Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

To re-tape handlebar or to leave?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-25-21, 08:42 AM
PBYO988 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts

I’m not sure, I have a 1970 French tourer that has the original tape. Is re-taping going to drag the look down?

Old 12-25-21, 08:49 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts
If the tape is still in decent shape I would consider cleaning it first, and see how I like it. That tape has a certain charm, IMHO.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-25-21, 08:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Certainly clean it best you can and see how you like it. Light colored tape is hard to keep clean but looks great. I have a bike that came with white cloth tape and it looked nice as it got some mild off color to it. When it got real dirty , I cleaned it with Dawn dish liquid and warm water and the set it out to dry. It looks great again but not like new tape.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-25-21, 10:03 AM
PBYO988 

Originally Posted by non-fixie
If the tape is still in decent shape I would consider cleaning it first, and see how I like it. That tape has a certain charm, IMHO.
i agree that the vintage look does have an appealing charm.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Certainly clean it best you can and see how you like it. Light colored tape is hard to keep clean but looks great. I have a bike that came with white cloth tape and it looked nice as it got some mild off color to it. When it got real dirty , I cleaned it with Dawn dish liquid and warm water and the set it out to dry. It looks great again but not like new tape.
I’ll give the Dawn dish liquid approach a bash and see how it looks, thx.
Old 12-25-21, 10:15 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Gaps at brake hoods make me think this wasn’t a factory tape job. Or is my recollection clouded by Nostalgia? Cloth Velox Tressostar, etc. would look real nice. I am not sure 45 + year old plastic tape is a truly appreciated as an indicator of undisturbed vintage-ness.
Likes For elcraft:
Old 12-25-21, 10:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Tape, chains and tires are consumables. If you're into period correctness, consider cotton tape with shellac on top for a 70's french tourer.
Old 12-25-21, 10:30 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
That tape looks like it's still good, but I don't know if it was that creme color from the factory, or is just blanched. I'd clean it up and ride with it and see how it feels. Otherwise, you should be able to find something similar from Benotto, Hunt-Wylde or OGK.
Old 12-25-21, 10:53 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Gaps at brake hoods make me think this wasn’t a factory tape job. Or is my recollection clouded by Nostalgia? Cloth Velox Tressostar, etc. would look real nice. I am not sure 45 + year old plastic tape is a truly appreciated as an indicator of undisturbed vintage-ness.
in the 70’s plastic tape was a one go, no sissy strips at the levers.
cloth tape might have had extra attention
with half hood Mafac levers - the only was to control things was to tape with the lever bodies off. Quite a bit of work as the 9mm retaining nut really wants the room, the cable has to be removed or really loose.
in a bike shop setting way too much time save for Herse or Singer.

as to leaving the tape, fresh tape will make the rest of the bike appear shabby. Depends on your clean and polish goal.
noting also that French bars of the era were really narrow. Like 36 cm ctc often.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-25-21, 11:06 AM
PBYO988 

Originally Posted by repechage
in the 70’s plastic tape was a one go, no sissy strips at the levers.
cloth tape might have had extra attention
with half hood Mafac levers - the only was to control things was to tape with the lever bodies off. Quite a bit of work as the 9mm retaining nut really wants the room, the cable has to be removed or really loose.
in a bike shop setting way too much time save for Herse or Singer.

as to leaving the tape, fresh tape will make the rest of the bike appear shabby. Depends on your clean and polish goal.
noting also that French bars of the era were really narrow. Like 36 cm ctc often.
Thats a good point about fresh tape and the accent of the bike. The frame has a metallic blue paint that looks a bit shabby also the foil decals on the front forks are either peeling off or insofar as the Reynolds decal, missing completely. The campy accoutrements, hubs, pedals, chainring etc have polished up incredibly well and make the frame look even more of a bad state. So I may try as suggested, clean the tape and see how it looks.

Old 12-25-21, 11:13 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Wipe, Clean and Now Refreshed....Good fo another 20.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-25-21, 11:15 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Of course new tape and wet sand the frame with a very fine paper. Old tape is disgusting and can be completely unsafe if there's corrosion on the bars.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-25-21, 11:44 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 217 Posts
Clean the tape. As much as I disliked that plastic tape at the time, ( the tape that came stock on my 74 PX10 ended up wrapping the handle of our lawn mover and proved Impervious to gas , oil, sweat, etc) if yours is holding up, keep it. It speaks to the origins of the bike and its time. Even if you replace it with modern plastic, it won’t be the same. You might duplicate the texture but you can’t duplicate the wrapping technique, probably done by some long gone Frenchman with a Galoise hanging from his lips. It’s the one piece of the bike that you can touch and know that some other human ran it though his hands to make sure the job was done.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 12-25-21, 11:51 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Unless the bicycle's cosmetics are really challenged, new tape will not necessarily drag the look down. Also, I have little like or respect for smooth slippery handle bar tape, such as that presented on the OP's bike.

With both of those thoughts in mind, I would not hesitate to install new handle bar tape. I would go with cloth tape, just to retain the vintage look and appeal. I will also offer a bit of advice, should the OP choose to install cloth tape.

Remove the bars and steering stem, if possible. Remove the old tape. Position the brake levers exactly where he or she wants them to be and then secure the clamps in place with tape. Then remove the handles, leaving the clamps in place. Now, it will be easy to wrap the bars and avoid the unpleasant wrinkling of the tape around the levers. Have a look at the pictures and know that, in my opinion, there is no easier way to tape bars and get really good results...

Position the levers...

Secure clamps in place. I also use silicone seal to prevent the female portion of the clamp from moving...

Now, wrap the handlebar and then install the lever body/hood assembly...

The results usually turn out pretty good (I do NOT recommend using white cloth tape - it dirties up pretty fast)...

If you have or choose to use the Gaslo style of end plug, put one wrap of cloth tape underneath before slipping the end plug into place. Doing so will greatly ensure that the plug stays where it belongs during tape installation and afterwards, during use...

I have been wrapping bars like this for years and have yet to have the job turn out poorly...
Old 12-25-21, 01:10 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Hey, at least it’s top down with no electrical tape to finish it off, I’d leave it.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 12-25-21, 01:19 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
https://www.mrclean.com/en-us/shop-p.../magic-erasers
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-25-21, 02:33 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Bleh...all the grubby people that've touched it.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 12-25-21, 03:42 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Clean the tape. As much as I disliked that plastic tape at the time, ( the tape that came stock on my 74 PX10 ended up wrapping the handle of our lawn mover and proved Impervious to gas , oil, sweat, etc) if yours is holding up, keep it. It speaks to the origins of the bike and its time. Even if you replace it with modern plastic, it won’t be the same. You might duplicate the texture but you can’t duplicate the wrapping technique, probably done by some long gone Frenchman with a Galoise hanging from his lips. It’s the one piece of the bike that you can touch and know that some other human ran it though his hands to make sure the job was done.
I was faced with the same question as the OP and all set to re-tape a bike with some extra nice Handlebra leather tape that I special ordered but I just could not bring myself to removing the old Benotto tape that “some other human” had wrapped so perfectly so long ago. Way nicer than I would’ve done. I’ll save the leather for another bike.

Old 12-25-21, 04:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Of course new tape and wet sand the frame with a very fine paper. Old tape is disgusting and can be completely unsafe if there's corrosion on the bars.
+1. Just knowing that my sweat is enough to start corroding the bars after a few years, it's a good idea to take off the old tape so you can completely know the state of yours.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-25-21, 09:56 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Leave the tape until the paint looks too good for it. Right now, it doesn't.

Last edited by Classtime; 12-26-21 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Likes For Classtime:
Old 12-25-21, 10:36 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Still in two minds about this myself .
do I or dont I

Old 12-25-21, 10:39 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Unless the bicycle's cosmetics are really challenged, new tape will not necessarily drag the look down. Also, I have little like or respect for smooth slippery handle bar tape, such as that presented on the OP's bike.

With both of those thoughts in mind, I would not hesitate to install new handle bar tape. I would go with cloth tape, just to retain the vintage look and appeal. I will also offer a bit of advice, should the OP choose to install cloth tape.

Remove the bars and steering stem, if possible. Remove the old tape. Position the brake levers exactly where he or she wants them to be and then secure the clamps in place with tape. Then remove the handles, leaving the clamps in place. Now, it will be easy to wrap the bars and avoid the unpleasant wrinkling of the tape around the levers. Have a look at the pictures and know that, in my opinion, there is no easier way to tape bars and get really good results...

Position the levers...

I have been wrapping bars like this for years and have yet to have the job turn out poorly...
I see on the black ribbon you wrapped from the top down. Is there a reason or just trying something different? I do both but some tapes wear faster with the edge on top.
Old 12-26-21, 06:06 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 334 Posts
I'm putting in a vote for 'new' plastic tape.
My 82 Holdsworth originally had slightly silver plastic tape (I bought one new in 83 and I just about remember), I got a another one a few months back and the tape had gone a nasty yellow colour.
Found some NOS Schwinn "old school silver tinted" on Ebay and studied how the original tape was wrapped (do one side at a time).

1982 Wrapped from the top, figure of 8 round the hoods.
Cheated slightly: I did put some double sided tape at the top starting point, and I've now put one wrap of Sellotape Crystal Clear round the plug end.

Old 12-26-21, 07:40 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I see on the black ribbon you wrapped from the top down. Is there a reason or just trying something different? I do both but some tapes wear faster with the edge on top.
The black bar tape, top down, was installed that way since I had end plugs that inserted into the handlebar, thus securing the running end of the tape...

The red bar tape did not have internal plugs. Rather, the externa Gaslo plugs made it seem more appropriate to wrap from the end of the bar to the center. There was no practical way to insert the tabs into the bars, as can be seen "as found"...

Had I gone top down, the black electrical tape would have, in my mind, looked to be miserably out of place at the bar ends and would have telegraphed the tabs on the Gaslo caps...
Old 12-26-21, 11:59 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I ran the black plastic Hunt Wilde bar tape (or, something equally "pro") that came on my late 70's Schwinn, aka "most ridden" hooptie bike" until I had to eventually replace it because it had numerous edge breaks in it, and it looked and felt like it might asplode at any moment, or on any outing. I had even rewrapped the bottom half, below the brake lever, with slightly newer, scavenged tape, tape, which meant I squeezed another year or two of riding out of the wrapping. "Is it great tape?"... "no". But there was a very satisfying self pride thing happening, knowing that I'd worn the tape "smooth" in most used hand positions. I'd say there was an equal amount of gross sloughed hand skin, dried sweat, leavings as experienced with what could be found under decade old cloth bar tape, so I think that consideration aspect is a coin toss. Whatever is found under old bar tape, no matter what the original composition of said bar tape, it's a given that it's going to be 113% grossness. So, take this as a contrarian view, based more on a personal stubbornness, wabi-sabi mindset to a fault, planet savior agenda sorta person, that is diametrically opposed to any aesthetics considerations other viewpoints have offered.
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 12-26-21, 03:27 PM
PBYO988 

I am leaning heavily towards keeping the old tape. It seems in keeping with the general patina of the frame.
Thank you to everyone for all of your differing insights, your opinions were extremely helpful.
I used T-Cut to clean the paint and it got a lot of the grime and discolouration off but I didn’t want to push it through fear of reaching the primer. It looks good I think. All except for the foil decals. I think they are a terrible idea and very unsightly.

Last edited by PBYO988; 12-26-21 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For PBYO988:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.