Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adding color to a titanium bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Adding color to a titanium bike

Old 03-05-11, 10:19 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman

By nachomanh at 2010-11-09

Some very loud handlebar tape.
What was your experience working with Bill Holland? Did you think of using Joe Bell to add some color to your frame?
Old 03-05-11, 10:49 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Have you added a splash of color to perk up/accent the [dreary] grey that is Ti? Maybe a powder-coated fork, or even painting the frame...not necessarily the whole frame? There's only so much that changing handlebar tape can do.

Looking for suggestions for a possible Salsa Fargo Ti build.
Thanks!
On my 96 Litespeed Classic, I am into changing the bartape, seat, tires to my colors. Maybe stickers and seatpost to different colors too. But the frame will stay the same..

Old 11-23-21, 09:34 AM
Ride for Pizza

Bikes: 2007 LeMond Chambery (deceased)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I've gone with green accents on my titanium bicycle. I have a green Brooks saddle, and a green Carradice Pendle, and when the bicycle is complete, it will have a green fork and green handlebar tape. We've got the paint and tape already, it's just a matter of me switching to another bicycle to ride so the work can be done.
Do you have a pic? I am starting the process of a custom Ti frame from Seven and want a bit of color with bare metal.
Old 11-23-21, 09:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride for Pizza
Do you have a pic? I am starting the process of a custom Ti frame from Seven and want a bit of color with bare metal.

Look at the date of the thread before you post. The thread died 10 years ago and doesn’t need to be raised from the dead. Start a new thread.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-23-21, 10:10 AM
Ride for Pizza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Look at the date of the thread before you post. The thread died 10 years ago and doesn’t need to be raised from the dead. Start a new thread.
I saw the date, it's an old post, but obviously not dear and buried. I don't want to start a new thread asking for that specific picture.
Old 11-23-21, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Are you aware that you have a ti builder right in your backyard? The Cerakote was applied in Sellinsgrove, which is that all that far from Harrisburg. Anodized finish is also an option.

Old 11-23-21, 11:30 AM
Ride for Pizza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Are you aware that you have a ti builder right in your backyard? The Cerakote was applied in Sellinsgrove, which is that all that far from Harrisburg. Anodized finish is also an option.

I am, and I reached out. Last update I got was that I was on the waitlist (probably a few months) to get into the queue which would be an additional 12-24 months. I love the work I have seen by Engin but the bike I was riding got totaled, so the prospect of waiting 2+ years is tough.
Old 11-23-21, 11:38 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Have you added a splash of color to perk up/accent the [dreary] grey that is Ti? Maybe a powder-coated fork, or even painting the frame...not necessarily the whole frame? There's only so much that changing handlebar tape can do.

Thanks!
Since the dominant color on my unpainted Litespeed is yellow (the large downtube decals), I went with yellow as the color theme - yellow/black Rubino Pro tires, yellow/black "splash" bar tape, yellow Jagwire cable set. At one point, I had a nice yellow/black Selle Italia MaxFlite saddle, but it wore out and NOS replacements on eBay were crazy money, so a plain black Max Flite will do. No pics handy, alas.
Old 11-23-21, 11:48 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The Cerakote was applied in Sellinsgrove, which is that all that far from Harrisburg.
Do you know the name of the business that did the coating?
Old 11-23-21, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steamer
Do you know the name of the business that did the coating?
www.paintbytodd.com
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-23-21, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

I am, and I reached out. Last update I got was that I was on the waitlist (probably a few months) to get into the queue which would be an additional 12-24 months. I love the work I have seen by Engin but the bike I was riding got totaled, so the prospect of waiting 2+ years is tough.
Shame. I suspect it's a parts issue. If you saw his display at the Philly Bike Expo you probably saw the bike he's been building for my ex. We saw the frame at the shop over the summer after it had been partially welded. Problem is that he cannot get the high end SRAM group she wants. Mine is 2016 vintage. Present to myself for paying off the mortgage in only 11 years. No parts shortages back then. His shop is amazing. It's in his parents' former carpet cleaning business. He has a different machine for each part of the bike. One of his lathes is from the Department of the Navy. And he makes his own dropouts now with the CNC mill he acquired around the time he was building my frame.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-23-21, 12:16 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Since the dominant color on my unpainted Litespeed is yellow (the large downtube decals), I went with yellow as the color theme - yellow/black Rubino Pro tires, yellow/black "splash" bar tape, yellow Jagwire cable set. At one point, I had a nice yellow/black Selle Italia MaxFlite saddle, but it wore out and NOS replacements on eBay were crazy money, so a plain black Max Flite will do. No pics handy, alas.
Good lord this is old. I was skinnier, had more hair, and fewer dogs back then. I never did the Salsa Ti build. I got a steel Salsa. Still have it. It's a tank that fits me wonderfully. However, I have essentially gone recumbent. My uprights sit getting dusty. C'est la vie.
Old 11-23-21, 12:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Since the OP is back, I thought I'd share my story. I've got two custom ti's from the same builder 2008 and 2011. First one I had painted red. Red forks and frame back to just behind the brake bridge and chainstay support. A black panel on the DT with red builders name. Simply because I always wanted a red bike. Second ti has a red painted fork. The rest is the builder's brushed ti.

I am hard on finishes. Somewhat clumsy and bikes will always be tools for me. I've dabbed pant into several paint chips on the red bike. Not perfect but the chips no longer scream at me. The builder has refurbished the ti on the second bike at least once; putting on new decals. Overall the work to keep them good looking is near a toss. The first bike stands out in a crowd. The second bike is considerably harder to find.

I look at ti as just another metal like steel or aluminum except - you do not have to paint it. There are places for the color "cloud flat grey". Between winters in Ann Arbor and years in the PNW, I've gotten to know that grey really well. But I only need so much of it in my garage.
Old 11-23-21, 01:17 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
i like the look of the early nineties —-

battleship grey brushed Ti with anodized accessories.

recently refurbished my old Ti bike - it was originally painted but i stripped it to reveal the dull gray underneath (the chai stays are still polished, but I did not bother to touch them)
It was honestly the plan to source the anodized bits n pieces to color coordinate it, but it seemed like stuff like that was a lot easier to fuss with when i was younger

The folks making quality anodized stuff (Ringle’ Control Tech, Cook Bros, Pauls etc) have gone out of business so you’re stuck looking for good condition old parts or getting creative
i’d rather be riding- but those art projects are fun to look at
Old 11-23-21, 01:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
i like the look of the early nineties —-

battleship grey brushed Ti with anodized accessories.

recently refurbished my old Ti bike - it was originally painted but i stripped it to reveal the dull gray underneath (the chai stays are still polished, but I did not bother to touch them)
It was honestly the plan to source the anodized bits n pieces to color coordinate it, but it seemed like stuff like that was a lot easier to fuss with when i was younger

The folks making quality anodized stuff (Ringle’ Control Tech, Cook Bros, Pauls etc) have gone out of business so you’re stuck looking for good condition old parts or getting creative
i’d rather be riding- but those art projects are fun to look at
there are tons of anodized bits available today, from a ton of different brands. I think more today than in the ‘90s.

Also, Paul Component are still around; I’ve got their Boxcar stem and Tall & Handsome seatpost adding flair to my Ti rig:

Last edited by chaadster; 11-23-21 at 01:54 PM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-23-21, 02:48 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
A company near me does mirror polishing on Ti bikes. I would love to have my Litespeed polished up but think it might be a nightmare trying to keep it looking good.

Old 11-23-21, 03:18 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Razorrock
A company near me does mirror polishing on Ti bikes. I would love to have my Litespeed polished up but think it might be a nightmare trying to keep it looking good.

Uh Oh ! I didnt need to see that-- they are close enough for me to pay a visit while in the area doing some MTB'ing --- That would certainly add some pop to this thing. I hate to admit to laziness though, but this darn thing works so well right now i almost wouldnt want to disassemble it

Last edited by DMC707; 11-23-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-23-21, 03:23 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by chaadster
there are tons of anodized bits available today, from a ton of different brands. I think more today than in the ‘90s.

Also, Paul Component are still around; I’ve got their Boxcar stem and Tall & Handsome seatpost adding flair to my Ti rig:

I guess i didnt look hard enough -- You sir , are costing me money ! LOL

Ooooops - everything sold out at Pauls. But i still havent seen much outside of Alibaba and Amazon type stuff . Your bike looks great BTW !

Last edited by DMC707; 11-23-21 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-23-21, 03:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Brushed Ti... Sort of cries out... Lamborghini DeLorean of the bike world...
ftfy
Old 11-23-21, 04:17 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts

Thanks!
The most beautiful frame I have ever seen was a Ti RANS Stratus that had translucent metal flake paint.
Old 11-23-21, 06:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by DMC707
I guess i didnt look hard enough -- You sir , are costing me money ! LOL

Ooooops - everything sold out at Pauls. But i still havent seen much outside of Alibaba and Amazon type stuff . Your bike looks great BTW !
Thanks! I actually have other purple anodized bits on it now, including a seat collar from Engin and derailleur pulley wheels from JRC Components.

I don’t know what you’re looking for, but you can get ano’d stuff like stems and seatposts from well-known brands like KCNC, Tune, Woodman, and Hope Tech, who also do ano disc rotors. Anodized chainrings chainrings from Absolute Black and Gabaruk; chainring bolts, seat clamps, headset spacers from Wolftooth; ano hubs, headsets, bottom brackets and axles from Chris King; more hubs, headsets and seat clamps from Phil Wood and White Industries; bottle cages from Supacaz and Silca; cranks and brakes from LitePro; all the water bottle cage bolts and headset caps you can stand from Kustom Caps, and colorful pedal options from Xpedo.

I’ve got, on this and other bikes, ano bits like barrel adjusters, disc and cassette lockrings, handlebars, brake calipers, cranks, brake levers, GoPro and compiter mounts.

Really, there are so many options for anodized color bits, don’t blame me if your bike winds up looking like a Christmas tree!

Back in ‘93, I ordered a Fat Chance Yo Eddy! Team frameset and had to custom polish cranks, seatpost, stem, bar ends and rims to get the gold look I wanted to go with the metal flake purple frame. It came out fantastically— too good, even; it was targeted for theft within two months— but would be much easier to do similar today because of the growth of the bike industry.
Old 11-23-21, 06:16 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
One thing to think about is the inherent flexibility of titanium and its effect on paint.

Many years ago, a customer at a shop I worked for brought in a painted titanium bike that was showing cracks at the driveside bottom bracket/chainstay weld. In order to determine if it was just the paint cracking as a result of frame flex or if it was actually a frame crack, he ended up having to strip the paint in that area. Fortunately, it turned out to be the paint, but stripping it ruined the look of the bike.

I've always assumed that this was the reason ti frames are usually unpainted.
Old 11-23-21, 10:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Rolla
One thing to think about is the inherent flexibility of titanium and its effect on paint.

Many years ago, a customer at a shop I worked for brought in a painted titanium bike that was showing cracks at the driveside bottom bracket/chainstay weld. In order to determine if it was just the paint cracking as a result of frame flex or if it was actually a frame crack, he ended up having to strip the paint in that area. Fortunately, it turned out to be the paint, but stripping it ruined the look of the bike.

I've always assumed that this was the reason ti frames are usually unpainted.
Hmm. I wouldn’t think that’s the reason. Lots of stuff that flexes around a lot more than a Ti bike frame gets painted, like coil-over springs on car shocks.

The reason Ti often goes unpainted is purely for aesthetics, IMO, a way to distinguish and make special the material.
Old 11-23-21, 11:50 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Lots of stuff that flexes around a lot more than a Ti bike frame gets painted, like coil-over springs on car shocks.
True, although springs are often powder coated.

The reason Ti often goes unpainted is purely for aesthetics, IMO, a way to distinguish and make special the material.
That's probably one reason, but paint can chip more readily on titanium; it requires some kind of etching primer to get paint to adhere well.
Old 11-24-21, 12:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
How's the Cerokote holding up, Mr. Indyfabz? Any cracking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.