Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shakin' down the new Bob Jackson

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shakin' down the new Bob Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 07:03 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
BTW I'm looking forward to hearing how the SunXCD stuff works for you. I'm not overly fond of the old TA look on the cranks- but it does look classy. The hubs are the big draw for me. They're really pretty.

There's a whole lot to like about this build!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-12-16, 08:11 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Wow That is one gorgeous rig! Very classy.
Old 12-12-16, 08:22 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Very nice! I bought my Bob Jackson World Tour in 2009 and I've ridden about 16,000 miles on it since then, mostly commuting. Mine came directly from the factory, "off the peg." My favorite bike, however, is my Waterford sport touring model, which has a color scheme very similar to the OP's Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BJ with bell.jpg (101.5 KB, 112 views)
BJ-final build.jpg (98.6 KB, 112 views)
Waterford - new river 2.jpg (99.0 KB, 111 views)
Old 12-12-16, 08:55 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Awesome bike Chewy. We need many many more pictures. I love the SunXCD components, and glad you were OCD enough to get a matching front QR. That Nitto craft stem is pretty awesome too. A steel stem is probably a good choice for a big dude.

Are you noticing any extra comfort level with the curly stays? I could never really tell if old Hetchins were more comfortable or not, but I never rode one further than a couple blocks.

Another week another new Bob...
Old 12-12-16, 09:03 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Cool bike, and so many great details!

As a guy with a Hetchins built by Bob Jackson, I appreciate the curly stays and crazy-ornate lugs! Not functional, but fun to look at.
The chromed head lugs and fork crown are an extra level of extravagance and fun which my Hetchins doesn't have. Very nice.

The Nitto stem reminds me of the old Cinelli's with their badge. A nice bit of eye candy to look at while riding (just try to not sweat on it!).

I like the SunXCD cranks too... or at least like them in principle. My Hetchins might need some lower gears than the Campy Record cranks can offer, and I've been thinking about picking up the SunXCD and implementing a compact crank like yours. It's a nice way to get lower gears with a classic style that looks right.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-12-16, 09:06 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
Really stunning build and a joy to notice all the meticulous details. Awesome, awesome job.
Old 12-12-16, 09:21 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

BTW what is the story of the cats on the Nitto craft stem? Are they supposed to be cougars? Cheetahs that ran so fast the spots came off?
Old 12-12-16, 09:32 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Advice from Portland, OR?
You did a great job detailing that beauty.
May it bring you Tailwinds Forever.

I need a dynohub for next build.
Old 12-12-16, 10:10 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
That is beautiful! Makes me really miss my Hetchins

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-12-16, 10:23 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
How bout a better pic of just that rear triangle? Worthy.
Old 12-12-16, 12:21 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
BTW I'm looking forward to hearing how the SunXCD stuff works for you. I'm not overly fond of the old TA look on the cranks- but it does look classy. The hubs are the big draw for me. They're really pretty.

Thanks. I think the Sun stuff is working great at this point. The shifting is crisp with the index bar ends, and the hub has that wonderful sound like a new Dura Ace would make. I guess time will tell. The Paul canti brakes are really doing their job as well. Props to Pete at the bike shop for setting and adjusting everything correctly.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Awesome bike Chewy. We need many many more pictures. I love the SunXCD components, and glad you were OCD enough to get a matching front QR. That Nitto craft stem is pretty awesome too. A steel stem is probably a good choice for a big dude.

Are you noticing any extra comfort level with the curly stays? I could never really tell if old Hetchins were more comfortable or not, but I never rode one further than a couple blocks.

Another week another new Bob...
Yeah, with a 48 handlebar, I guess I could get a lot of leverage on the stem. I just chose the Craft stem because it is sharp, but not so fancy that it is too much, with all the lug work.

I don't have a deep basis for comparison on the stays. This bike is very comfy, which I think is mostly because it is a proper fit for me. No numb hands or sore back or anything on this one. I think the real reason for the curl is this:

"...In the early days of cycle racing, amateur status was taken so seriously that a frame builder was not even allowed to 'advertise' his name on the bikes ridden; frames for amateur competition therefore bore no transfers identifying the maker. Unorthodox frame designs were allowed, however, and some frame builders used unorthodox designs to identify their bikes, if not for functional reasons. This explains the curly track bikes ridden by a number of successful riders in the 1930s...."

Hetchins curly stays, vibrant stays, hellenic stays

P.S. I imagine I will get some better pictures when time allows and the sun is out.

Last edited by chewybrian; 12-12-16 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 04:05 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

That's a beautiful bike and a great job of selecting parts and nice build all together!

I had issues with the Selle Italia mirror fitting on "vintage" brake levers. But since trying the mirrors on the Tektro RRL levers and it's almost as fine as the old Mirrycle mirrors!

Congratulations!
You are right about brand/model of the mirror and the levers. I am really big on having a mirror, and this is the best I found to work with road bars when the ends are occupied with the shifters. It is not cheap, and takes some effort to get it set where you need it, but it does the job after it is set up. It even works on bad roads, and the mirrycle is the only other one I've seen do that.

For the crank rings, I did consider the Sun xcd's and the Rene Herse. I like all of them. But I went with the TA's to tone things down a bit. It is a fine line between a bit of flash and too far over the top, like a woman wearing making; less is more sometimes.

If I had one of those minimalist rando frames, with no lugs and one color, I would have gone for the Herse rings for sure.

Question--Does anyone know where to get one of those dealies to stop the chain from dropping off the small ring, and here's the catch, that will work with the 28 small ring? The bike shop had one for 38's but it won't do any good with the rando size ring.
Attached Images
chain.jpg (16.0 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by chewybrian; 12-14-16 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-14-16, 07:39 AM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by chewybrian

For the crank rings, I did consider the Sun xcd's and the Rene Herse. I like all of them. But I went with the TA's to tone things down a bit. It is a fine line between a bit of flash and too far over the top, like a woman wearing making; less is more sometimes.

If I had one of those minimalist rando frames, with no lugs and one color, I would have gone for the Herse rings for sure.

Question--Does anyone know where to get one of those dealies to stop the chain from dropping off the small ring, and here's the catch, that will work with the 28 small ring? The bike shop had one for 38's but it won't do any good with the rando size ring.
TA were always the most beautiful cranksets to me, and the SunXCD is like a deluxe version of one. I actually kind of prefer TA to the Herse aesthetically, though I think both look great. Certainly for this bike Herse cranks would have been too much.

AFA the chain catcher, shouldn't be too difficult. Try here.
Road Clamp-on Chain Catcher - K-EDGE

K-Edge

N gear
Old 12-14-16, 11:28 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
TA were always the most beautiful cranksets to me, and the SunXCD is like a deluxe version of one. I actually kind of prefer TA to the Herse aesthetically, though I think both look great. Certainly for this bike Herse cranks would have been too much.

AFA the chain catcher, shouldn't be too difficult. Try here.
Road Clamp-on Chain Catcher - K-EDGE

K-Edge

N gear
I could make the clamp on style work, but it may look out of place. I am not sure the diameter of 631 is a match, either. I should have specified a braze on style in all silver if possible. You gave me a spot to start looking, anyway.
Old 12-14-16, 11:36 AM
Salamandrine 

I'd assume that seat tube is 28.6, but measure first. Probably about 28.9 with paint.

FWIW braze ons in the wrong place are something that happens. I'd rather have non braze on, but it's true it would look cleaner to only have one mounting band. How are your sculpting skills? You could attack one of those with files and emory until it vaguely looked like a vintage derailleur clamp.
Old 12-14-16, 12:20 PM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
One word...

JEALOUS!
Old 12-14-16, 12:27 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian

Please don't take my comment to mean I don't like your bike or the choices you made with it- I totally do!

I am thinking about getting TA rings for a 110/74 crankset- I think they are sufficiently "classic!"

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-14-16, 06:31 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Please don't take my comment to mean I don't like your bike or the choices you made with it- I totally do!

I am thinking about getting TA rings for a 110/74 crankset- I think they are sufficiently "classic!"
No, it's nothing like that. I was agreeing with you, and I do prefer the Herse rings in the abstract. For this bike, I just thought they might be too much, like using a lugged stem when I already had all the fancy lugs.