Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you all do to remove shoe stank?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 09:58 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My cycling shoes were rancid smelling. I can't imagine the loads of bacteria/germs/whatever that i was sticking my foot into before i replaced those nasty shoes. What do some of you do to kill the bacteria and remove the stink in your shoes?
Old 12-15-17, 10:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get Nose Blind..
Old 12-15-17, 10:36 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 2,336 Times in 894 Posts
Nuke from orbit. Only way to be sure.
Old 12-15-17, 10:49 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Febreeze and sunshine.
Old 12-15-17, 10:55 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Divorce her
Old 12-15-17, 02:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by colorider
Nuke from orbit. Only way to be sure.
Game over, man! Game over!
Old 12-15-17, 03:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If they're that bad try saturating in hydrogen peroxide. Pour it on liberally and let sit awhile. Then repeat. Should be okay for most synthetic shoes, and acceptable for many leather shoes if the only alternative is discarding them.

With the synthetic shoes, after dousing in hydrogen peroxide, fill a mop bucket with tepid water and a Tide or Gain gel fling. Best laundry detergent I've ever tried, reliably gets the funk out of my cycling and work clothes. Tide and Gain will get the mildew funk odor out where every other detergent I've tried failed. But the enzymes need time to work, so let 'em soak for up to 20-30 minutes for best results. Doesn't need constant agitation or scrubbing, just time.

I even dunk my Merrell cycling/walking shoes in a bucket of Tide/Gain every few months when wiping down the outside doesn't cut it anymore. So far, so good, no problems with glue or layers coming apart after a year's hard use.
Old 12-15-17, 04:14 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,476 Times in 3,222 Posts
Nothing. Why would I?
Old 12-15-17, 05:27 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
My cycling shoes were rancid smelling. I can't imagine the loads of bacteria/germs/whatever that i was sticking my foot into before i replaced those nasty shoes. What do some of you do to kill the bacteria and remove the stink in your shoes?
New shoes.
Old 12-15-17, 05:39 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Toss them in the aquarium and let the Malaysian Trumpet Snails get busy.
Old 12-15-17, 05:59 PM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
New shoes.
What's wrong with new shoes? My question more pertains to how to keep these smelling fresh. Trust me, the old ones were done. I think well over 10,000 miles on those shoes. Bad weather, indoors sweating on the trainer, etc. It all destroys shoes. I get athletes foot easily (my left foot only?) as well I might add, so the more bacteria - the more frequent those bouts of fungus are.
Old 12-15-17, 07:06 PM
TankSlapper
Omphaloskeptic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 32 Posts

Stank Reducers
Old 12-15-17, 08:03 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
I keep my nose out of my shoes.
Old 12-16-17, 02:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by TankSlapper
I'd be curious to read long term reviews from actual users. Ozone and UV will eventually break down many materials, especially synthetics and adhesives. Might be safe for occasional use. But I'd keep any ozone generator away from the main living quarters and any electronics. Ozone will break down many plastics used in household electronics -- televisions, cell phones, computers, etc.

A few years ago an elderly neighbor who smoked heavily asked me to adjust her TV. I heard some crackling from inside the set and turn it to check the back. The plastic chassis crumbled in my hands. Years of smoke residue accumulated inside the TV and it began spewing ozone, which in turn weakened the plastic on the TV itself and any nearby plastic, including the outlet plate it was plugged into.

I gave her one of my older TVs, figuring it would outlive her at the rate she smoked, considering her age. She was here only another year before she went to a nursing home.

Back in the 1980s-'90s, my grandparents bought a bunch of household "ion" air purifiers and ozone generators, which they'd heard or read were supposed to be good for the indoor atmosphere. Research shows ozone concentrated enough to purify the air is dangerous to humans. My granddad in particular suffered from COPD and these bogus air cleaners probably hastened his demise. When I finally pulled them out the plastic housings of the air filters themselves were yellowed, cracked and misshapen, as were any plastics nearby -- outlet and switch plates, a coffee maker, radios, etc.

Ozone and UV "purifiers" might be effective on shoes and other objects, but I'd keep them far away from living quarters -- no closer than a garage or outdoor storage shed -- and limit their use on items that weren't specifically made of ozone and UV resistant materials.

I worked for OSHA around the time federal regulatory agencies were adopted regs on ozone. Turned out some of our own office machines, including laser jet printers, didn't meet our own agency standards. We had to discard the recently purchased machines that had replaced our older dot matrix and daisy wheel printers.
Old 12-16-17, 09:02 AM
BenzFanatic

Bikes: Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 45 Posts
During my teens I had oddly odorous feet. After trying sprays and powders I came up with a homemade bag of aquarium charcoal small enough to fit in the shoe and have airflow around it (cheesecloth,) and used a small fan pointed at the inside of the shoes. It won't take the stink out overnight, but if you let them sit like that for awhile they will be as good as new.

Now I just rotate footwear so that they never have a chance to get stinky.

Edit: Oh yea, "aquarium charcoal" is activated carbon. Though they do make other similar products with the same properties.

Last edited by BenzFanatic; 12-16-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-16-17, 11:09 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Whenever possible wear sandals.
Old 12-16-17, 12:03 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
You guys know I often try and tie in a song to whatever topic appears in Foo, so this thread made me think of Steely Dan / Doobie Brother guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter who got his nickname from feet stank. I knew SD had a song called Bad Sneakers, but alas it's not one Skunk Baxter played on. BUT in looking him up in Wiki I was amazed to find he's now a defense department consultant - Not your typical retired rocker !!

OK carry on, sorry for the off-topic interruption.

Defense consulting career[edit]
Baxter fell into his second profession almost by accident. In the mid-1980s, Baxter's interest in music recording technology led him to wonder about hardware and software that was originally developed for military use, specifically data compression algorithms and large-capacity storage devices.[6] His next-door neighbor was a retired engineer who had worked on the Sidewinder missile program.[6] This neighbor bought Baxter a subscription to Aviation Week magazine, provoking his interest in additional military-oriented publications and missile defense systems in particular. He became self-taught in this area, and at one point he wrote a five-page paper that proposed converting the ship-based anti-aircraft Aegis missile into a rudimentary missile defense system.[6] He gave the paper to California Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, and his career as a defense consultant began.

Backed by several influential Capitol Hill lawmakers, Baxter received a series of security clearances so he could work with classified information. In 1995, Pennsylvania Republican Congressman Curt Weldon, then the chairman of the House Military Research and Development Subcommittee, nominated Baxter to chair the Civilian Advisory Board for Ballistic Missile Defense.

Baxter's work with that panel led to consulting contracts with the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. He consults to the US Department of Defense and the US intelligence community, as well as for defense-oriented manufacturers including Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), Northrop Grumman Corp., General Dynamics, and General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc.[6] He has been quoted as saying his unconventional approach to thinking about terrorism,[6] tied to his interest in technology, is a major reason he became sought after by the government.

"We thought turntables were for playing records until rappers began to use them as instruments, and we thought airplanes were for carrying passengers until terrorists realized they could be used as missiles,"[17] Baxter has said. "My big thing is to look at existing technologies and try to see other ways they can be used, which happens in music all the time and happens to be what terrorists are incredibly good at."

Baxter has also appeared in public debates and as a guest on CNN and Fox News Channel advocating missile defense.[6] He served as a national spokesman for Americans for Missile Defense, a coalition of organizations devoted to the issue.

In 2000, Baxter considered challenging Rep. Brad Sherman for the 24th Congressional District seat in California before deciding not to run.[18]

In April 2005, he joined the NASA Exploration Systems Advisory Committee (ESAC).

Baxter was a member of an independent study group that produced the "Civil Applications Committee Blue Ribbon Study" recommending an increased domestic role for US spy satellites in September 2005.[19] This study was first reported by The Wall Street Journal on August 15, 2007.[20]

Baxter is listed as "Senior Thinker and Raconteur" at the Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition.[21]

Baxter is a Senior Fellow and Member of the Board of Regents at the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies.[22]

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 12-16-17 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 03:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Fascinating story about Baxter. And he's right. Musicians, artists and creative types really do operate on another level mentally. Pair that with critical thinking skills (which not all creative types possess) and it's a formidable combination.

Actress Hedy Lamarr was involved in developing spread spectrum/frequency hopping radio technology in WWII. That same tech later evolved into uses in music production including the Vocoder and later the pitch-matching/shifting doodads often used either to correct the pitch of vocalists who can't sing in tune, or for special effects for vocalists (notably Cher, Kanye and others).

So there's an example of war tech later being adapted to music. Circle of irony complete.
Old 12-16-17, 03:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

BTW, back on the shoe topic...

After every wear I put my shoes on or near a HEPA room air filter. Dries 'em out quickly so they're less likely to get mildewy or stinky.
Old 12-16-17, 03:49 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
If you have to use your socks for TP out in the boonies somewhere, I'd suggest leaving them with your deposit rather than wearing them home.
Old 12-16-17, 05:18 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Fascinating story about Baxter. And he's right. Musicians, artists and creative types really do operate on another level mentally. Pair that with critical thinking skills (which not all creative types possess) and it's a formidable combination.

Actress Hedy Lamarr was involved in developing spread spectrum/frequency hopping radio technology in WWII. That same tech later evolved into uses in music production including the Vocoder and later the pitch-matching/shifting doodads often used either to correct the pitch of vocalists who can't sing in tune, or for special effects for vocalists (notably Cher, Kanye and others).

So there's an example of war tech later being adapted to music. Circle of irony complete.
'How to Wreck a Nice Beach" is an in depth and engaging book about all this. Writing style is off putting for some, but I enjoyed it.
Old 12-16-17, 07:38 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Maybe put them in the freezer overnight? I don't know, it's just a suggestion.
Old 12-16-17, 09:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
As it is for non-cycling content, we have moved this thread from the Foo forum to General Cycling Discussion forum.
Old 12-16-17, 10:06 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
For whatever reason, I found that my road shoes are a lot more comfy with a pair of Dr. Scholl's Double Air-Pillo insoles (unless it's cold, in which case I'm wearing very thick socks that hold the odor anyways.) After a few thousand miles they get good and smelly, and into the trash they go. Ta-da! Less stinky shoes.
Old 12-16-17, 10:15 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Whenever possible wear sandals.
+1

I walk barefooted and in sandals practically all the time. I think it is key for general foot health.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.