, but I mentioned the Defy as it might be still within your budget.
Old 07-28-21, 09:27 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I debated on the Canyon versus Trek last year before buying a Domane SL5. In the end, my decision was influenced by the fact that Trek has stores everywhere and if there was a problem with the bike I could simply take it to a store to get the problem resolved. I also read some unflattering reviews about Canyon customer service when people had problems with the frames, so that was a consideration considering no local presence.

After getting it, I added the Ion RT200/Flare RT lights with the Blendr mounts for a very integrated light set, and Bontrager carbon wheels.

Really enjoying the bike, and no ragrets.
Old 07-28-21, 07:51 PM
e36er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
No worries, you are welcome. Don’t worry about the weight difference. It’s not important at this level at all. Both bikes are decently light. I wouldn’t worry about frame material either if the bike is within your budget. Carbon frames are generally more expensive, but I mentioned the Defy as it might be still within your budget.
Excellent advice. I’ll see if I can get a hold of a Defy. Thank you again.
Old 07-28-21, 07:54 PM
e36er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I debated on the Canyon versus Trek last year before buying a Domane SL5. In the end, my decision was influenced by the fact that Trek has stores everywhere and if there was a problem with the bike I could simply take it to a store to get the problem resolved. I also read some unflattering reviews about Canyon customer service when people had problems with the frames, so that was a consideration considering no local presence.

After getting it, I added the Ion RT200/Flare RT lights with the Blendr mounts for a very integrated light set, and Bontrager carbon wheels.

Thanks, the LBS benefit could be a deciding point for me assuming the Trek or Giant come in stock.
Old 07-29-21, 05:16 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I went thru the same options in 2019. Chose the Domane SL5. I prefer having a local LBS and free first tune up.
Old 07-29-21, 09:32 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31

Really? Not even one letter?
Old 07-29-21, 09:49 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
Really? Not even one letter?
Would have liked to add an "R" and a higher number, but that wasn't in the budget. Still no ragrets.
Old 07-29-21, 03:18 PM
e36er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
I went thru the same options in 2019. Chose the Domane SL5. I prefer having a local LBS and free first tune up.
Thx, leaning towards the Domane even more!