Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 05-20-22, 03:43 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Did a 73.5 mile round trip out to the dead end road in a quiet little place called Clarks Valley this morning and early afternoon. I saw a coyote pup that wasn't more than a foot long wandering around on the roadside out there, quite a rare sighting and a first for me despite spending a lot of time out in local natural areas!

I'm fatigued but feeling good and the '54 Carlton was supremely comfortable all the while. Had a headwind and kept it in a low gear most of the way out and on the way back I managed to hold 20-22mph for most of the last 15 mile stretch before getting back into town. Chain slipped off the Simplex pulley cogs a couple times, as usual...

Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 05-20-22 at 03:47 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 05-20-22, 04:14 PM
v8powerage

Bikes: Giant Cadex 980C

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Does yesterday counts? LIttle valley very pleasant when it's hot.

Old 05-20-22, 09:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Rode about a mile today with my five year old daughter. She on her Spawn Banshee and I on "my wife's" Rivendell Glorius.

We bought this thing about four years ago, I think. (edit - more than six years!) The frame is wonderful, high quality and beautiful. I presume it's a Waterford build. My coworker who is into Rivendells couldn't get his wife to ride it. My wife couldn't pass up the great deal he offered us, but it's a size to big for her at 5'5" and a bit too user-unfriendly. So she never rode it either. She lost a lot of weight recently and might be more comfortable with correct fit. Maybe I could get her to try it again. It fits me at 5'8"... It's really nice and I don't really like it. The upright position and short cockpit just feels a little strange. The brakes are crap (I should check if they have the right pull setting), the barcons on the swept handlebars hit my knees. (Funny enough the current iteration of this bike, Platypus, has v-brakes and is displayed with thumbies.) I'm not sure what to do with it. Wife had a fantasy of somehow shortening the frame - but since that's basically the same as a new frame that's what it would be and that's not cheap. I also bought her some trigger shifters that I never installed. She has another townie that fills the role for her. It has trigger shifters and V-brakes and mattress saddle and it fits her, but it just isn't special. Prior owner asked for right of refusal if we ever sell it, as a condition of the screaming deal he gave us. But I don't think she could let it go. I don't think my daughter will ever get this tall.

The Expert TG tire debacle a few days ago almost repeated. First pump up I got the rear to around 20 psi and saw the tube hemmoraging. Got it buttoned up and did the ride but it was going squeak on every rotation. Once home I gave it a full inspection - and discovered a 26x1.25 tube in the 650b tire! Knowing the prior owner he knew it wasn't quite right and was just trying to get something to work, back when 650b was still iconoclastic. The tire isn't snug on the rim either so the tube weasels its way out if you don't stay on top of it, and once pumped a bit I needed to shove the bead around a bit to get it seated right. Of course by the time I ever ride it again it will be flat as a pancake and I hope I remember to start this all over.

I'm trying to ride all the bikes in the garage this month. Dad's Paramount next. I don't know if the tandem will make it but I have hope.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-20-22 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-21-22, 04:32 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Have spent the last several weeks doing a full nut and bolt restoration/refurb on the '87 Schwinn Voyageur that I picked up off the Berkely CL when we were out in California for Eroica. The CL pickup was a story in itself.
After putting it all back together shiny and clean, decided to address the one major aspect I dislike about this Voyageur iteration: the brakes. Or rather, the 'speed attenuation suggestion appliances'. Regardless of how well they are adjusted, they simply do not perform up to my expectations/riding style. After a bunch of weaseling and measuring, determined that Tektro 539 nutted calipers would slip right in behind the original canti mounts and attend to the original Wolber 27" rims, which are now shod with new Pasela's. When paired with the bars, stem and Shimano SLR style levers seen in the pic below, the bike now actually stops well. Foolishness will continue.

Very nice, Doc. Remind me to park mine on the other side of the earth from yours. Mine looks just like yours - if you rode it thru mud then dumped a load of 2A modified on it, dug it out then lashed skanky racks and toe straps to it. Otherwise, pretty much the same

I recently dragged mine behind the car up to near Easton, PA to explore the Palmer Township trail. A very enjoyable trip, a combination of beautiful trail sections, lots of shade, easy and difficult/dangerous road crossings, glass smooth pavement and badly rooted pavement and an interesting l-o-n-g decent to the Lehigh River connecting to the D&L trail then the Lehigh canal. Glad to have Google Maps with bicycling turned on as the trail signage was poor, missing or wrong. But I got it done.

Of course that long decent became a long accent but, surprisingly, this old fool just put his head down, focused and cranked right up the whole thing in “one go”. WHAT? Where did that come from? Then, as fate would have it, I flatted about 2 miles from the car. First front wheel flat in ages.* But I was well prepared and rolling again in about 20 minutes. Around 30 miles all together.

* crashed, of course, but no damage.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 05-21-22, 08:57 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
I should come up there some time for a day ride with you!
Old 05-22-22, 08:51 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Thankful to post this thread

Just cruisin around on a dry and 60*+ day.
Heavenly.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-22-22 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-22-22, 11:47 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
Stop at Crockett Hills. Awesome weather for a ride.

j
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-22-22, 12:31 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
First ride on the 23mm Vittoria Corsa G2.0 tires today. LOVE them! Oh, so smooth! Just an amazing tire.
Only stopped for one pic. Statue of Attilio "Rocky" Castellani, who was born in Luzerne, PA:
Likes For BFisher:
Old 05-22-22, 08:53 PM
Kilroy1988 

Just went out for about ten miles to check how the repacked Avocet front hub on the '79 Mercian worked out. That seemed fine but it's pretty tight and has some resistance because I don't want the seals to slide off again... Then the rear wheel slipped to the left and rubbed the powder coat right off the chain stay before I could stop safely to correct it, and that happened two more times before I noticed the derailleur hanger was actually slowly working its way forward! So I got home and tightened everything up and really hope I have the kinks out before next weekend when I want to do a century on it... Will just have to wait and see about that!

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 05-23-22, 04:46 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Kilroy1988 ^^^^^^^^ Something looks off on that RD hanger, though maybe just camera angle. The slot in the hanger should be the same 10 or 11mm width as the slot in the DO. Yours looks well spread. And I always place mine, and see others, all the way back in the DO slot which also provides more surface area for the hanger to grip the DO. Yours looks only half way back. If so and the hanger slot is spread, that may be why the DS if pulling forward - insufficient grip at the joint. Those hangers already have a tough job to do as they have no teeth to grip the side of the DO as the QR skewer does on the NDS. I wonder if, with the hanger slot spread, the DS skewer nut has minimal surface area to bind the hanger and DO together.

Study several RD claws and installs to see how yours compares. I would not have done it the way you’ve done. Or if, in person, all is actually OK, then ignore this dizzy ole man.
Old 05-23-22, 06:38 AM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by Prowler
Kilroy1988 ^^^^^^^^ Something looks off on that RD hanger, though maybe just camera angle...
Thanks for the information, but in this case the bolt securing the hanger was just not tightened up properly - I had forgotten to give it a final go when I put the bicycle together recently so it slipped forward into the position in the photo. If I had an issue with it I would have asked. This is it now.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 05-23-22 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 05-23-22, 11:47 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Sunday was the first day of shorts and short sleeve jersey weather in Portlandia. @Andy_K came up with a Screaming Chicken ride to Gaston and back. We neglected to take a picture at the diner, here's an older one from a few years ago.

Late spring means lots of fields of blooming red clover. I picked one of them for the obligatory pic. We applied the traditional helmet kickstand to hold the bikes up.

Red clover here is grown for seed, trivia here.

Last edited by gugie; 05-23-22 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-23-22, 02:12 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I was able to get a couple of rides in this weekend while the rest of the family was out of town for a special event.

First was the Nimitz trail in Berkeley. Nice and easy paved section, and then a surprisingly difficult unpaved.

So by what measure is this uphill a Level 2?

And then a dry run of a monthly Bay Area ride organized by members here. This is the only pic I managed, as the ride wiped me out. (I am long out of fitness, so don’t let me deter anyone.)

Old 05-23-22, 05:32 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
A multi sport day..

Sunday was likely the last day of skiing this season and the weather was very cooperative so why not celebrate it with a multi-sport day? I packed my skis and my bike and headed up to Crystal Mountain Resort.

All geared up and ready to hit the slopes..

Multi Sport Day by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The snow started off firm and chunky but softened up nicely as the sun warmed things up. Classic spring skiing. Started off doing laps on groomed runs while the sun did it’s work on the front side. Within an hour, the softened corn snow off piste was ripe for the picking.

Going up REX by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Once the snow starts to get mushy and sticky it’s time for the last run of the season, stay close to the trees where there’s some shadows and ride the slushy bumps until the snow peters out near the resort base.

Picked my way down Lower Ferks for last run by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I was wearing my bike clothes under the ski pants so it’s a simple change back at the car into my bike shoes and off I go to ride over Cayuse Pass.
A fast descent from the ski area down to the Mount Rainier National Park entrance where I duck under the “Road Closed” gate and begin the ascent to Cayuse Pass.

Put the skis away and headed into the park by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

My mind wanders as I look at the Mountains ahead, plotting ski lines down their slopes.

really pleasant temperatures by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The snowpack deepens rather suddenly about a mile from the pass summit.

The snow builds up rather quickly in the last mile to the pass summit by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Cayuse is reached and the road going from there up to Chinook Pass is chained off - closed to hikers and bikers due to high Avalanche risk. Park Rangers are there to ensure no one goes past the chains. I drop down the other side of Cayuse to get some more riding in.
It is noticeably cooler here and the snowpack, deeper. I descend several miles to the tunnel that I make my turn around spot.

Down the backside of Cayuse by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

My turn around point by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Then begin the long climb back up to Cayuse Pass
A peek a boo view of Rainier by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Another long descent down Cayuse Pass to the Park entrance and one last climb back up to the ski area and it’s time for a past ride lunch on the resort patio….

lunch on the patio back at Crystal Mountain Base by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 05-24-22, 03:48 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
How the hell do you follow that!

Skiing, riding, climbing an actual mountain, all in a days fun.

So I took one of my "Gorge" rides today, 12 whole miles.

It was fantastic, weather was stellar.

Old 05-24-22, 08:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by merziac
How the hell do you follow that!
Skiing, riding, climbing an actual mountain, all in a days fun.
Winged skis, Helium tires.

a sane man would drive back down to the 410 to start the ride.
but the days are getting longer.
Old 05-24-22, 11:13 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Winged skis, Helium tires.

a sane man would drive back down to the 410 to start the ride.
but the days are getting longer.
It worked out perfectly. Ride down from the Ski area while folks are still driving up, return when most folks are leaving.
Total ride was less than 34 miles, 4300 ft gained, none of it terribly steep.
Cayuse Pass is a special place if you can ride it before they open the road to Vehicles.
DOT will be opening the road Memorial Day weekend but Chinook will take longer to clear so another chance to hit a mountain pass car-free in the near future.
Wanna join me?
Likes For northbend:
Old 05-24-22, 12:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by northbend
It worked out perfectly. Ride down from the Ski area while folks are still driving up, return when most folks are leaving.
Total ride was less than 34 miles, 4300 ft gained, none of it terribly steep.
Cayuse Pass is a special place if you can ride it before they open the road to Vehicles.
DOT will be opening the road Memorial Day weekend but Chinook will take longer to clear so another chance to hit a mountain pass car-free in the near future.
Wanna join me?
Yes. But only if you ride your ride and allow me to slog along.

"...none of it terribly steep", is a very relative statement.
Old 05-24-22, 01:20 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 413 Posts
First ride on the Austro Daimler since pastorbobnlnh overhauled the freewheel for me. Nice and smooth, working great!
Picture on a MUP bridge over a creek that feeds into Lake Superior. A bit cool today still, upper 50's F..

Old 05-25-22, 07:14 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
[QUOTE=noobinsf;22516975]I was able to get a couple of rides in this weekend while the rest of the family was out of town for a special event.

First was the Nimitz trail in Berkeley. Nice and easy paved section, and then a surprisingly difficult unpaved.

/QUOTE]

That looks great. Makes me want to do my own exploring on the Nimitz trail. It's about an hour out & back ride from my house to the Nimitz trailhead at Inspiration Point in Tilden Park--a frequent after-work, pre-dinner ride when I have the chance--but I've always stuck to the main roads. Any more specific details or route suggestions?
Old 05-25-22, 08:09 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
42 miles on the bike trail today on the Bob Jackson Diamond Jubilee 753.
No pics, but gotta say that Tricolor 8 speed downtube shifted is just….lovely.
As is the Bob Jackson.
Old 05-25-22, 08:28 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
Pasadena

Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 05-25-22, 08:47 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
[QUOTE=gaucho777;22520096]
Originally Posted by noobinsf
I was able to get a couple of rides in this weekend while the rest of the family was out of town for a special event.

/QUOTE]

That looks great. Makes me want to do my own exploring on the Nimitz trail. It's about an hour out & back ride from my house to the Nimitz trailhead at Inspiration Point in Tilden Park--a frequent after-work, pre-dinner ride when I have the chance--but I've always stuck to the main roads. Any more specific details or route suggestions?
Take the main trail out to the Nike Radar site for the view and for the challenge, go back down on the Havey Canyon trail. It is single track, bikes only, but you still get the hikers on it. It meets up with the Wildcat canyon trail at the bottom and you can go down to Alvarado park and catch the Arlington or go back up to Tilden.

Nimitz Trail South Trailhead
https://maps.app.goo.gl/A5GRWiyJJnfEiKjm7

Last edited by curbtender; 05-25-22 at 08:53 PM.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-25-22, 10:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
[QUOTE=gaucho777;22520096]
Originally Posted by noobinsf

/QUOTE]

This was my first time on the Nimitz, and I started at Inspiration Point, going past the end of the paved part, which was about 4 miles. I ventured past to the San Pablo Ridge trail, which I quickly realized was above my skill level, and maybe my brakes. So, I turned around and made it an 8-mile out and back. Next time, to make it more interesting, I’ll start somewhere on Wildcat Canyon Road and figure out a loop. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to ride anywhere, so the short ride with views was a pleasant afternoon.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-26-22, 05:57 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts
Yesterday I was fully intending on doing a tough climbing ride on my modern (but somewhat C&V inspired) road bike. Instead, I woke up to wet roads and decided to just take it easy and ride my '76 Grand Jubile. This is my only C&V rider at the moment, and what a lovely one for it to be 44/17 fixed gear and Velo Orange "Porteur" bars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.