Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using the pad adjusters

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Using the pad adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 04:46 PM
OJ1999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using the pad adjusters

Hi guys,
im new to long distance cycling and am just doing some background research on safety /essentials before buying my bike.

so I’ve been watching a video about aligning disc brakes on a mechanical system.

the start of the video talks about using the pad adjuster to bring the pads closer to the rotor if the pads are slightly worn.

so my first question: is there a quick way to tell whether my pads are worn without having to remove the wheel?
Ie are there noises I should listen for which will tell me the pads are worn?

second question how far toward the rotor should I move the pads? At what proximity from the rotor should they be and how can I tell that they are close enough to the rotor?
what cues can I look for which will tell me they are close enough to rotor?

thanks I’m advance
Old 07-30-21, 09:55 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Obviously this post should be in the 'bicycle mechanics' section, not GD. If you're not familiar w/ how forums work take a look around, there are many sections for specific topics.
How to tell if your pads are worn? Look at them. Google or whatever 'bicycle disc brake pads' and have a look at them. There is a backing plate and there is friction material bonded to that. When the friction material gets worn down to about 1.0mm you need to replace them. You can look through the caliper from front, back, or even above and see the whole deal...rotor, pads, pistons. To adjust your mechanical brakes you need to adjust the stationary piston in and then re-center the caliper. Do NOT use the barrel adjuster on either the lever or caliper, they're only function is to take up cable slack, not adjust for wear.
Likes For cxwrench: