Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

[Dangerous Driving] Speeding Cyclist cross RED light hurt Pedestrian & RUN! / My wife

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

[Dangerous Driving] Speeding Cyclist cross RED light hurt Pedestrian & RUN! / My wife

Old 10-02-22, 08:16 PM
addendum8716

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

[Dangerous Driving] Speeding Cyclist cross RED light hurt Pedestrian & RUN! / My wife is Victim serious bleeding / Davisville / Yonge and Merton Street /

My heart is bleeding writing this....

Date : 28 Sep 2022

Time : Around 4pm

Location : Zebra crossing at Yonge and Merton Street - Davisville

#Update 07OCT : Couldn’t have any hints on this cyclist, seems rare chance justice could show. If you might know any popular forum or common channel in bike society please let me know. Thank you.

#Update 10OCT: Thank you everyone trying to help here and share out. I know the chance is few but I believe justice will come one day.

What Happened: My wife was crossing Zebra crossing on the pedestrian signal at yonge street, all vehicles stopped and waiting. A very speeding cyclist went down slope without any attempt to slow down, ignored the red light and crashed my wife strongly from her left. My wife flied with head hit the ground directly, serious bleeding at head near eyebrow. The dangerous cyclist was first fell, then sit up and played his iPhone, checked and confirmed there is no camera around, picked the bike and fled.

Ending: With the kind help from the bystanders around my wife was sent to emergency hospital by ambulance, with all my luck she is stable, bone not hurt, but a serious wound near eyebrow will need some times to recover. Mentally was seriously frightened and lost her confidence.

We are new immigrant just relocated to this city, we don't know what could be done here to show the justice. I sincerely hope this dangerous bicyclist could be caught and learnt how to be responsible, he was not only dangerous but showed totally no conscience after hurting someone, he was even very nasty and arrogant when people tried to help him. He is a real threat to all the citizens in Toronto and obviously he is a frequent rider, he has no guilty at all, the same story will happen again and he can always hack this bug and flee if no one could stop him.

Thank you again to all kind bystanders, ambulance technicians and medical and nursing staff who help and comfort my wife during the incident.

Dangerous Cyclist

Victim

Dangerous Cyclist

Dangerous Cyclist

Last edited by addendum8716; 10-10-22 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Please do not post bloody or gory pictures.
Old 10-03-22, 11:57 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
Bump

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 10-03-22, 02:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Horrible. Maybe a decade ago something similar happened to a paralegal here in Philadelphia. He had left work and was crossing the street legally heading to a train station when he was hit by a cyclist. He fell and hit his head, slipped into a coma and later died. Family man with a wife and a couple of children. The cyclist, who also hit the ground, got up, straightened his handlebars and rode off. Despite a $50,000 reward offered by the victim’s employer, he has never been identified and charged.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-03-22, 04:40 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
If you haven't filed a police report, that needs to be the next step. Any officer worth their salt will investigate security camera footage of intersections and businesses along that cyclist's route. They should be able to approximate where he was going and/or where he was coming from. Chances are he rides the same routes, so catching him may not be too difficult.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 10-04-22, 07:56 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Hope your wife recovers quickly. That is completely reckless behaviour on the part of the cyclist, and I do hope you do not lump all cyclists in with this particular one. You could file a police report for a hit and run, but it's unlikely that this person will be caught as there are really no permanent identifying features to go by as there would be for a vehicle.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-04-22, 11:50 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Sorry to hear that your wife was injured by a reckless cyclist and I hope she has a complete and speedy recovery..

Most cyclists obey the law and ride responsibly but there are some who act like complete menaces to society. Luckily these menaces are in the minority of the cycling community but that does not prevent a negative view about cyclist in general by the greater public..
Likes For raqball:
Old 10-04-22, 12:14 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
Apparently this happened in Toronto, if google took me to the correct place. We've had others post threads at least twice before on issues in Toronto.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yo...!4d-79.3961564

Likes For work4bike:
Old 10-04-22, 01:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,341 Posts
First of all, accept my best wishes for your wife's swift and complete recovery. Also, please be assured that this cyclist is not typical of the cycling community as a whole.

I, for one, find his conduct doubly troubling. Obviously, because he's an #$%$#@, but doubly because his conduct reflects on me and my community.

To be honest, cyclists are not all the same when it comes to safety and adherence to rules of the road. I certainly don't have a pristine history, since I treat red lights more as suggestions than rules, but for over 50 years and thousands of miles of road cycling, I've treated all road users with courtesy and respect. I consider that an absolute must not only because it's fitting and proper, but because I feel I can't expect the same from others otherwise.

I don't know the laws in Canada, but I hope that if or when he's found, he'll be charged with vehicular assault, and leaving the scene of an accident with injuries at the very least, plus be charged civilly for the costs imposed. Barring that, I hope that there's some Karmic justice and that he eventually becomes a victim of his own negligence, with prejudice.

BTW- while the witnesses may be of little help, there are cameras everywhere these days, so if the police are serious, there's a decent chance that he could be found through traffic cams, or any of the other cameras out there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-04-22 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-05-22, 06:41 PM
addendum8716

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I added some photos from bystanders , hopefully it helps
Likes For addendum8716:
Old 10-05-22, 08:26 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by addendum8716
I added some photos from bystanders , hopefully it helps
Have you tired contacting the media to see if they can put the image of the cyclist and his bike on the news? I am sure someone would recognize this menace and report his identity to the police..
Likes For raqball:
Old 10-05-22, 09:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
With a saddlebag/pannier, he appears to be a commuter. You may want to stakeout that path a half hour before and after when the incident happened. I would also talk to every business and resident (Ring doorbell) to see if they have video cameras. I would also take the picture of the offending cyclist to the police. Best of luck.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-05-22, 09:10 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Tv News media should be shown theses pix.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 10-05-22, 11:03 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Epic pic of the cyclist writhing around on the ground (after parking his bike)
Old 10-05-22, 11:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,341 Posts
With respect, this isn't the best place to seek help identifying the rider. This audience is spread pretty thin all over, and only a tiny percentage of members have ties to the local scene in Toronto.

If you haven't done so, try the local press, where there's much better odds of reaching someone who might recognize him.

Also, print some of the photos and make the rounds of bike shops there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-06-22, 03:08 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Classic example of hit and run. The cyclist should face criminal charges.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-06-22, 04:07 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Start putting his pic all over ur cities social media. The horde will find him.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 10-06-22, 04:55 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I am sorry that it happened, but thankful your wife is okay. With a little effort, you'll be able to identify the cyclist. In this country it is a good idea to look all ways when crossing even when the signal is green/go. I even look both ways when crossing a one way street here in New Orleans. Probably not much different in Toronto.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-06-22, 07:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Maybe show his picture with the bike to some of the local bike shops, especially ones that sell Surly. I'm pretty sure there's not much sympathy with hit and run perpetrators in the bicycling community generally.
Old 10-06-22, 08:52 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
That is absolutely great someone got pics!!

Hope this guy is found.

Old 10-06-22, 11:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by raqball
Have you tired contacting the media to see if they can put the image of the cyclist and his bike on the news? I am sure someone would recognize this menace and report his identity to the police..
+1. In the U.S. anyway, TV media outlets would probably love a story like this. A few years ago here in Philly, a motorist cut off a cyclist, making contact and knocking him to the ground, and then got on the freeway. The motorist behind had a dash cam and followed the striking driver for a good ways until she finally got her to pull over. (The cyclist was not seriously injured.) She confronted the striking driver. That was also caught on camera. The local ABC affiliate ran the story and video for at least two days.

Hit and run incidents involving motor vehicles and pedestrians are all over the news here for more than one day. This story adds a new twist the media should eat up.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-06-22, 01:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Even though the cyclist was an a-whole (sp), when it hits the media, I can see sympathy for the poor woman but can also foresee the incident also being twisted to ‘another callous cyclist runs down a pedestrian and uncaringly rides away’. Just sayin’

Old 10-06-22, 01:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Just did a bit of research here--Section 200 of the Ontario Highway Act is the hit and run provision, and it applies to "every person in charge of a vehicle". Bicycles are vehicles under the Act.

Penalty is a "fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both"
Old 10-06-22, 01:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
Even though the cyclist was an a-whole (sp), when it hits the media, I can see sympathy for the poor woman but can also foresee the incident also being twisted to ‘another callous cyclist runs down a pedestrian and uncaringly rides away’. Just sayin’

OTOH, I think the best way for him not to be seen as "typical" is for cyclists to help track him down.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-06-22, 08:46 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
I would tentatively assume the cyclist lives somewhere south of where this incident occurred. It was a Friday at 4PM, and the guy was riding a bike equipped with all-weather tires and a full pannier. To me it appears he was commuting home from work.

Edit: From the location of the collision to Lake Ontario is only five miles, so this cyclist cannot live far away. There are a handful of apartment complexes along the general southward direction. Am I making a big assumption that he lives in one of them? Yes. He could very well be the "millionaire next door", but guys commuting on $1100 (USD) steel bikes tend not to have the ability to afford Toronto's grossly overpriced real estate.

Last edited by JW Fas; 10-06-22 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 06:45 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by JW Fas
but guys commuting on $1100 (USD) steel bikes tend not to have the ability to afford Toronto's grossly overpriced real estate.
From the first photo, he appears to have been riding a Cross Check built from the frame up, including a brifter drivetrain. Likely more than $1,100, unless it's rather old. I paid $1,100 for my stock Surly LHT with bar ends back in 2011. Then again, the frame is the same color, and knowing how Surly offers colors, it could be old like mine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.