Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Full Face Shield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 01:58 AM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Full Face Shield?

Too bad this project never got off the ground. The mirrored visor in particular looks bad ass! Is there anything comparable or even similar on the market?

https ://bikerumor.com/2016/02/12/protect-your-entire-face-from-winter-wind-and-precipitation-with-the-visorx/
Old 06-07-20, 04:12 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
https://boucliervisors.com/products/...gaAj-FEALw_wcB

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-07-20, 04:25 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Didn't see much on a quick search. Somehow got a feeling the idea works better than the reality.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-07-20, 06:08 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by jjafterdark
too bad this project never got off the ground. The mirrored visor in particular looks bad ass! Is there anything comparable or even similar on the market?

Https ://bikerumor.com/2016/02/12/protect-your-entire-face-from-winter-wind-and-precipitation-with-the-visorx/
not
Old 06-07-20, 06:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
That would draw some attention
Old 06-07-20, 11:50 AM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've seen the boucliervisor as well. Was hoping for a clear shield option as well as the cool mirrored look. I'm fine with the bouclier as there seems no other viable options as of now.
Old 06-07-20, 11:55 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
rain would get in between the helmet and visir like it does on my giro helmet. but unless its anti fog it may really get steamy.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-08-20, 08:42 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
It might be fine for leisurely spins around the neighborhood, and possibly for winter riding, but I would think it would get real hot real fast with any kind of effort.
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 06-08-20, 09:27 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Those aren't bad ideas. I've long thought about this kind of thing. I wear prescription eyeglasses and switching to sunglassed or putting wraparound sunglasses on top has been a bit of an annoyance.

The visors don't need to cover the entire face, just to your nose would do. And when it rains, flip it up and it keeps your glasses dry and clear.
Old 06-08-20, 10:35 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I use a Wideyez.
All-Weather Bike Helmet Shield, Bicycle Helmet Visor :: Wide Eyez
Old 06-08-20, 10:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
While I might normally scoff at this type of product, I can see a useful application. In high winter winds, let's say ~20mph and temperatures at or below freezing, your eyes can really dry out or tear up. It's a bit uncomfortable. I find myself riding with my eyes closed for short periods of time just to recover.

So, I'd be interested in how the shield handles various wind angles. I'm not discounting this, but I'd really like to hear from actual riders under realistic conditions.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-09-20, 09:28 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I was wishing for something like this when I rode into a swarm of small insects this morning. I must of inhaled just as I hit them as I ended up with insects up my nose and in my mouth.
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 05-15-22, 12:48 PM
kim100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is older as I'm looking for another visor similar to the Bouclier visor that has since shuttered (as a gift). If anyone has found a full face mask, let me know. For those that asked above I am a HUGE fan of the Bouclier visor and I'm convinced that some manufacturer from China could make a knock off version for $1 and yet there is no other company that offers anything similar. I purchased as the full face visor provides stellar sun protection (sunscreen is not enough) but I found other benefits. Visor serves as a bug shield (you'll never accidentally ingest a few bugs from a swarm you run into), wind protection - protects my eyes and face especially imp't during the winter and it has this ratcheting hinge so you can adjust upwards or downwards as much as you want. So yes, for the really, really big hills, I'll lift up the visor a bit for more air flow but otherwise the visor stays down the entire ride as you get lots of air from the side and below the mask. I never had issues w/fogging and it was easy to take off if I wanted (which I rarely did).
Old 05-15-22, 08:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
How does it do at speed, say 40mph downhill?
Old 05-16-22, 04:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I have a "Basecamp" brand helmet that takes tinted & clear face shields but they don't cover the whole face
they do reduce ventilation, so sometimes fog when I stop, so when I do I move it to the up position. another downside is, it prevents me from using my sunglass, eyewear mounted mirror. in the summer, when it's really hot, I just use sunglasses. when it's cold I sometimes combine it with a balaclava

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-16-22 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 01:16 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
It might be fine for leisurely spins around the neighborhood, and possibly for winter riding, but I would think it would get real hot real fast with any kind of effort.
Not having wind on your face will make you feel plenty hot. And if you're riding in colder weather, I'd think it'd fog up pretty easily.
Really, never once have I ever been out riding and thought, "I really need a face shield on this helmet."
Old 05-17-22, 06:49 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
For me, I would like to know how well it works in cool to cold weather. Would be nice to keep the wind off of my nose, mouth, and eyes. Just wondering if it world fog up much or if there is enough air circulation to stop that from happening.
Old 05-19-22, 11:41 AM
kim100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
For me, I would like to know how well it works in cool to cold weather. Would be nice to keep the wind off of my nose, mouth, and eyes. Just wondering if it world fog up much or if there is enough air circulation to stop that from happening.
At least for the one that I have, you can select how much of your face you want to cover w/the visor and adjust accordingly if it gets foggy. I remember I got caught in a snow storm once and was so grateful to have the face visor (but forget my gloves that day - ahhh!) and I can't recall that it got too foggy (you can angle it so your cheeks and eyes are covered but you are not exhaling onto the face shield). You could always use an anti fog shield which I remember was fairly effective w/swimming goggles.

BTW, what I have is a very simple, light piece of plastic. Completely non rigid so it flexes on your helmet and about as thick as what some products get packaged in. It's very simple.

And to each their own in terms of whether they want a full face shield, but beyond the bugs and wind protection, it's good to have an extra layer of protection against the sun to prevent skin cancer.
Likes For kim100: