Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DIY Jig for Aligning the Fork

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-14-21, 08:54 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts

My '90ish Giordana Spica wanted to veer strongly to the left when riding. I tried the fork alignment that Sheldon had on his site without much success ( https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/align-fork.html ). I decided to build my own jig to try to fix the fork. I built it using parts I had around the shop. I was able to straighten the blades so they were centered and was able to adjust the rake as measured at the dropouts. I used a hub with a mark in the very center and used a straight edge to measure down the center of the steerer to determine how much to adjust. After removing the hub I was able to bend the blades into the proper position. After making the adjustments I was able to ride with my hands off the bars instead of fighting to keep the bike going straight prior to making the adjustments.

Old 10-14-21, 10:04 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Cool. Can you describe how you bent the blades?
Likes For due ruote:
Old 10-14-21, 10:30 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Originally Posted by due ruote
Pretty much brute force. To adjust the blade rake at the dropouts I put my foot on the board between the blades and pushed/pulled on the blade that needed adjustment. For the side to side I set the jig on it's side and pushed/pulled the blade that needed adjustment. I then reinstalled the hub and remeasured to make sure it was adjusted correctly.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 10-14-21, 11:58 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Pretty much brute force. To adjust the blade rake at the dropouts I put my foot on the board between the blades and pushed/pulled on the blade that needed adjustment. For the side to side I set the jig on it's side and pushed/pulled the blade that needed adjustment. I then reinstalled the hub and remeasured to make sure it was adjusted correctly.
Your rig is similar to one I made up, u-bolts FTW.
I used a small jack to realign my blades, pushing on a bare axle I used in the dropouts.

Decided to add a picture of mine, though not in use. I needed more spacers to fit the jack (not pictured) underneath.
My blades were both bent back, and not easy to bend back into place. I had to overbend more than I expected to get them reset.

Last edited by Ex Pres; 10-14-21 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 10-14-21, 12:16 PM
rjhammett

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Your rig is similar to one I made up, u-bolts FTW.
I used a small jack to realign my blades, pushing on a bare axle I used in the dropouts.
I was going to use U bolts but I found these in a junk box. The use of a jack would make it real easy. I was able to align the blades without too much trouble/force.
Old 10-14-21, 01:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Thank you! I have a couple of forks that need attention, and have been looking for a practical approach for a while.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-14-21, 01:27 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have access to the park tools to align a fork but let me say this looks terrific. Really satisfying when no hands riding results!
Old 10-14-21, 02:41 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
A gentleman I know builds his own frames and made this one that he lent me for my bent fork
Fork Jig 1 on Flickr
Fork Jig 2 wfork on Flickr
Fork Jig 3 wfork on Flickr
Fork Jig 4 wfork on Flickr

The two screws between the retainers are adjusted to be level and adjusted to the off-set desired. The fork is then placed on the "hub" and the steerer should be in contact with both screws.
This is not a tool for bending but to check the alignment.
Old 10-18-21, 05:54 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
My '90ish Giordana Spica wanted to veer strongly to the left when riding. I tried the fork alignment that Sheldon had on his site without much success ( https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/align-fork.html ). I decided to build my own jig to try to fix the fork. I built it using parts I had around the shop. I was able to straighten the blades so they were centered and was able to adjust the rake as measured at the dropouts. I used a hub with a mark in the very center and used a straight edge to measure down the center of the steerer to determine how much to adjust. After removing the hub I was able to bend the blades into the proper position. After making the adjustments I was able to ride with my hands off the bars instead of fighting to keep the bike going straight prior to making the adjustments.

Outstanding!