Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quiet bike = upgrade?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Quiet bike = upgrade?

Old 10-04-22, 07:24 PM
kirbyx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Quiet bike = upgrade?

A week ago I worked on my bike to remove as many of its sounds as I could... bottom bracket clicks, seat squeaks, things rattling in the toolbag, etc. The only sounds left are a quiet sound of the chain and that of the tires on the road. The last two rides I've found pleasantly astounding. The bike seems faster and yet more comfortable... probably because there are less of my senses telling me that I'm going over a bump or over a rough road. If I didn't know that I was riding the same bike, I would think that somehow I'd bought a new bike that's worth considerably more than the one I have. Is it just me, or is this something that everyone experiences?
Likes For kirbyx:
Old 10-04-22, 07:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
A week ago I worked on my bike to remove as many of its sounds as I could... bottom bracket clicks, seat squeaks, things rattling in the toolbag, etc. The only sounds left are a quiet sound of the chain and that of the tires on the road. The last two rides I've found pleasantly astounding. The bike seems faster and yet more comfortable... probably because there are less of my senses telling me that I'm going over a bump or over a rough road. If I didn't know that I was riding the same bike, I would think that somehow I'd bought a new bike that's worth considerably more than the one I have. Is it just me, or is this something that everyone experiences?
Not everyone experiences this...Just the people who let their bikes get worn, out-of-tune, and noisy in extremis before doing anything about it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-04-22, 08:03 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Is it just me, or is this something that everyone experiences?
Some people are alarmingly oblivious to the agonized desperate cries from their bicycles, but no, it's not just you. I think most people would frame it the other way, though: a smooth-running bicycle isn't so much "upgrading," as a disturbed bicycle is in need of fixing.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-04-22, 08:34 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Road bikes should be silent unless coasting. If you have the fortune of quiet roads to ride, it’s a pleasure.

Mountain bikes ought to be quiet too but damn if I can’t chase every creak. Once it gets bumpy, I don’t hear anything anyway.
Old 10-05-22, 05:39 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
each click and creak is the result of some sort of friction which will have an impact on performance (albeit minor). So you may find that it is running better in addition to being quieter.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 10-05-22, 06:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If you can't find that creak or squeak, just dip the entire bike in oil...
Old 10-05-22, 07:17 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Squeaks, clicks, rubbing, etc., drive me nuts. I can never let one get to the point the OP is describing. One that took me a while to locate wasn't the bike, but the shoestring aglets clicking when hitting the crank arms. I always double tie, but those strings I had to shorten. The shoes did not have a string retainer on them. I feel faster, more efficient, and comfortable on a clean and quiet bike. That includes the rear wheel hub, but minimal ratchet noise is ok. My hearing is not so good anymore, ergo, I do not hear quiet noise so much, and I am never sure where it is coming from. The low level, meditative hum from the chain and tires on the road is all I want to hear from the bike.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-05-22, 07:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Or wax.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-05-22, 07:30 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Squeaks, clicks, rubbing, etc., drive me nuts. I can never let one get to the point the OP is describing. One that took me a while to locate wasn't the bike, but the shoestring aglets clicking when hitting the crank arms. I always double tie, but those strings I had to shorten. The shoes did not have a string retainer on them. I feel faster, more efficient, and comfortable on a clean and quiet bike. That includes the rear wheel hub, but minimal ratchet noise is ok. My hearing is not so good anymore, ergo, I do not hear quiet noise so much, and I am never sure where it is coming from. The low level, meditative hum from the chain and tires on the road is all I want to hear from the bike.
I just love when people come on here or on a bike repair group I'm in on Facebook and say, "My bike is making a clicking noise when I pedal, what's wrong with it?" There are just way too many variables and possible causes that it's impossible to identify from a very vague description on an internet forum.
Old 10-05-22, 07:31 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I think it makes sense. Noise production takes energy.
Old 10-05-22, 07:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-05-22, 07:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Squeaks, clicks, rubbing, etc., drive me nuts. I can never let one get to the point the OP is describing. One that took me a while to locate wasn't the bike, but the shoestring aglets clicking when hitting the crank arms.
Heh. I remember the first time my FD cable end got bent and was making a "tink" sound every time the crank arm hit it. Drove me crazy. Took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from. After that, I knew the first place to look when I heard that sound again.
Old 10-05-22, 08:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Sure I like quiet bikes. But I think a lot of people have too high a expectation of how quiet that should be. They are after all mechanical things with lots of moving parts and pieces that flex and rub against other parts.
Old 10-05-22, 08:40 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
this is where immersive waxing can be a better option
Old 10-05-22, 08:43 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 320 Posts
I'm a fan of quiet bikes too.
Noise is just annoying, it's also a possible sign of unnecessary wear being done, and you're suppling the energy for that pointless noise.
I prefer to hear the environment, whether that's wildlife, wind noise, or even cars.

These days on a local multi user path the pedestians know I'm behind them when I shift down on the Suntour Power Shifters

I've also noticed 'modern' freehubs are really noisy when freewheeling - you can hear them 50 yards away.
I can only just hear my Sunrace freewheel from 5 feet away.

Edit: waxed chain too.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 10-05-22 at 09:09 AM. Reason: More info
Old 10-05-22, 08:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Sure I like quiet bikes. But I think a lot of people have too high a expectation of how quiet that should be. They are after all mechanical things with lots of moving parts and pieces that flex and rub against other parts.
Yes, I understand that. I have carbon fiber Orbea Avant that is never going to be as quiet a couple of my other bikes. I have minimized that noise, but, I have also accepted that it is what it is. After riding it for 30 minutes or so, I really do not notice it much. I suspect that is probably true for most bikes that have minimal, low-level noise.
Old 10-05-22, 09:05 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
My senses calm down when my bike is mostly quiet. I doubt that the extra friction of mechanically noisy parts impacts average speeds too much but when it is quiet I probably do push harder and maybe ride in 1 gear taller which does increase the average speed for the ride. Whenever I have ticks, clicks, squealing, squeaking or any other audible protests from my bike, my natural instinct is to dial back the torque a bit in an effort to decrease wear and tear.

Another interesting aspect of sorting a bike to become quieter reminds me of the audiophile hobby a bit. The more you lower the noise floor of one part the more you then notice the next noisiest part of the system. By knowing the next noisiest part, it is possible to move on to that next part and doing some problem solving to see what can be done to tighten down what is loose or lubricate what needs lubrication and so on.

And yes, I’m a chain waxer. When I get it right the drivetrain really gets quiet (at least for one or two rides). This is pretty satisfying.
Old 10-05-22, 09:54 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I go to great lengths to make sure all of my bikes are dead quiet: no clicks, no creaks, no chain noise -- every thread is lubed, every bolt is tight. To me, there's no bliss quite like riding a well-tuned, silent bicycle.
Old 10-05-22, 09:58 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Nice work. It's all good until you encounter a rider with a bluetooth speaker blasting his or her personal soundtrack.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-05-22, 11:40 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
When I first purchased my new bike in 2020 it made all sorts of little rattles over bumps which drove me nuts (I like my vehicles rattle and noise free - other than the stereo). It took me a couple of weeks to locate and neutralize the rattles and what a difference! Then I decide to put new Look carbon Keo pedals on it and another bike. Whenever I was putting the power down on climbs or out of the saddle they would creak like SOBs. I took off the cleats and waxed the interface to the shoes. I took the brand new pedals apart and relubed them and then I waxed the interface between the cleats and the pedals which was a temporary fix. After researching on the net creaking noises were very common with Keos with no permanent fixes - (a few people never had creaks, which I did experience when just moving along without smashing then pedals.), plus they were a PITA to clip into until I shimmed the front-most screws. Getting fed up, I purchased Shimano pedals and have lived a happily creak-free ever after.

Old 10-05-22, 01:26 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
I treat every noise as a lurking failure, work to get a quiet ride. Had to figure out aglets slapping against my shoes. One frustrating occasion I eventually figured out the faint click I was hearing was a knee.
Old 10-07-22, 05:00 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
My tinnitus owns out all those faint noises.
Old 10-07-22, 08:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Sounds like that should be rare on a properly maintained bike, improper maintenance will lead to loads of noise and worse. If you take care of your bike it will take care of you if you don't it will be noisy and get more and more dangerous in some cases.

I can agree with the bluetooth speaker thing but I am also a small part of that but generally I am only using the speaker while commuting and rarely see other cyclists and usually am past them rather quickly if I can (not bragging just don't like to hang around people while playing music or with the pandemic still going). If I do run across a bunch of folks I will usually turn down. I do find the music helps me be more "visible" and on frequent occasion I do get a good music reply from motorists or others. I will say no need to go crazy blasting music listen to it so you can hear it and keep an ear on stuff around you and don't play bad music...LOL
Old 10-08-22, 06:54 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. I remember the first time my FD cable end got bent and was making a "tink" sound every time the crank arm hit it. Drove me crazy. Took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from. After that, I knew the first place to look when I heard that sound again.
I think you just found my annoying tink.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 10-08-22, 08:44 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Quiet bike is a priority for me. Smooth and quiet, like a silent assassin. Except I don't kill anybody.