Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting passed by Road Bikers while on a Hybrid

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting passed by Road Bikers while on a Hybrid

Old 07-09-22, 09:57 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 438 Posts
When I was maybe 17 and my new-to-me Crescent frame was being painted in Tucson Wheelmen colors (baby blue), I went for a ride with my dad, out to Saguaro National Monument. He was on his new bike, a Romana 300 racing bike, and I was on his old bike, a Raleigh Sports model with a 5-speed SA hub (Sprite?) with shifters on the top tube. As we neared the monument entrance, a couple of older racers passed us pretty easily. I asked my dad if he minded if I chased after them, and he said no, go ahead. As I began to close the distance, they began to look back at this crazy kid chasing them on dad's old 'English racer', fenders rattling and the chain banging against the chain guard, with the crazy kid pedaling standing up most of the time. I kept up with them halfway around them monument, to the big hill, and I showed up within a minute at the end, where they recognized me and expressed surprise nonetheless. I had a pretty good 'engine' at that time.

Forty five years later, I can barely make half as fast as I used to ride, and haven't yet gone half as far. I'm a LOT better than when I started again two years ago though, and feel great for the first time in years. Two hip replacements helped with that, as well.

Getting passed is relative.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 07-10-22, 01:39 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
These days, this old guy likes to ride a mountain bike on the road. He will catch you, pass you, and disappear into the distance:

Dr. Eric Heiden
That's the guy I cite when people ask me if Olympians and national/world champions ever go on to do great things for society.
Old 07-10-22, 05:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's the guy I cite when people ask me if Olympians and national/world champions ever go on to do great things for society.
He won the first Corestates race in Philly, making him US pro champion. He was in the hunt at the sprint the following year but ripped the upper of a shoe off its sole. Now that was power.

I ran into his sister when I was in high school. A group of us were hiking Camel’s Hump in Vermont. One of the adults with us was from Minnesota and had gone to college with her. Beth was out for a trail run with friends. She passed our group, and our guide and Beth recognized each other. They chatted for a bit, then Beth ran off. Our guide turned to us and told us who she was.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-10-22, 10:11 AM
Flipper_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I've never experienced normal riding as getting punched in the groin and hands, but I've not had hip surgery, either. Have you tried wearing cycling pants with a chamois, or padded gloves? I've found they add a lot of comfort to rides.
Early in my time with that bike, I realized I needed proper shorts. I also made the rookie mistake of going strictly by the sidewall markings and made sure to keep the 700X28 tires at 115+, Jesus help me! I eventually reduced pressure, which improved things but that bike always was a jittery handful

I sold it early this year thinking my time on this limestone trail was done and I have a great MTB for the intertwined, modestly rough single/double track that crosses the rail trail repeatedly. Really a nice system.

Now I’m back and riding my wife’s comfort bike, getting passed righteously and looking as Sirrus X, Sirrus or Trek FX, thinking 38c tires minimum, probably a modest riser bar.

Last edited by Flipper_; 07-10-22 at 10:14 AM.
Likes For Flipper_:
Old 07-11-22, 04:07 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I love it when I pass road bikers on my hybrid …. though it’s highly unlikely they knew we were racing.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 07-11-22, 04:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
I love it when I pass road bikers on my hybrid …. though it’s highly unlikely they knew we were racing.
Congrats on winning an imaginary race.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-11-22, 09:16 PM
Flipper_

Originally Posted by bikehoco
Exactly! I don’t pass road or gravel bikers but when I pass children on Wal-mart FS bikes I try to make it subtle so they don’t wick it up a notch and then pass me.
Likes For Flipper_:
Old 07-11-22, 09:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Not to be too insulting, but when I see a hybrid I think of a bike that doesn’t know what it wants to be. It’s not a racing bike and it’s not a trail bike but can do both but neither of them really well. It is the ideal compromise for someone who wants to do both and doesn’t want two specialized bikes. Not surprising if you are getting passed.

Old 07-19-22, 04:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Not to be too insulting, but when I see a hybrid I think of a bike that doesn’t know what it wants to be. It’s not a racing bike and it’s not a trail bike but can do both but neither of them really well. It is the ideal compromise for someone who wants to do both and doesn’t want two specialized bikes
haha yeah. somehow I narrowed down my stable to 3. light road bike, heavier entry level 29 style MTB & an early Trek FX. the hybrid was useful on vacation cuz I could ride w/ the family & take some solo time to explore off road dipping my toes in the rough stuff, just enough for some fun
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-19-22, 05:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Not to be too insulting, but when I see a hybrid I think of a bike that doesn’t know what it wants to be. It’s not a racing bike and it’s not a trail bike but can do both but neither of them really well. It is the ideal compromise for someone who wants to do both and doesn’t want two specialized bikes. Not surprising if you are getting passed.
In the foothills of the North Cascades Highway while crossing the country on a hybrid. He rode in sneakers.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-19-22, 05:23 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipper_
Exactly! I don’t pass road or gravel bikers but when I pass children on Wal-mart FS bikes I try to make it subtle so they don’t wick it up a notch and then pass me.
Yea like trying to walk around a big spider very carefully trying not to startle it and make a dash towards you.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-19-22, 07:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
So? It's a bike for people who aren't racing or riding on trails. The vast majority of people on the road aren't racing.
My FX was terrific for riding on the road. Absolute crap on the trail, however.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-19-22, 03:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont worry about being passed. Everyone gets passed unless you are the winner of the Tour de France.
Old 07-20-22, 08:03 AM
Flipper_

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Yes. I belong to the SORTIE Cycling Club. That's Slow, Old, Relaxed, Taking It Easy. However, in my custom made SORTIE Cycling Club kit, I look really, really fast at the rest stops.

I think these peeps would burn me down with an audible track on the order of : "Hi", "On your left", "ding ding, ding ding", "Keep trying", "Those last 3 Sam Adam's were too much","Boy, that sure was a good run back there, glad we've backed it down"....etc, etc...

Originally Posted by koala logs
Originally Posted by Flipper_ View Post

Yea like trying to walk around a big spider very carefully trying not to startle it and make a dash towards you.
Yes, loose children can be FAST. Families on the other hand tend to stay in an orbit that I can usually grunt past, swerving if needed.

Last edited by Flipper_; 07-20-22 at 08:09 AM.
Likes For Flipper_: