Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Pains Do You Live With to Cycle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Pains Do You Live With to Cycle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 10:04 PM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
My pain appears when I get home and someone gives me a hard time for riding hours longer than I said I would
Old 05-04-22, 05:16 AM
Shawn1970

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
At 52 I suffer from back, knee and hip pain although a steady ride actually helps....
Likes For Shawn1970:
Old 05-04-22, 05:53 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I got a bit of Arthur Writas in my left hand that I feel an extra amount after a ride. I broke the knob off my left elbow when I was a kid that required pins and screws to put back together, but that never bothers me. My not-so-massive guads tend to bother me after a hard ride, though.
Old 05-04-22, 07:10 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
In my late 40s I started developing back pain riding my upright bike. Plus pain in the wrists. After some doc visits and tests including MRI I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Since pain did not get better riding an upright bike I changed to recumbents. That has really solved that pain problem. No more back, neck or wrist pain. But because I have been overweight for many years I also have a torn ligament in my left knee which occasionally flares up. So if that flares up I just take it easy on the bike. Lower speeds, less thumping and more spinning in lower gears. I try to minimize the torque on the cranks which is the best way to ride a recumbent anyhow.
Old 05-04-22, 08:04 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
None. If something gets sore I fix it with bike fit.
Old 05-04-22, 08:55 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I'm envious of pain free cyclists. Honestly I think I would be in that category if it wasn't for a laundry list of sprains , breaks and overuse of my body. The car accident essentially eliminated anything from being a pain free activity. Theirs a brief few minutes of laying in bed pain free in the evening and the morning and after that .... something starts talking. In addition to the above mention broken neck and broken leg (both comminuted fractures requiring hardware ....medical lingo for shattered bones) I've had a grade 3 soulder separation that makes my shoulders look weirdly uneven (the result of a bad mountain bike get off). A broken sternum (bad motorcycle get off) , multiple broken ribs on both sides, sprained wrists , broken foot and toes and sprained ankles , multiples....both of em. and lots of C-spine arthritis.

This from a life of dirt bikes, street bikes, mountain biking and motorcycle touring including some iron buts (1000 miles in less than 24 hours). The summers are actually not so bad. Sometimes even forget to take Aleve or Tylenol. The winters are a ***** for sure.

I've slowed down a bit since the car wreck. No more dirtbikes or quads, no riding wheelies on my Ducati. No big jumps on mountain bikes. Mostly because a well respected neurosurgeon said my nex neck injury will be my last injury.

Some people absolutely regardless of almost anything can not ride pain free.

But riding ....gonna keep that up ...pain or not.... its the only thing besides booze that keeps me sane.
Old 05-04-22, 09:51 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
the pain of not having enough time to ride like I want
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 05-04-22, 01:10 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Other than age related aches and pains, or early season butt pains, my sole pain was the helmet straps would, depending of whether the glasses temples were under the strap or above, would lead to head pain behind the ear or ear pain on the back of the ear. I preferred them under as glasses were WAY more expensive, plus using them over the straps with a glasses retainer strap was a PITA.

Problem salved with new helmet that came in S/M/L and XL sizes, instead of the universal-sized helmet. The new helmet was so much more comfortable, stable, and felt cooler.
Old 05-04-22, 03:44 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Amen

Originally Posted by rydabent
None at all. I ride a recumbent bike and trike.

The "real" cyclist are always saying no pain no gain. As far as I am concerned you can put that where the sun dont shine. Pain is for fools. It is your body telling you dont do that.
A Physical Therapist once told me "Pain, no brain."
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-06-22, 08:19 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
Lately it's been the pain of not being able to ride because of temps in the low 50's and a constant rain. It's been an incredibly wet month of May so far.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 05-07-22, 10:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
A Physical Therapist once told me "Pain, no brain."
Bet they had a lucrative practice.

Old 05-08-22, 11:49 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil
Yup. "Arvada" is Trek-speak for "thank you sir may I have another!"
I have a long history hunting down saddles that work for me and discarding saddles that cause me pain. I don't find the Arvada to be too bad, and in fact I have one on my trainer-dedicated bike.

Of course, YMMV
Old 05-09-22, 11:57 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I stuffed my right knee up racing in the 90's. It took 2 years to heal for general stuff but not for pushing hard or anything. I returned to cycling after 17 years away and found that I can train pretty hard once again but I still feel the knee and have to dial back periodically and have my rest days religiously, even if I feel ok, because the knee needs it regardless.

Happy all-in-all, I had thought I wouldn't be cycling competitively at all again!

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 05-09-22, 12:44 PM
capzeyez

Bikes: 99 Univega Rover 308, 84 502 Raleigh Marathon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little on the heavier side at 33 years old, my pain is limited with cycling. I do get sciatic pain occasionally but I find that as long as I'm religiously stretching my hamstrings it will go away completely and stay away.

I cannot stress the importance of ergonomics and stretching enough, it will change your life if you aren't doing it presently.
Old 05-09-22, 11:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Elbow arthritis due to old breaks (both arms at the radial head/humerus joint surface). Right one is painful when cycling, mostly when braking from the hoods or shifting with the right brake lever with Shimano shifters (small paddle doesn't hurt). Those motions just cause the wrong sort of motion in the elbow.

Luckily easy to adapt to: I mostly use the left/front brakes on my road and gravel bikes. If I'm on a downhill stretch where I have to go slow and brake constantly, like step downhill rough gravel, etc., I just get into the right drop to use the right brake. No big deal easy enough to adapt.

As far as shifting - like I said, the Shimano system with shifting with the brake lever requires a motion that hurts quite a bit after several reps. That's why I prefer Sram, the motion doesn't hurt nearly as much. The motion of the double-tap is just different ergonomics than the sweeping twist sort of motion shifting with the Shimano brake lever. No difference in braking or braking adaptation though.

Better yet is my Force AXS ETap, no pain at all shifting! Braking from the hoods still hurts, just not quite as much. Yeah, the hydro brakes require less force, but not no force.

I'm not a "you just gotta have electronic shifting and hydro discs" kind of guy. To me neither are head and shoulders above mechanical and rims. But they do make it a bit easier for me to adapt to a road/gravel bike. I'm lucky I can afford it at this stage of the game.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-10-22 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-10-22, 10:18 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Kind of similar/different question: How many of you only feel pain when going fast/( using lot's of power for extend time ? )

I can ride all day and do 100+ mile when I go with one my friends. She is really really slow. Like 10 to 13 mph avg speed all day. I feel nothing.

If I do hills that take me over 60+ minutes todo ( just grinding/spinning in first gear at 3 to 5 mph ) my knees not happy.

When I try to avg 20+ mph for two hours, I feel it in my knees and feet. I use flat pedals with 510 mnt bike flat bottom shoes. ( not the pro, I have been thinking of upgrading to the pro to see if that helps. )

I had surgery in 2016 for both knees from a 2015 motorcycle accident.
Old 05-10-22, 10:21 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I stuffed my right knee up racing in the 90's. It took 2 years to heal for general stuff but not for pushing hard or anything. I returned to cycling after 17 years away and found that I can train pretty hard once again but I still feel the knee and have to dial back periodically and have my rest days religiously, even if I feel ok, because the knee needs it regardless.

Happy all-in-all, I had thought I wouldn't be cycling competitively at all again!

I am always dialing it back for my knees. I bike between 3 to 6 days week.

How often to ride? How many days off between days do you take ?
Old 05-10-22, 02:01 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
We all live with some after a while. Mine is neck pain. Vertebra problems. Basically I can't hold my head up. Stretches help but it has taken the wind from my sails for the past 2 years.
Old 05-13-22, 12:37 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I am always dialing it back for my knees. I bike between 3 to 6 days week.

How often to ride? How many days off between days do you take ?
I started slow 3 years ago, 3x a week, 50km per ride. Now I'm doing 400-500km per week, 6x a week but every 2-3 weeks I will take 2 rest days. It really depends upon how my knee feels, if it feels bad, I'll take 48-72 hours off but that hasn't been needed for over a year now.

I do feel it slightly on nearly every ride so just make sure I don't stress it too much if it gets painful.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 05-16-22, 04:00 AM
Frankie2blue

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting thread. I had just put up a thread looking for a headset spacer to try to get to a more upright position because of neck pain. I have some nerve damage in my neck, and it’s the leaning forward and raising my head to see where I’m going that sets it up and at times it can be brutal. After getting the spacer and riser bars, the problem is fixed.
Old 05-16-22, 03:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Only pain I have from riding is a sore butt when I haven't ridden in a while...
Old 05-18-22, 04:06 PM
Greyhounds

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
As someone who suffers from MS, pain after cycling is just part of life. Some days its debilitating pain, some days its excruciating pain, some days its just nagging and annoying. But one thing is for sure, without cycling I'd probably give in and let this damn disease just take me.
Old 05-19-22, 02:19 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
Some pain from a partially torn Rotator Cuff. Also, Frozen Shoulder that has lingered in the same shoulder for about 8 months.

At 69 years old, riding a minimum of 100 miles a week on a road bike. Some occasional minor joint pain.