Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Bike help for a handicapped neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-21, 01:47 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Bike help for a handicapped neighbor

Hi folks,
I’d appreciate some guidance on building a bike for a neighbor who was born without forearms. His fingers came out at the elbow on both arms. Thru constructive surgery he has short forearms, but his elbows don’t function & are set at ~100 degrees. He has no thumbs, so gripping brake levers, handlebars, etc. could be an issue. Considering all that he’s been through​​​​​, he has a great attitude.
He has been asking me about a bike for a few years now, but I took it as just being friendly. Since the Covid-19 restrictions have been relaxed, he has gotten more serious. Plus, his doctor told him he needs more exercise.
The other issues are that he just turned 70 & is only 4’10” tall. He’s OK with a trike as long as it is not one of “one of those low slung” things. I was thinking about a multi speed coaster brake set up with laid back riser bars.
More suggestions?
Thanks & regards,
Van
Old 07-26-21, 02:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Do you know if he has ever learned to ride a 2 wheel bicycle?

I like the "low slung trikes"

The "Delta" trikes are a bit more of a mid height and might be worth considering.

How flat is your riding area? Parks?

I think you're on the right path with coaster brakes. Many of the trikes are set up with an idler pulley, and could easily be converted to a small IGH with minimum expense, but it might not hurt to just try out a single speed trike and see if he likes it.

4'10 is a bit short, depending on the actual body proportions. Large kid trikes seem to be rare, but there are a few adult trikes with smaller wheels and a bit smaller size.
Old 07-27-21, 09:28 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
More info

CliffordK

Hi,
My neighbor says he got his first bike, a Schwinn Stingray, when he was 7 1/2 and rode it until he was ~12. Then, he moved up to a 24” wheeled cruiser that had been his older sister’s and rode that until he was 14. He’s only ridden sporadically since then.

We’re in Salem and have lots of bike paths/lanes, but there are some hilly areas. Fortunately, all of the necessities like groceries, fast food & drug stores are within a few blocks and the terrain is fairly flat.

Now, all I have to do is get the co-op manager’s support & buy in on this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 07-27-21 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Fix errors
Old 08-06-21, 12:31 AM
force3T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are quad grips that he could potentially use that handcyclists use so you might consider starting there. You might consider looking at the basic setup for a handcycle because there are quads who are able to shift, I've ridden with them only raced so don't really know anything other than it is possible, but your would have to reconfigure for standard bike handlebars.

Last edited by force3T; 08-06-21 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-06-21, 03:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Ahh... I'm not sure if I noticed you were in Salem.

The Eugene co-op manager is somewhat unique. Jan VanderTuin. He has Parkinson's disease, and rides a custom Delta trike. I think he has interests in accessibility. I thought I may have seen the co-op open a few days ago, but Google lists it as "temporarily closed", so I don't know. Perhaps closed once again. I don't know if they still do any fabrication. If they do, it may be quite limited.

Let me know if there is anything you need help with.

It is at least good that your neighbor has ridden some. He might be able to ride a regular bike, but I'd probably still put him on a trike.