Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Snot rockets - how much responsibility should I share?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 08:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Or you could simply adhere to basic social conventions that suggest not relieving yourself in public.
Of course, we're talking about a sport in which pros urinate while riding...a sport in which one of the all-time greats (Greg LeMond) once shat himself while riding on a rainy stage, and the resultant mess sprayed off his rear wheel onto following riders.
Old 09-30-22, 08:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Of course, we're talking about a sport in which pros urinate while riding...a sport in which one of the all-time greats (Greg LeMond) once shat himself while riding on a rainy stage, and the resultant mess sprayed off his rear wheel onto following riders.
Yes, but let's not forget the important part. Should the others have been on his wheel uninvited?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-30-22, 08:57 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, but let's not forget the important part. Should the others have been on his wheel uninvited?
Good point. I've always wondered if that bad peach was just a canny race strategy for LeMond.
Old 09-30-22, 09:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Or you could simply adhere to basic social conventions that suggest not relieving yourself in public.
This works great for those with young bladders and prostrates. I do an out and back, 50 mi total where the last bathroom (a mall where I stop for espresso) is at mile 6. So 38 miles of fields, farms and residences.

We live in a world that cannot talk about bodily functions, is paranoid about seeing them yet is unwilling to erect enough facilities for those functions to take place in private if you do not happen to be young and healthy and also want to live an active life. (And funny, we live in a country where the active life is shunned by most and many of our health issues stem from that aversion.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-30-22, 10:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
I do blow snot rockets when needed. I'm usually aware of my surroundings and if someone is behind me. For some reason I know those things without having to look. Maybe my hearing at those frequencies is better. If however you do happen to be on my wheel and are the recipient of one, well I'm sorry. But you should have let me know you were on my wheel. I don't mind you being there.

If you wish to make a snarky response after getting hit by my snot rocket, that's okay. We're all are big boys and girls so we aren't going to let it ruin our day..... right?

So consider yourselves forewarned. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-30-22, 10:20 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
You have any better ideas? Coughing, sneezing, spitting, blowing one's nose while continuing to ride is never going to be as easy or sanitary as at home. Tell us what we should do.
You know, it is possible to stop, pull out a tissue, blow your nose into it, stick it back into your pocket (preferably with all the nose nuggets folded inside) and then start riding again. Shouldn't take more than 15 seconds.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-30-22, 10:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
You know, it is possible to stop, pull out a tissue, blow your nose into it, stick it back into your pocket (preferably with all the nose nuggets folded inside) and then start riding again. Shouldn't take more than 15 seconds.

If I had to stop every time I needed to wipe snot from under my nose, I'd add many, many minutes to my ride. Not happening.

Seriously don't see any problem with the sleeves or back of the glove. What you're describing is really not any more sanitary.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-30-22, 10:35 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
I agree. Now you are making some sense. I don't want to argue about it, but I still think that, especially on a club ride, spitting into my glove is better than to my side. Actually, I wouldn't even think of doing the latter.
Old 09-30-22, 10:40 AM
Koyote

especially on a club ride, spitting into my glove is better than to my side. Actually, I wouldn't even think of doing the latter.
You do understand that you can drift to the back before spitting, right?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-30-22, 11:55 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
...it happens, but certainly is not worthy of retribution unless you have anger management problems...
So it is worthy if you have anger management problems? j/k

It's easy to check behind you? I think that is one of the most ill-considered comments I've heard on this site.
The safest way to look behind you is to dip your head down and peak under your arm pit. You won't be able to read the guy's jersey, but you'll know if they're there or not, and you won't find yourself inadvertently steering off course.

I find the best option is to expel any unwanted or excess mucous directly into the palm of the glove. If the bars seem slippery, then, I wipe it on my pants.
Isn't that what the terry cloth thumb is for? I use the left one for my nose and the right one for my mouth... or is it the other way around?
Old 09-30-22, 11:58 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
You do understand that you can drift to the back before spitting, right?
One race I was in, I was sucking this guy's wheel because he was the largest rider in the pack. I didn't notice that he was drifting all the way to the back until he let a snot rocket fly and it hit my face. I said "Yuck!" and he apologized, but I realized it was at least partly my fault for hiding behind him and not paying attention to what was going on.

I know that didn't contribute to the thread, but I like sharing that story.
Old 09-30-22, 12:18 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Doesn't anyone on this thread use a mirror?
It took 49 replies for anyone to mention that?!
Likes For rollagain:
Old 09-30-22, 12:23 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Isn't that what the terry cloth thumb is for? I use the left one for my nose and the right one for my mouth... or is it the other way around?

Exactly. Sometimes the terry cloth at your thumb will take are of it. Sometimes, the enclosure of the palm is necessitated.
Nice system.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 10-01-22 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-30-22, 01:13 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
the Alien .
Rupert Murdoch?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-30-22, 01:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Sorry, but that possibility of the "cloud of death" was thoroughly debunked in 2020,.
By the same CDC clowns who argued there was no evidence of community transmission, and then argued there was no evidence of airborne transmission, and initially recommended against wearing masks.

The virus has evolved to where a much higher load is associated with coughing, sneezing, singing and even quietly exhaling. Sure, you are much better off outdoors than indoors, but even with all of the high winds and UV at Burning Man, for example, loads of people came back infected. It isn't all or nothing, and all things being equal, I don't want to be anywhere near someone coughing, singing, spewing, sneezing, or shooting snot-rockets, indoors or out.

It is just another example of the kind of selfish and thoughtless behavior that has made this pandemic an even bigger disaster than it needed to be, especially in the US.

Nobody needs to blow snot-rockets. They do it for the same reason male dogs lift their legs and piss on fire hydrants.
Old 09-30-22, 01:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Nobody needs to blow snot-rockets. They do it for the same reason male dogs lift their legs and piss on fire hydrants.
So, cyclists that blow snot rockets are marking their territory?
Old 09-30-22, 01:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Some are. That should be apparent from the dialogue here.
Old 09-30-22, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

By the same CDC clowns who argued there was no evidence of community transmission, and then argued there was no evidence of airborne transmission, and initially recommended against wearing masks.

The virus has evolved to where a much higher load is associated with coughing, sneezing, singing and even quietly exhaling. Sure, you are much better off outdoors than indoors, but even with all of the high winds and UV at Burning Man, for example, loads of people came back infected. It isn't all or nothing, and all things being equal, I don't want to be anywhere near someone coughing, singing, spewing, sneezing, or shooting snot-rockets, indoors or out.

It is just another example of the kind of selfish and thoughtless behavior that has made this pandemic an even bigger disaster than it needed to be, especially in the US.

My eyes rolleth over at this inanity.

Please show me any confirmed instance of anyone catching anything anywhere from a blown snot rocket that didn't actually hit anyone.
Old 09-30-22, 02:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Some are. That should be apparent from the dialogue here.

I think you're laying on the nose-pearl clutching bit a tad thick in this thread.
Old 09-30-22, 02:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
[QUOTE=urbanknight;22664488]So it is worthy if you have anger management problems? j/k{QUOTE]

You evidently missed the post above I was referring to or you MAY issues with making wild inferences

Old 09-30-22, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

[QUOTE=rsbob;22664674]
Originally Posted by urbanknight
So it is worthy if you have anger management problems? j/k{QUOTE]

You evidently missed the post above I was referring to or you MAY issues with making wild inferences
He was just noting you phrased it funny:.

.".it happens, but certainly is not worthy of retribution unless you have anger management problems..".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-30-22, 03:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

[QUOTE=livedarklions;22664690]

.".it happens, but certainly is not worthy of retribution unless you have anger management problems..".
Dope slap to forehead.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-30-22, 09:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
if you are not able, for whatever reason, to turn your head far enough to ascertain that that's nobody behind you, then you're at fault for blasting something gross into that space.

if you can ascertain that it's clear, snot away.

so i agree with several previous posters, ESH.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 10-01-22, 12:13 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

[QUOTE=livedarklions;22664690]

[QUOTE=rsbob;22664702]

Dope slap to forehead.
Yeah, just poking fun at the semantics.
Old 10-01-22, 09:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

[QUOTE=urbanknight;22665061][QUOTE=livedarklions;22664690]

Yeah, just poking fun at the semantics.
But I barely achieved a GED. Or something ending with a D. All I can remember is that it was very time consuming and painful. Maybe REEMED!

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.