Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

puppy trailer for gravel bike

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 09-27-22, 06:12 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts

We just adopted a puppy last friday. At some point we would like to take him road cycling in trailer. When he is older have him run on his own on some mtb bike trails.

He is projected to be around 65lbs give or take. I have an gravel Ibis Hakka MX with carbon frame. I am looking for trailer recommendations and dog training tips for getting a puppy/dog to go for rides :-)

Old 03-10-23, 08:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I found trail running was a better answer for outdoor activity with my dog. Our paces were more comptible that way. I did some singletrack trails with one of my dogs tagging along at times, but when I lived where there were long fast downhills it wasn't a good fit. It worked out best where the climbs and descents were short. Here riding with a dog, even a well trained one, off leash limits where you can ride.

Hauling a dog in a trailer doesn't appeal to me, but I have met folks when touring who were successful using kid trailers the ones I met used two wheeld Burley models.

My dogs were partners on the trail and the current one did tens of thousands of trail miles with me trail running, snowshoeing, backpacking and what not. My current one could be trusted to lead the way back to the car if I lose the way or it it got dark and I didn't have a headlamp. She would lead the way in the dark the perfect distance for me to be able to stay on the trail. When someone else's dogs ran off I could tell her to bring them back and she would. On a trail system she knew I could send her off to find a visiting friend who lost their way. She is now unable to do more than slowly meander around the block. She is quite old and we cater to her in what is her last year or two at best. I am back to riding as my primary outdoor activity, hitting the trails daily, but I'd still be running if Marley was able to run with me.

Oh, by the way be careful about running with a young dog. They shouldn't be pushed until their joints are developed. Opinions vary on age, but do a little reading on the topic before running or riding with a dog running along with you.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-10-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-10-23, 11:39 AM
sean.hwy

He used to love the trailer rides. He would hop right in the trailer whenever I asked him to go for a ride. We went several times a week. Strava shows 30 rides from 10/9 until 11/20. When he got his last set of shots I could finally take him hiking. After I took him hiking a few times he would run away from the trailer when ever I asked him to go for a ride. ha-ha. So now the trailer just sit collecting dust.

I hike with him several times a week now. I did one mtb single track at slow speed for only 5 miles because I am not sure about his joints like you said.

Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 03-10-23, 03:33 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
After I took him hiking a few times he would run away from the trailer when ever I asked him to go for a ride. ha-ha.
That is funny. Dogs are smart. The dog before my current one used to watch which shoes I grabbed. I had different shoes for trail running, road running, trail riding, and road riding. If I grabbed the road biing shoes she was visibly sad. If I grabbed the MTB shoes or road running shoes she was more hopeful (More so for the MTB shoes). If I grabbed the trail running shoes she was super excited and started pacing around watching me like a hawk to be sure I didn't get away without her.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-10-23, 04:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
My puppy just turned 11. Now I am wondering if I'll have to haul him around in a trailer in another few years (or just let him sleep).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-11-23, 06:31 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My puppy just turned 11. Now I am wondering if I'll have to haul him around in a trailer in another few years (or just let him sleep).
The dogs I had in my running years running careers ended about that age. One died of cancer at about that age. I am pretty sure she hid it for a while so she could continue to run. She was always one to hide injuries. She hated to be left home when I went out to run. My current dog started to get pretty bad arthritis at about that same age and I stop taking her running and started only hiking/walking with her.. Then one day she laid down during a walk and gave me the look that said she couldn't continue. We took her straight to the vet and they suggested that it was a judgement call if we should euthanise her or go for surgery to remove a spleen that had a ruptured cyst/tumor was likely cancerous. They said she probably had weeks or maybe a few months to live. That was almost 3 years ago. We wait on her hand and foot and she knows how to boss us around. She has no interest in much more than a slow ramble around the block and some days prefers to just lay out in the front yard while we sit in the adirondak chairs near her. I have tried driving her down the long hill in the car to the trail that leaves the road and she tried to walk me back up the hill toward home. It kind of broke my heart that the spark isn't there for the trails any more. These days we just do everything we can to make her comfortable and as happy as we can.

I got her during my long mileage running years and we ran together her whole life until she was too old. I sometimes worry that I actually wore her out and wonder if her arthritis wouldn't be as bad if we had taken it easier. Then I think about how worn out my body is getting in my 70s and realize that she was always more motivated than I ever was
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-11-23, 11:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Old 03-11-23, 04:38 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Sorry didn't mean to make that sound so bad. Our current pup may have ended her running career when she had her spleen removed just a bit before she turned 11, but we still enjoy her company as she is approaching her 14th birthday and hope to continue to do so for some time yet. Some dogs may still be running at her age and beyond.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-12-23, 02:19 AM
sean.hwy

He is projected to be around 65lbs give or take. I have an gravel Ibis Hakka MX with carbon frame. I am looking for trailer recommendations and dog training tips for getting a puppy/dog to go for rides :-)

He was 65 lbs at 24 weeks old. 85lbs at 7 months old. I guess we will be closer to 100 lbs when he is full grown.

Since he is more of glod/bruiser dog instead of light and fast on his feet like doberman/border collie do you think maybe not ride the MTB with him and just keep it to hiking?

I am never going to be fast on my mtb like these guys in the videos but every MTB dog video I see it's always a fast little fkr never a big great pyrenees.

Old 03-12-23, 06:17 AM
staehpj1

He was 65 lbs at 24 weeks old. 85lbs at 7 months old. I guess we will be closer to 100 lbs when he is full grown.

Since he is more of glod/bruiser dog instead of light and fast on his feet like doberman/border collie do you think maybe not ride the MTB with him and just keep it to hiking?

I am never going to be fast on my mtb like these guys in the videos but every MTB dog video I see it's always a fast little fkr never a big great pyrenees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5qRJvTJcI&t=351s
It always is best to keep your best friend in their comfort zone. The problem is that they will turn themselves inside out to please you, so be careful to not misread them. It is a lot easier to do that when you are on foot than on a bike IMO, so I mostly ran or hiked with my pups and only took them along on a ride once in a while.

My dogs were crazy fast when young and would happly run as far as I wanted to (my long runs were 18-20 miles, but I was always slow). So they would tear around and have some fun chasing doing more miles than I did. As they got older they became a bit more workman like in their running. They still had fun, but looking out for me was a job and they took it more seriously.

With flatter terrain there is more chance that you on the bike and your dog might have compatible paces. The length of the downhills is a factor as well. Also it helps if you either are slow or are willing to ride at a casual pace when the dog is along.

Also some will let you know when they aren't feeling great and will take a day off. Others will hide their pain and do anything to keep from being left behind. You really have to look out for the latter ones. Some will literally run themselves to death if you ask them to do too much. Whatever you do always be mindful of your pups best interests. Oh btw that becomes especially true in warm or hot weather. Make sure they have water, are acclimated to local conditions, run in cooler hours if possible, and so on.
Likes For staehpj1: