Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Old 01-04-11, 09:02 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
I think this is a great idea and I am going to keep a eye on it. I have a ton of frames and bikes that do not fit, nothing real high end but a few nice bikes non the less. I never shipped a bike or frame before and I was toying with the idea to put them on CL in the future but I would rather give people here a chance at them first.
Glenn
Old 01-04-11, 09:03 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 40 Posts
A trade has been made with Southpawboston for the Shogun 2000. I think we both win here!

Originally Posted by AZORCH
I've got a 25" 1988 Schwinn Voyageur in absolutely terrific condition. I lusted after this damn thing and now I'm just not content with the length-fit of the top tube for my personal geometry. I would consider a trade for an equivalent value 58 or 60cm rando-style bike, which is really more my riding style in the first place. PM for details.

Pending final details, a trade has been tentatively arranged.

I also have a mid-80's 62cm c-c Puch Odyssey that is too big and a 1986 52cm c-c Panasonic Sport 500 that is simply too small. I prefer a frame size of 58 or 60 cm.
Old 01-04-11, 11:52 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
119mm shows between the installed portions of the headset.
Thanks Zorro, I think it might be just a bit small, being half a centimeter smaller than my most aggressive ride in every direction, but I will see how I feel about it when I shed my winter weight. ...If it's still available.
Old 01-05-11, 09:42 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
A trade has been made with Southpawboston for the Shogun 2000. I think we both win here!
So do AZORCH and I constitute the first successful frame-swap of this thread? There should be a prize for us. Actually, the prize is in the swap. I agree completely that we both win in this. I've been looking for a comparable replacement for the Shogun frame in a larger size, and the Voyageur fits the bill just perfectly. Both frames are in fantastic shape, and all the Shogun parts should swap to the Voyageur without modification. Can't wait to complete the swap and build-up.
Old 01-05-11, 10:23 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
So do AZORCH and I constitute the first successful frame-swap of this thread?
Maybe, unless Frogbutter and Standalone beat you to it, as mentioned above?

Congratulations, though!
Old 01-05-11, 11:14 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
So do AZORCH and I constitute the first successful frame-swap of this thread? There should be a prize for us. Actually, the prize is in the swap. I agree completely that we both win in this. I've been looking for a comparable replacement for the Shogun frame in a larger size, and the Voyageur fits the bill just perfectly. Both frames are in fantastic shape, and all the Shogun parts should swap to the Voyageur without modification. Can't wait to complete the swap and build-up.
Haha! Now both of us have Jeunets and Schwinns. Same model, year and size for each.
Old 01-05-11, 03:05 PM
Frogbutter 

Bikes: It's a SICKNESS!

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
So do AZORCH and I constitute the first successful frame-swap of this thread?
Standalone and I agreed on our trade Monday 01/03/11 . When did you two come to an agreement?

Your only hope is reciting 10 hail campagnolos to our lady of the duraace.

I'm happy to say that I own more Steel then Carbon. My Stable! ---> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVZBep7
Old 01-05-11, 03:26 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by Frogbutter
Standalone and I agreed on our trade Monday 01/03/11 . When did you two come to an agreement?
Didn't we reach a tentative agreement the first day or two, SPB? I recall that you jumped right on this before we both turned into pumpkins and disappeared for the New Year weekend!
Old 01-05-11, 03:41 PM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Haha! Now both of us have Jeunets and Schwinns. Same model, year and size for each.
Next we'll be finishing each others' sentences.

Didn't we reach a tentative agreement the first day or two, SPB? I recall that you jumped right on this before we both turned into pumpkins and disappeared for the New Year weekend!
Yes, I think we reached a tentative agreement within a couple of days. I think we then confirmed on the 3rd of Jan?
Old 01-05-11, 04:08 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
I gotta crusty green 21" Raleigh Sport mens and and a crusty silver ladies sport that you can have. I don't want anything back.
PM'd to see if you're serious.
Old 01-05-11, 04:49 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I need to find some more frames, stat. All I have are complete bikes that aren't in my size. Sadly, all I have in my size are frames only. I don't even have a bike to ride.
Old 01-05-11, 04:57 PM
Frogbutter 

Wait, I wanted the Bottecchia the day Standalone posted it 12/26/10. The day the thread started. There was just about 35 inches of snow between me and the shed where the frame was.

Just jerking your chains....we are all winners! I hope more people follow our lead.

I'm happy to say that I own more Steel then Carbon. My Stable! ---> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVZBep7
Old 01-05-11, 05:00 PM
Frogbutter 

Originally Posted by realestvin7
I need to find some more frames, stat. All I have are complete bikes that aren't in my size. Sadly, all I have in my size are frames only. I don't even have a bike to ride.
May I go out on a limb and suggest you swap some parts from a complete bike to a frame that fits. Thats how I got my frame to trade.

Old 01-07-11, 02:51 PM
Noah Scape
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I have a 1985 Trek 620 frame and fork in the 25.5" size complete with scratches and a small ding in one of the tubes (I think top tube). Full Reynolds 531. I'd entertain any interesting trade possibilities.
Old 01-12-11, 11:20 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gone.

Last edited by rat fink; 03-10-11 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 06:45 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Frogbutter
Wait, I wanted the Bottecchia the day Standalone posted it 12/26/10. The day the thread started. There was just about 35 inches of snow between me and the shed where the frame was.

Just jerking your chains....we are all winners! I hope more people follow our lead.
And today we've both shipped our respective frames! I'm really excited. There are so many options for building up that frame.

And now there's a 620 in my size too...

I should start a collection!

Hmm...

520 / 620 / 720 -- Single Speed / Light Touring / Epic Touring
Old 01-19-11, 10:44 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
I'm thrilled.

Thanks, Frogbutter!

Last edited by Standalone; 01-30-11 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-19-11, 11:59 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I just added my 60 cm Austro-Daimler Olympian (Full 531 DB throughout) frameset to the spreadsheet. It has no derailleur cable tunnels or chainstay cable stops and only a tab for downtube mounted shifters or cable stops. There are full cable housing tunnels along the top side of the top tube, though. Frame Spacing is 130 mm, already! Headbadge is there, but paint and Reynolds decals are really rough- needs a repaint! I'd like to trade it for a comparably made road or touring frame in 56 or 57 cm size; Horizontal forged dropouts with eyelets are a must!
Old 01-20-11, 08:03 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
I acquired the type/size of frame I was looking for. I need to remove myself from the list for this one. I do not need another frame now.
Old 01-20-11, 09:55 AM
southpawboston

Look what arrived safely at my house yesterday:

I'm so excited. According to FedEx tracking, AZORCH's Shogun should have arrived at his house yesterday as well. Assuming he received the Shogun safe and sound, we can call it a completed trade!

I can't wait to get started building it up with everything removed from the Shogun!
Old 01-20-11, 10:06 AM
AZORCH

Look what arrived safely at my house yesterday:

I'm so excited. According to FedEx tracking, AZORCH's Shogun should have arrived at his house yesterday as well. Assuming he received the Shogun safe and sound, we can call it a completed trade!

I can't wait to get started building it up with everything removed from the Shogun!
It was like Christmas all over again yesterday afternoon. I unpacked a beautiful powder blue Shogun (great packing, by the way!) and was so pumped up I began to hold handlebars and saddles up next to the frame to sort of "eyeball" what the build is going to look like. We're buried in snow (again) today; school has been cancelled, so I'm only going to hang around the building for a couple of hours (it's just me and the custodian and his snow blower anyway) and head home to hang the cantilever brakes. Photos WILL be posted once it's built up, and I'm jazzed to get a frame that by the tape measure certainly appears to be a much better fit!

Enjoy the Voyageur, SPB, and watch the mail for a little something extra I'm sending your way. To everyone else, Southpaw Boston is a class act and I highly recommend him if you ever have the opportunity to deal with him in the future.
Old 01-20-11, 10:24 AM
southpawboston

It was like Christmas all over again yesterday afternoon. I unpacked a beautiful powder blue Shogun (great packing, by the way!) and was so pumped up I began to hold handlebars and saddles up next to the frame to sort of "eyeball" what the build is going to look like. We're buried in snow (again) today; school has been cancelled, so I'm only going to hang around the building for a couple of hours (it's just me and the custodian and his snow blower anyway) and head home to hang the cantilever brakes. Photos WILL be posted once it's built up, and I'm jazzed to get a frame that by the tape measure certainly appears to be a much better fit!

Enjoy the Voyageur, SPB, and watch the mail for a little something extra I'm sending your way. To everyone else, Southpaw Boston is a class act and I highly recommend him if you ever have the opportunity to deal with him in the future.
AZORCH, no way, your packaging won the prize. The meticulously cut and taped foam pipe insulation left no part of the frame unprotected. And I would have to nominate AZORCH as a class act as well. The transaction went as smoothly as possible. We exchanged a bunch of emails, finalized the details over a brief phone conversation, and then patiently waited for our respective frames to cross paths as they made their way halfway across the country to their new homes.

I can't wait to see the Shogun newly built up, AZORCH. You'll probably beat me to it, as the Schwinn will be comfortably waiting in queue for a few weeks while a previous project takes form. I will post progress photos!
Old 01-20-11, 11:02 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That Voyageur is kuh-leen.
Old 01-20-11, 11:42 AM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
That Voyageur is kuh-leen.
And the decals are perfect... even the bright yellow one that warns you that the bike doesn't stop as well with wet rims. Duh. Thank you very much, CPSC!
Old 01-20-11, 01:45 PM
AZORCH

I'm so excited. According to FedEx tracking, AZORCH's Shogun should have arrived at his house yesterday as well.
And here is the pretty little lady herself, currently gracing a work stand in my studio:

What a sweet lookin' ride!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.