Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Poles on my bike

Old 06-23-21, 07:55 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Poles on my bike

Where I am, there are a lot of uncontrolled dogs, and a lot of people have been bitten by dogs. One way to keep dogs back, is to swing a stick at them. I decided it would be a good idea to have something I could use on my bike. So I clamped a PVC pipe to the chain stay, and rack. I put a longer thinner PVC pipe inside it. I could lift it out while cycling, and swing it at any dogs that came too close. Some time later, I went under a low tree, bent the pipe, which kinked, and it finished up shorter. I replaced it with a piece of bamboo.

I had previously carried two backpacks on my rack. They tend to lean over, and can fall off. With a pole on my bike, it was easy to secure two backpacks so they stay in place.

My aluminum rack broke. So I clamped a piece of bamboo to the side of it, and screwed the support to the bamboo, making it stronger than new. Later the other side of the rack broke. I used more bamboo to repair it and make it larger. My rack now has more bamboo than aluminum. The aluminum is broken in so many places it would fall apart if I removed the bamboo. The front of the rack is clamped around the seat post, allowing the rack to swing from side to side. Having pipe clamped to the side, reduced that. But PVC flexes, so I added another one on the other side, to reduce the swinging.

I now have a pole on each side. I can carry two backpack or more between the two poles, and one strap secures them. I can also carry two cartons of drinks or more between the tow poles, and one strap secures them. They make it really easy to secure high loads on the rack.

In the future I plan to replace the rack with a large strong rack. I plan to still have a pole each side, so it is easy to secure high loads on my rack.

If I ever ride long distances on busy roads, I can use a longer pole, and have a flag on top.

The best way to set up a bike depends on how you use it. Anyone wanting to load a rack high, consider a pole each side. This is light weight, and makes it easy to secure high loads on your rack. You could use broom handles, or aluminum tube, or anything else you want to use.

I prefer this to having something sticking out the sides, which can be an inconvenience in narrow spaces, either in traffic, or narrow trails.
Old 06-23-21, 08:27 AM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
It wold be interesting to see a photograph of this setup.
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-23-21, 08:33 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just carry a collapsable baton? Or maybe some pepper spray?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-23-21, 08:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
I'm laughing at you real hard. Can you please post of pic of this nonsense?
Old 06-23-21, 08:37 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Back in the day, I used a frame mounted Silca pump mounted along the seat tube to deter dogs. Easy to reach while riding and a useful length.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-23-21, 08:39 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
I employ a similar setup for jousting.

Last edited by Outrider1; 06-23-21 at 10:46 PM. Reason: misspell
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 06-23-21, 08:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I use a Small Marine Air Horn to fend off biting dogs. Has worked for 60,000 miles.

Keep it on the Right

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-23-21 at 08:51 AM. Reason: +
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 06-23-21, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
clamped a PVC pipe to the chain stay, and put a longer thinner PVC pipe inside it
I agree w/ Kahn "It would be interesting to see a photograph of this setup" for me because I like to carry a camera stick & I want to find a better way to do it. right now it rides on my rear rack, collapsed or partially collapsed. I can reach around while I'm riding to get it, but I have to stop to collapse it & put it back on the rack. sometimes I carry it across the front bars but that's not ideal. I know there have been threads about carrying fishing poles on bikes, that might interest you (I found a cpl see below). I once carried one on my top tub w/ velcro straps but it couldn't be retrieved while riding

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...hing-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/recreatio...hing-pole.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...reel-bike.html

Finished building the "Fishing Bike" - Bike Forums

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...any-ideas.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/9...hing-rods.html
Old 06-23-21, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I've yet to find a dog that will bite me. They love it when you flee or look scared. They seem to become meek as soon as you stand your ground and look big.

Though I'll suppose that maybe I haven't encountered that one dog that will bite me.

Seems like pepper spray will be the better choice, then they can go home and rub it on their owner.
Old 06-23-21, 08:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I used to ride with a Pole on my rear rack, and he was quite adept at scaring off dogs. The Swede? Not so much.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 08:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm laughing at you real hard. Can you please post of pic of this nonsense?
Don't hold your breath. And any pic needs to be a "proof-of-life" pic.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-21, 08:59 AM
alo

Here is one picture. It has gone through a number of remodels. When I started, the pipe was longer. This is after going under a tree and breaking it off. Since then I replaced it with bamboo. Since them my rack is wider with more bamboo than aluminum. Since then I have one each side. I plan to fit a new rack in the future, but maybe not for some time.

Old 06-23-21, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I used to ride with a Pole on my rear rack, and he was quite adept at scaring off dogs. The Swede? Not so much.
Letts are more effective.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-21, 09:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by alo
Where I am, there are a lot of uncontrolled dogs, and a lot of people have been bitten by dogs. One way to keep dogs back, is to swing a stick at them. I decided it would be a good idea to have something I could use on my bike. So I clamped a PVC pipe to the chain stay, and rack. I put a longer thinner PVC pipe inside it. I could lift it out while cycling, and swing it at any dogs that came too close. Some time later, I went under a low tree, bent the pipe, which kinked, and it finished up shorter. I replaced it with a piece of bamboo.

I had previously carried two backpacks on my rack. They tend to lean over, and can fall off. With a pole on my bike, it was easy to secure two backpacks so they stay in place.

My aluminum rack broke. So I clamped a piece of bamboo to the side of it, and screwed the support to the bamboo, making it stronger than new. Later the other side of the rack broke. I used more bamboo to repair it and make it larger. My rack now has more bamboo than aluminum. The aluminum is broken in so many places it would fall apart if I removed the bamboo. The front of the rack is clamped around the seat post, allowing the rack to swing from side to side. Having pipe clamped to the side, reduced that. But PVC flexes, so I added another one on the other side, to reduce the swinging.

I now have a pole on each side. I can carry two backpack or more between the two poles, and one strap secures them. I can also carry two cartons of drinks or more between the tow poles, and one strap secures them. They make it really easy to secure high loads on the rack.

In the future I plan to replace the rack with a large strong rack. I plan to still have a pole each side, so it is easy to secure high loads on my rack.

If I ever ride long distances on busy roads, I can use a longer pole, and have a flag on top.

The best way to set up a bike depends on how you use it. Anyone wanting to load a rack high, consider a pole each side. This is light weight, and makes it easy to secure high loads on your rack. You could use broom handles, or aluminum tube, or anything else you want to use.

I prefer this to having something sticking out the sides, which can be an inconvenience in narrow spaces, either in traffic, or narrow trails.

So basically, you've constructed a rack that looks like a prop from Gilligan's Island?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 09:01 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
This never ends well and almost always gets locked fairly quickly as it degenerates into a pissing match between dog lovers and some who do not love dogs much. In decades of riding I have been bitten only once and the confrontation with the owner was far more cantankerous than with the dog. It ended up with calling the county sheriff for assistance.

My last memorable encounter with a dog was to have it jump into my lap and lick my face, much to the dismay of the owner. They can do that when you ride a trike. Luckily it was s small dog!
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 06-23-21, 09:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by alo
Here is one picture. It has gone through a number of remodels. When I started, the pipe was longer. This is after going under a tree and breaking it off. Since then I replaced it with bamboo. Since them my rack is wider with more bamboo than aluminum. Since then I have one each side. I plan to fit a new rack in the future, but maybe not for some time.

Sorry, but that has "this isn't going to end well" written all over it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 09:04 AM
alo

This started out for dogs, and ended up being a good way to secure a high load on the rack.
Old 06-23-21, 09:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
This never ends well and almost always gets locked fairly quickly as it degenerates into a pissing match between dog lovers and some who do not love dogs much. In decades of riding I have been bitten only once and the confrontation with the owner was far more cantankerous than with the dog. It ended up with calling the county sheriff for assistance.

My last memorable encounter with a dog was to have it jump into my lap and lick my face, much to the dismay of the owner. They can do that when you ride a trike. Luckily it was s small dog!

Frankly, I think the OP is running a bigger risk with that monstrosity on his bike just begging to fail than any risk a dog attack could bring.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 09:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Why don't you just get a new bike rack and carry some mace with you?
Old 06-23-21, 09:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by alo
This started out for dogs, and ended up being a good way to secure a high load on the rack.

Are you familiar with the expression "plumber's nightmare"?
Old 06-23-21, 09:13 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
I rode with a touring group in Florida and when a dog took chase it was usually the girls they went after. One morning A dog went after one of the female riders and I came up behind the dog, grabbed his tail and raised him up some then released him. At one time I had a cattle prod attached to the top tube of my Tandem. Most of the time being stern is enough so a dog will back off.
Old 06-23-21, 09:15 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Can you deploy the pole while riding? Have you warded off any dogs with it yet?

Bit of a samurai vibe, which I like.
Old 06-23-21, 10:26 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Seriously guys, you can get a collapsible baton for less than $20. Carry it in a a holster and live out your ninja samurai fantasy whenever you are attacked by beast or man.

https://www.amazon.com/Halafs-Expand...12954170&psc=1
Old 06-23-21, 10:49 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
I throw kittens. Works great.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-23-21, 10:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Seriously guys, you can get a collapsible baton for less than $20. Carry it in a a holster and live out your ninja samurai fantasy whenever you are attacked by beast or man.

https://www.amazon.com/Halafs-Expand...12954170&psc=1
I don't vouch for the accuracy of this list, but you might want to consult this before you do that:
State Baton Laws - Weapon Laws for Dummies
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.