Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Damaged Nerve

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-21, 04:55 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Unhappy Damaged Nerve

Hello. During the start of the currently month i had a crash with my roadbike. I had some minor fractures and the worst of all i had on my face , the cheeckbone.
My cheeckbone were fractured and pressed towards the inside plus the hematoma. I had to be moved from another hospital since on my city is not working properly (i left unconscious for hours and i still can't remember anything).
Two days after the crash i had my operation to fix my cheeckbone. They decided to operate from the inside of the mouth to reduce the scars on my face (well , sound bad and good at the same point).
After the operation i had a strange feeling on my face and i decided to talk with a doctor. You had a "nerve damaged" he said, but the strange thingh is that i had almost more feeling before the operation.
Today , after 16 days of the operation (and 18 from the crash) i can't feel mostly of my face...
My upper lip , my left cheeck , my left eyelashes , left nostril and half nose.
I know the recovery is very long but since i'm home i had to admit that i'am overthinking...
Seems nothing , but there is a lot going on even of those small parts...
I can't drink properly from a glass , i can't breath with both nostril (at least normally) , i can't talk since i feel my lip stuck and last but not least i feel like a "cripple" while kissing my girlfriend....

i know actually i have 50% change to recover but i want help the body with all my possibilities.
  • Do you guys have any advice regarding "how to help the body with the regeneration of the nerve?"
  • Do you guys had someone with any nerve issue? did him/her solved the problem?
  • Is normal that after the operation i had the "anesthesia" feeling and some other parts that were normal as the lip now is more problematic?
Old 11-20-21, 08:42 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,105 Posts
Earlier this year I fell down and wacked the side of my foot on the pedal. My podiatrist said it was nerve damage, not broken bone.

You can encourage healing by controlling inflammation. You do that by avoiding refined foods. I eat a lot of fruit. Exercise will improve circulation, as will gentle heat.

This is just a guess, but it sounds like one or more nerves got cut in the operation. Sometimes they heal, sometimes they don't. Good luck.
Likes For late:
Old 11-20-21, 09:08 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
CrowSeph , sorry about your crash. With respect to nerve damage, the spine surgeon that saved my life in 2014 told me to give it a few years and what doesn't come back consider it to be permanent. Yes, it takes a long time but what you need to do in the meantime is get or stay healthy through diet, exercise, medicine, mental health, and keep kissing your girlfriend. You'll get used to it.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 11-23-21, 01:15 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Sorry to hear of this. I would consult a neurologist. You may have an onset of Bells Palsey coincidental with your surgery. Common treatment is a steroid regimen to reduce inflammation. If not then the surgeon most likely accidentally cut the Trigeminal (facial) nerve during surgery hence the paralysis. .
The partial facial paralysis you describe is consistent with Bells Palsey symptoms. There is a ton of information about it on the web.
I suffered a rather severe case in 1997 and still have very slight paralysis in the nerve-damaged areas of my face (left side only).
Hope you heal.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 11-23-21, 01:36 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Long story but my right hand was almost completely severed and reattached. As a result I suffered some pretty significant nerve damage. It took many years but I eventually recovered most of the feeling/sensation in the hand. My digital dexterity isn’t great and I have the grip strength of a five year old little girl but it could have been a lot worse. The docs were actually amazed at how well the hand healed.
I think it helped that I was young.
My best wishes on your recovery.
Likes For Rage:
Old 11-23-21, 03:27 PM
CrowSeph

@late i took steroid 1mg x 5d + antibiotics and other stuff. I'm currently try to balance my diet but as hard i try is always a problem since my feeding is not super wide.
@2seven0: i don't think is the bells palsey's paralysis because i can do all my face expressions , just the sensibility is gone.
@Rage: wow that's impressive.

update: today while showering i started coughing , basically i was inaling water without feeling it...

ps. thanks everyone for the good recovery whishes
Old 11-23-21, 03:53 PM
2seven0

It is good you have no paralysis or muscle weakness that means only your sensory nerves are affected not the motor nerves.
Hopefully you can still taste all that great Italian food!!
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 11-23-21, 05:00 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
It took me a long time to come back from it. You will bounce back too.
Weird things like what happened in the shower will become normal. It’s no big deal. You’ll get better. Just may take some time.
I was burning myself in the kitchen for years before my hand regained sensation. My pinky finger took the longest to heal. Over ten years!

Please keep us up to date on your recovery.
You are going to be fine. Allow yourself the time to recover. My hand was like a withered chicken’s foot for almost two years after the surgery. It looks almost normal now but it was some time before people stopped asking what happened to it.
Likes For Rage:
Old 11-24-21, 02:43 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Rage
It took me a long time to come back from it. You will bounce back too.
Weird things like what happened in the shower will become normal. It’s no big deal. You’ll get better. Just may take some time.
I was burning myself in the kitchen for years before my hand regained sensation. My pinky finger took the longest to heal. Over ten years!

Please keep us up to date on your recovery.
You are going to be fine. Allow yourself the time to recover. My hand was like a withered chicken’s foot for almost two years after the surgery. It looks almost normal now but it was some time before people stopped asking what happened to it.
thanks , that comforting me a lot!
Old 02-01-22, 04:33 AM
CrowSeph

Hello , i want to make a little update.
  • The sensitivity lever has been improved a lot but still i cant have some issue regarding my nose (sometimes i cant feel when is running , mostly when i practice sports), also sometimes 1/10 i inhale water during showers whitout feeling.
  • Other problems sometimes come back , i had an oedema in the shoulder/deltoid/pectoral/bicipet. I had to skip physiotherapy due to the covid preventive-quarantine (one of my family member had it and i was not infected, still today i'am one of those who never had covid). Since the starting of january i never had any pain , but 2 days ago until today those parts of my arm were sooo damn in pain.
I think the reason were two , first are cold-related. Some days ago we made a route in the snow and during half route we had to stop and swap or clothes since the sweat , cold and wind is not a great addition. I had to fully strip my upper body in the open nature and then putting my dry clothers on. The second reason is that i had to move some eavy object inside my home , probably those episodes stressed the muscle a bit too much. Yesterday i sleept more than 10+ hours for the pain , i had to position a pillow so i can place my arm directly on it so i was not feeling any pain but the rest of the body was not super comfy. I'm not those who can stay naked at very low temperatues , but i prefer colder days then the summer. One year ago i went to the same route with a summer gear plus a undershirt , sleveless jacket for wind protection and additional sleeves. This year after those problem i'am feeling more fragile with those temperatures , my face became rigid as wood and even smile became difficult and the sensibility drop a lot. So i feel the urge to costantly cover half of my face...Also actually i'am riding more my mountainbike than my roadbike , i can't feel comfy as i was before the crash... Still the off road vibration and jumps do not stress my body as my roadbike position. Mentally i'am feeling surpassed , i'm tryng my best go get back on my ideal weight and power but is very difficult since i fell more energy depleted and less motivated. Now after those days pain i have the fear that i had to quit riding my roadbike... Also i fear that i'll not became good as old days , my body seems to block me in the training part and my mind seems to block me during the technical places due to the amygdala's activation (feeling the fear and insecurity). To aggravate the everything , i don't have the super quick reflexes of the pre crash. I has able to see a little rock during a fast road downhill and to avoid in the last minute. The last particular detail , make me thinking a lot more. I had zero damage on my brain but still there is the fear that something has been changed , i had a concussion and i left unconscious for hours in my city damn hospital.

Maybe i had to focus more on my mental helth than the physiological one....

Maybe this is more an outburst than an actual update

Last edited by CrowSeph; 02-14-22 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 05:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Hello , i want to make a little update.
  • The sensitivity lever has been improved a lot but still i cant have some issue regarding my nose (sometimes i cant feel when is running , mostly when i practice sports), also sometimes 1/10 i inhale water during showers whitout feeling.
  • Other problems sometimes come back , i had an oedema in the shoulder/deltoid/pectoral/bicipet. I had to skip physiotherapy due to the covid preventive-quarantine (one of my family member had it and i was not infected, still today i'am one of those who never had covid). Since the starting of january i never had any pain , but 2 days ago until today those parts of my arm were sooo damn in pain.
I think the reason were two , first are cold-related. Some days ago we made a route in the snow and during half route we had to stop and swap or clothes since the sweat , cold and wind is not a great addition. I had to fully strip my upper body in the open nature and then putting my dry clothers on. The second reason is that i had to move some eavy object inside my home , probably those episodes stressed the muscle a bit too much. Yesterday i sleept more than 10+ hours for the pain , i had to position a pillow so i can place my arm directly on it so i was not feeling any pain but the rest of the body was not super comfy. I'm not those who can stay naked at very low temperatues , but i prefer colder days then the summer. One year ago i went to the same route with a summer gear plus a undershirt , sleveless jacket for wind protection and additional sleeves. This year after those problem i'am feeling more fragile with those temperatures , my face became rigid as wood and even smile became difficult and the sensibility drop a lot. So i feel the urge to costantly cover half of my face...Also actually i'am riding more my mountainbike than my roadbike , i can't feel comfy as i was before the crash... Still the off road vibration and jumps do not stress my body as my roadbike position. Mentally i'am feeling surpassed , i'm tryng my best go get back on my ideal weight and power but is very difficult since i fell more energy depleted and less motivated. Now after those days pain i have the fear that i had to quit riding my roadbike... Also i fear that i'll not became good as old days , my body seems to block me in the training part and my mind seems to block me during the technical places due to the amygdala's activation (feeling the fear and insecurity). To aggravate the everything , i don't have the super quick reflexes of the pre crash. I has able to see a little rock during a fast road downhill and to avoid in the last minute. The last particular detail , make me thinking a lot more. I had zero damage on my brain but still there is the fear that something has been changed , i had a concussion and i left unconscious for hours in my city damn hospital.

Maybe i had to focus more on my mental helth than the physiological one , but is already hard for the situation i'm currently on... (i'am currently unemployed and day by day i feel the urge to start a family on my own, i'm feeling wasted and this damn country do not help at all...)
I definitely need to make a new tread to tell how everything is happened, and what everyone should have and known for those situations.

Maybe this is more an outburst than an actual update
I've had neurological pain for 6 years, the kind where you cannot sleep.

I don't think your pain will make you less able to make power. In fact, it could be the opposite. When your legs start to complain on a climb, you can laugh at them because you know what real pain is. This will give you ability to ride harder than you have done in the past.

With respect to countries. Want to trade?
Old 02-01-22, 06:09 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I've had neurological pain for 6 years, the kind where you cannot sleep.

I don't think your pain will make you less able to make power. In fact, it could be the opposite. When your legs start to complain on a climb, you can laugh at them because you know what real pain is. This will give you ability to ride harder than you have done in the past.

With respect to countries. Want to trade?
is not a pain in the leg , basically i can even handle the handlebar with one arm. What kind of damage do you have? It's the type of damage that have the feeling of burning?
Old 02-01-22, 06:49 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
two things from "personal" experience: My wife essentially took her hand off the bones at the wrist (the hand was bent back, the wrist split and the bones were protruding) The ortho doc explained to her that the "average" time for nerves to repair from severe trauma (not severed) is 1 mm per month. Older people might take longer. Her experience was right on the money with almost 100% recovery as she took on the hobby of knot-tying to force her hand to work.

Obviously that won't work with facial nerves but the bottom line is that you may well expect a full recovery but it will not be fast. Or fun.

the other, more personal, experience was the one time I got hand-cuffed. The arresting officer exclaimed "you have big wrists" as she struggled with the cuffs (My writs are close to 8" in circumference - apparently that's big?). Having the wrong-sized cuffs didn't stop her from forcing them on the world's most-compliant suspect (lol).

The cuffs caused me nerve damage on my left thumb that took over 2 years to repair itself to where I can't feel the issue any longer.

I wish you the speediest of recoveries... hope for a miraculous recover, just don't expect it.

Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 02-01-22, 06:52 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
is not a pain in the leg , basically i can even handle the handlebar with one arm. What kind of damage do you have? It's the type of damage that have the feeling of burning?
That's nerve pain. There are sensory and motor. Sensory damage is numb, tingling, burning, electrical zapping feeling and even just some air blowing on it hurts like hell. Motor nerve damage is weakness like you can't pick up a coffee cup weakness or very weak grip.

\
Old 02-03-22, 01:46 PM
2seven0

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
That's nerve pain. There are sensory and motor. Sensory damage is numb, tingling, burning, electrical zapping feeling and even just some air blowing on it hurts like hell. Motor nerve damage is weakness like you can't pick up a coffee cup weakness or very weak grip.

\
Absolutely correct. Full disclosure I'm NOT a neurologist but my extensive interaction with several top docs at UCLA & UCI while seeking treatment for severe case of Bell's Palsey taught me alot about nerve disorders. I'm fairly certain that CrowSeph's maladies are a direct result of (unintentional) nerve damage during surgery. They can manifest pain in several ways depending on the severity of the damage e.g. burning, aching, extreme sensitivity, painful response to a non-painful stimulus etc. Damaged nerves essentially have to heal themselves. Sometimes healing is full, partial or absent. A damaged nerve sheath can also result in "cross-wiring" (for lack of a better term) in which different nerves re-connect. Example in my case eating spicy food results in a runny nose and tearing (left side only). Some of my facial muscles move when I intend to move an adjacent muscle.
This is one of the last frontiers of medical science and as other posters have noted often time is the only healer you just have to stay as healthy as possible and keep your fingers crossed.
Best wishes,
WEst
Old 02-24-22, 11:44 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The more circulation to those areas the better. Consult a practitioner that has expertise in natural means of improving circulation in your face. Acquire a taste for hot chili, but work up gradually. Taking niacin can create a histamine flush which will get more blood and nutrients to those tissues. Hot and cold therapy can do the same thing. Of course nothing like a brisk morning ride to bring the blood up in your face. I wish you the best of luck.
Likes For Gyro_T:
Old 02-26-22, 12:57 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 265 Posts
Hello. During the start of the currently month i had a crash with my roadbike.
I can't drink properly from a glass , i can't breath with both nostril (at least normally) , i can't talk since i feel my lip stuck and last but not least i feel like a "cripple" while kissing my girlfriend....
Can you tell us what you were doing and the details of the incident?

It would be a very constructive discussion for those reading and how they can avoid in the future.

And I myself never want this to happen to me in my lifetime.
Old 02-26-22, 01:33 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by soyabean
Can you tell us what you were doing and the details of the incident?

It would be a very constructive discussion for those reading and how they can avoid in the future.

And I myself never want this to happen to me in my lifetime.
Sure but for me is still not clearly. I remember the road before the crashing point. My friends told me that during downhill i hit a pothole , my bike launched me forward and then i rolled more than 10meters into the asphalf.... And then i woke up into the hospital.

Until today my sensibility in the face is the same as described in my previous messages , my finger is totally healed but i can feel a mark on my skin (is a bit deformed were my skin was missing).
Also i started again to lift a bit of weight for fitness purpose and my shoulder seems not to be painfull, but i had to admin , during my last bike training i've used a shoulder's band to keep it warm... Seems that the cold is very negative for the shoulder even if is passed more than 3 months.
Old 02-26-22, 01:50 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 265 Posts
during downhill i hit a pothole , my bike launched me forward and then i rolled more than 10meters into the asphalf
Understood.

This edifies my own judgement that I always slow down to single digit speeds during steep grade downhills.
Old 02-26-22, 02:38 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by soyabean
Understood.

This edifies my own judgement that I always slow down to single digit speeds during steep grade downhills.
usually i took more speed as i can, but during that day i decided to slow down since the road was a bit wet in some points. I think that decision saved my life , by looking at the gps track when i crashed i was around 12 MpH.... if you think i got that amount of damage at relative moderate speed , just think how much worste could be if the speed were doubled or more....

There is no reason to hurry , i'am not racing and if i do i want to focus every bit of energy on climbing.
Old 08-29-22, 08:59 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Nerve damage

Hello. During the start of the currently month i had a crash with my roadbike. I had some minor fractures and the worst of all i had on my face , the cheeckbone.
My cheeckbone were fractured and pressed towards the inside plus the hematoma. I had to be moved from another hospital since on my city is not working properly (i left unconscious for hours and i still can't remember anything).
Two days after the crash i had my operation to fix my cheeckbone. They decided to operate from the inside of the mouth to reduce the scars on my face (well , sound bad and good at the same point).
After the operation i had a strange feeling on my face and i decided to talk with a doctor. You had a "nerve damaged" he said, but the strange thingh is that i had almost more feeling before the operation.
Today , after 16 days of the operation (and 18 from the crash) i can't feel mostly of my face...
My upper lip , my left cheeck , my left eyelashes , left nostril and half nose.
I know the recovery is very long but since i'm home i had to admit that i'am overthinking...
Seems nothing , but there is a lot going on even of those small parts...

i know actually i have 50% change to recover but i want help the body with all my possibilities.
  • Do you guys have any advice regarding "how to help the body with the regeneration of the nerve?"
  • Do you guys had someone with any nerve issue? did him/her solved the problem?
  • Is normal that after the operation i had the "anesthesia" feeling and some other parts that were normal as the lip now is more problematic?
I've had more than one nerve damage incident, one from a throat operation, one from spinal cord damage. The same things applied to both.

It will take a minimum of a year for all the damage to repair/stabilize/change. The first three months are usually extreme. In the case of my throat, all the numbness went away. In the case of the spinal cord damage, I ended up with some nerve pain that bothers me somewhat in the cold weather, but isn't really that bad. At the worst, the spinal cord damage was excruciating and turned me into a crippled man. It got better, fortunately.
Old 09-03-22, 04:43 PM
CrowSeph

update:
i've sone almost a month of electrostimulation and now i have recovered a little bit of sensitivity.
But also i'm in a list to be operated again, the nerve damage is a thing a part but the pain near my cheeckbone seems to be related to the titanium plate and the screws. Doctors said probably when they will remove them the pain will slowly fade.
Old 06-03-23, 01:01 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Chesterfieldway
You are going to be fine. Allow yourself the time to recover. My hand was like a withered chicken’s foot for almost two years after the surgery.
thanks a lot. I got operated again a few month ago, and also my sensibility has recovered a bit... not too much but i belive is more a "forget" than a recovery itself.