Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What bike for transporting optical gear

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-25-22, 02:28 AM
StargazeCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

I have two bikes, one is a Giant TCR road bike that I have rode a few metric centuries, the other is a Walmart beater pseudo mountain bike, with rigid fork, and weights more than 30 pounds, that is good for my 2 miles commute.

As my username says I cycle to darker places to observe. I carry my telescope in my backpack, with is about 9 pounds. Recently I found a good potential site, that is 11.5 miles of cycling with 3 mild climbs, or 12 miles with 1 climb, and mostly along empty sidewalks.

I actually tried riding both bikes there without gear. The TCR was fine, but with the beater, even with semi slick tires I was averaging 10mph, and was tired. Are Walmart bike that slow?

On the other hand the 25c road bike feels less stable (is that just psychological?), also it lives in my apartment 5 floors up.

I think maybe I can improve either bike or arrange the trip better. Ideas?
Old 02-25-22, 08:27 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I believe I saw a TCR with 32mm, maybe it was 30mm tire set. I would not think 9# would make much difference unless it moves around in which case it would. I have seen light weight racks that mount on carbon or aluminum frames using rubber lined clamps for bikes not fitted out for racks, would not put a lot of weight on them but would easy hold 9#.
Old 02-25-22, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
To your direct question, yes, I can believe a MTB can be that much slower than a road bike.

On the implicit question of how to transport your telescope, that's a mixed bag. Your MTB with bigger, lower pressure tires probably does a much better job of shock absorption than the road bike's 25 mm tires. Without knowing much about the 'scope, I'd worry that putting it on a rack (or in panniers on a rack) might knock something out of alignment, so the 15 minutes or so you got to your site earlier than with a MTB might be consumed in tweaking the telescope. Better in that instance to keep carrying it on your back, so you get the extra shock absorption of tush plus knees and hips.

Two suggestions. First, see how big a tire you can fit on the TCR. Second, think about getting an extra blinkie and riding all or most of the route on the road, so you don't need to worry about the sidewalk. At least IME, sidewalks seem to be as smooth as the worst (allegedly) paved streets and roads.
Old 02-25-22, 09:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Regardless of which bike you use, carrying a telescope in a backpack gives it the best isolation from shocks while riding versus panniers or racks.

I also have a couple of road bikes and an old, heavy 90s hard-tail MTB. With fat 26x1.85 slicks I average 11.5 mph versus 12.5 for the road bikes during regular commuting. When pushing it I can add a mile an hour to the averages.

I usually run the slicks at 5 psi over their rated 65 psi max, but when carrying sensitive equipment I lower them to 45 or 50 psi with a resulting increase in cushion and comfort, as well as pedalling effort, and a decrease in speed.

In the winter the MTB gets 26x1.65 deeply treaded and studded tires which lower the average speed to 10.5 mph on dry and less in the snow depending on conditions and tire pressure.

The MTB has Wald folding baskets in the rear, which have a minor cushioning advantage over the rear rack.

I have successfully carried laptops and other electronic equipment in the rear baskets with ample cushioning. I think softer panniers would cusion even more, but I have no pannier experience.

I do know that with slicks, the MTB, despite its wide tires is useless in mud and in loose, sandy dirt.

If it were me, I would carry the telescope in my backpack and ride the slower, but more stable Wal-Mart bike. At 10 miles an hour you would cover a mile every 6 minutes...at 12.5 miles an hour you cover a mile every 5 minutes. Over the 11.5 mile ride to the observation site that's 69 minutes versus 57. Just 12 extra minutes each way and...what's your hurry? I usually listen to spoken word podcasts in one ear while riding, and if it's a good one I don't notice the time. I know there have to be some good astronomy podcasts out there.

Just my two cents.

Ride safe and good gazing!
Old 02-25-22, 09:34 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
With a user name like mine, I'm more interested in the telescope! At 9 lbs., presumably including the mount, I'm guessing it's a nice refractor. Pictures, please!
Old 02-26-22, 10:13 AM
StargazeCyclist

Originally Posted by Altair 4
With a user name like mine, I'm more interested in the telescope! At 9 lbs., presumably including the mount, I'm guessing it's a nice refractor. Pictures, please!
Here you go
https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads...1601898068.jpg
it is a vintage 4” sct from Meade, one of the most compact telescope ever marketed. The tube + mounting brackets is about 4 lbs, the tripod + head is another 4 lbs, and 1 lbs for a box of eyepieces.
Old 02-26-22, 10:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
I would take the bike that has the best lighting for night rides.
Old 02-26-22, 10:33 AM
StargazeCyclist

Originally Posted by pdlamb

Two suggestions. First, see how big a tire you can fit on the TCR. Second, think about getting an extra blinkie and riding all or most of the route on the road, so you don't need to worry about the sidewalk. At least IME, sidewalks seem to be as smooth as the worst (allegedly) paved streets and roads.
Back to bikes... For the TCR 25c is the maximum and that is tight. I do carry the optics on my back, and the tripod on the rack, when I ride the BSO. I would still need to align the telescope every time. It is particularly sensitive. The big hazard here, is if I crash, even at zero speed.

As for the road vs sidewalk, the road is a 55mph highway, going straight out from the city. I would ride on the shoulder at day time, not so sure at midnight.
Old 02-26-22, 05:34 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
Here you go
https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads...1601898068.jpg
it is a vintage 4” sct from Meade, one of the most compact telescope ever marketed. The tube + mounting brackets is about 4 lbs, the tripod + head is another 4 lbs, and 1 lbs for a box of eyepieces.
Very reminiscent of the classic Questar 'scopes. Haven't had the chance to read more on this model - so it's a SCT not a Mak?
I have a Meade 8" LX-50 CST. Getting to be that time of the year to start bringing it out again. I could never take that beast on a bike!
Old 02-27-22, 06:04 AM
StargazeCyclist

Originally Posted by Altair 4
Very reminiscent of the classic Questar 'scopes. Haven't had the chance to read more on this model - so it's a SCT not a Mak?
I have a Meade 8" LX-50 CST. Getting to be that time of the year to start bringing it out again. I could never take that beast on a bike!
The model is Meade 2045. No it is not a Mak, that is rare and particularly important for a weight weenie. I bought the bike from Walmart because I found no suitable place near home to observe. That eventually got me into the rabbit hole of cycling...
Old 02-27-22, 06:29 AM
StargazeCyclist

Originally Posted by BobbyG
If it were me, I would carry the telescope in my backpack and ride the slower, but more stable Wal-Mart bike. At 10 miles an hour you would cover a mile every 6 minutes...at 12.5 miles an hour you cover a mile every 5 minutes. Over the 11.5 mile ride to the observation site that's 69 minutes versus 57. Just 12 extra minutes each way and...what's your hurry? I usually listen to spoken word podcasts in one ear while riding, and if it's a good one I don't notice the time. I know there have to be some good astronomy podcasts out there.

Just my two cents.

Ride safe and good gazing!
This may be rhetorical but after another night of observation at a closer site and thinking about it I have a more serious answer.

In my experience, if the ride takes more than ~45 min to an hour it feels more like a workout, and the whole session feels more like a major adventure than a backyard grab and go quick look. No wonder I keep thinking about how to do it better (and amateur astronomers like new, sometimes weird ways to boost the performance of their gear).

I have seen quite a few interesting and sometimes diverging viewpoints so keep them coming.
Old 02-27-22, 08:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
StargazeCyclist It sounds like you aren't considering a new bike, but if you were, you might consider an e-bike. It could raise your average speed and also allow you to easily pull a trailer. And if you can pull a trailer you can fashion some sort of major isolation for your telescope.

Even without e-assist, a lightweight trailer with a large underinflated excercise ball, or multiple underinflated air mattresses may provide the cushioning the telescope needs, although without e-assist the going would be even slower.
Old 02-27-22, 08:53 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
I might suggest new tires for the cheap mtb assuming it is otherwise in good working order (and a thorough maintenance if it's at all stiff, creaky, whatever) - rolling resistance is much larger with cheap tires, unfortunately. Should soften the ride a little too.
Old 02-27-22, 11:31 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
What bike for transporting optical gear?

You need a Focus, obviously.
Old 02-27-22, 12:55 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
Back to bikes... For the TCR 25c is the maximum and that is tight. I do carry the optics on my back, and the tripod on the rack, when I ride the BSO. I would still need to align the telescope every time. It is particularly sensitive. The big hazard here, is if I crash, even at zero speed.

As for the road vs sidewalk, the road is a 55mph highway, going straight out from the city. I would ride on the shoulder at day time, not so sure at midnight.
There is no bike that will allow you to carry the tube safely on the bike, rather than on your back. There will simply be too many jolts, and too much vibration. As for riding on the road at night, I find cars give me a wider berth at night, than they do during the day. I ride with good lights though.

I have wanted to carry one of my telescopes to the observing site on the motorcycle I have with a sidecar. The issue is the vibration and bumps, it rides like a buckboard. Neither of my telescopes could be easily carried on my back. I may try it one day with my Dob, with plenty of cushioning. It is simple and easy to collimate. I probably wouldn't carry my C8 like that though.
Old 02-27-22, 02:46 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
a few things to check, or change on the beater bike
do the wheels spin free? hub and crank bearings in good condition?
are the brakes dragging? narrow slick tires at a decent PSI? or cheap low pressure heavy fat slicks ?
I used a mid level 26" mountain bike as my general purpose bike for decades
everything from a quick trip to the store, to full century rides (100+ miles)
the only major change I made to the bike was a pair of decent 1.5 X 26 high pressure tires
and a good seat, not as fast as one of my road bikes, but much more comfortable