Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

75mph OK with a roof rack?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

75mph OK with a roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 10:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Brennan
One system is not necessarily better than the other. It all depends on your needs. For my needs, carrying the bikes inside or on the back are definitely not better.
Carrying bikes inside is better for gas mileage. Rear racks are next in terms of gas mileage reduction.

There may be other reasons for carrying the bike on top but I wasn't addressing those...just gas mileage.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-22-09, 12:26 PM
cachehiker
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LongIslandTom
Are you sure there are no hitches available for your new car?
When I asked the local dealership about putting a hitch receiver on a Suzuki SX4, they told me they wouldn't honor any part of the drive train warranty because it wasn't rated for towing. Funny thing is it's rated to tow 200 kg. overseas. I guess good old American excess hasn't heard of such a thing. If it can't haul a couple of snowmobiles or a few ATV's, it ain't worth having to the "men" on my street.
Old 12-22-09, 12:46 PM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After I got rid of my old Hyundai Accent (which served me well with the hitch I had installed), I bought a new Toyota. I also asked the Toyota dealer where I bought it about having a hitch installed, and he told me the same thing-- The warranty won't cover any powertrain damage resulting from towing because my new car isn't rated to tow.

I dug a little deeper and contacted Toyota Customer Care to clarify, and it turns out that installing the aftermarket hitch on my new Toyota in and of itself won't void the warranty-- If there is a problem with the powertrain and they can see it is a result of towing (such as an overheated automatic transmission torque converter) or not adhering to their maintenance recommendations, then they will not cover it.

Reassured, I went and have the hitch installed on my new Toyota. I have no intentions of using it for towing-- It's only for lugging my bikes around.

In your shoes, I'd check with Suzuki to clarify what their policy is. Personally I would have no qualms putting a hitch on your car.
Old 12-22-09, 01:21 PM
cachehiker
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Subaru instead and I'm much happier with it than I thought I'd be.

The Suzuki dealer always said they had one on the way but never did get a stick shift in for me to drive.

I'm kinda funny that way. After driving nothing but sticks for 30 years, automatics seem weird. You can do more hypermiling with a stick too.

I never could get past the first impression that this dealer would do anything in its power to avoid honoring a warranty either.
Old 12-23-09, 12:28 PM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I drove a subaru outback for 10 years with a roof rack - 27 mpg with and without the bikes on it - yakima, 2 fork mounts, one wheel mount (for the lefty, of course!). After 337,000+ miles and the last kid obtaining his own car & license, I retired the subie. I think the mpg rating for that car is 26/28 without the rack, so.... no dif?
Old 12-23-09, 01:55 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by apclassic9
I drove a subaru outback for 10 years with a roof rack - 27 mpg with and without the bikes on it - yakima, 2 fork mounts, one wheel mount (for the lefty, of course!). After 337,000+ miles and the last kid obtaining his own car & license, I retired the subie. I think the mpg rating for that car is 26/28 without the rack, so.... no dif?
Gas mileage is going to depend on a number of factors...not the least of which is speed. You might not notice much decrease in gas mileage at low speeds but increase the speed to the kinds that fuelbymetal is talking about and even an empty rack will have an effect. At 75 mph, a bike on that rack will have a significant impact.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-23-09, 11:29 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's fine on a sunny day, but... if it rains, a 75mph jet of water for 2hrs will ruin any bearing's grease in short-order... just think about pressure washing your bicycle headset, front-hub and etc for 2hrs straight, not cool.

Always try to keep your baby inside! Even if it means breaking it down... strangers might steal it, birds and rocks might fly into it, garage doors may try to crush it, etc...
Old 12-25-09, 02:57 AM
Falchoon

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
You have to be really lacking in the situational awareness department to do that, sorry. I read of that happening, and the only thing I have to say is to do it you have to be downright clueless.
Nearly everyone I know that has a roof rack has driven into their carport, garage or other low place with the bike on. Personally I transport my bike in the back of my car (small hatchback sedan similar size to Ford Focus) but if I'm going away for a few days I really struggle to fit all my gear in the car - probably because I tend to overpack, a habit I picked up from my mum!
Old 12-26-09, 08:09 AM
ejbarnes
Determined Survivor

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Specialized Transition, Kona Paddy Wagon, Giant TCX. Lots of bikes in the Garage.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
You have to be really lacking in the situational awareness department to do that, sorry. I read of that happening, and the only thing I have to say is to do it you have to be downright clueless.
Boy now you have to be really careful!
I know of people that have used a roof rack for many years stripping the bikes off the top by pulling into the garage or a some other low point.

I work on communication towers as a second job and every now and then I need to slip with a wrench, just to remind me where I am.

Familiarity can build inattentiveness. That is why factories have inspection, news papers have proof readers, and computers have spell checkers. Still complacency lets that error get past.

Carry around a couple of $3000 or whatever price bikes and keeping them out of the elements, away from thieves and low enough to get into the garage becomes a good idea.
Old 07-19-21, 07:51 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Zombie thread resurrected by a spammer. Thread cleaned up and closed.