Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Koolstop tire bead jack question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 02:49 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Does anyone use this to put hard to fit tyres by hand? Is it effortless as advertised? Planning to use this on my Marathons on the Brompton, which I spent almost an hour just to get it on, ugh.
Old 08-21-22, 06:53 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 374 Posts
I wouldn’t call it effortless, but it can certainly save some effort. It will take a little practice to get the proper technique down but can be very helpful.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 08-21-22, 06:55 AM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Absolutely love these and won't be with out them .
Once you get used to using them they make putting your tires a simple task.
I always carry these with me on my bike in case of a flat.
Old 08-21-22, 07:03 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
As noted, it certainly doesn't make the job effortless but it makes nearly any tire/rim combination possible. I've used mine to install very tight fitting tires that were much too hard to fit by hand and endangered standard tire levers. It works very well.

BTW, I've noticed that once you coerce a tire onto a rim the first time, removing and replacing it afterward is quite a bit easier. Tires that required the Kool Stop to install them the first time could be reinstalled with ordinary tire levers afterward so roadside repairs were not a hassle.
Old 08-21-22, 07:05 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I have one but I'm not sure if it's a KoolStop model. I don't need to use it that often but when I do it comes in really handy. Usually it's used for a new tire on a first time install. It's not "necessary" but it can speed things up.
Old 08-21-22, 09:38 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you need a bead jack to mount your tires, you had better have it with you when you get a flat or you are going to be stuck.
Another way to ease mounting of tires is to use a thinner rim strip than the usual Velox; I use Continental Easy Strips and others have used Kapton tape or reinforced filament packing tape. The thinner tape gives you more room to get the bead down into the rim, which gives you more slack.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-21-22, 09:51 AM
byscott

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I use one of these regularly and wouldn’t be without it. As far as “If you need a bead jack to mount your tires, you had better have it with you when you get a flat” is concerned, that hasn’t been my experience. I’ve had several tires — usually Continentals — where I needed a tire jack to get the tire on the rim, but the bead stretched out after that.

Most recently it was a set of Continental Sport Contact tires in 700x32c. I had mounted them a month or so ago and they were very difficult, even with the jack. I needed to dismount and remount them recently (changing from Schrader to Presta tubes) and it was no big deal — I just used a couple of blue tire levers.
Old 08-21-22, 10:00 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I'm going to think about getting one of these. As I get older and my wrist arthritis progresses, I have trouble getting the Nokian studded tires on and off. I never have flats on these tires, and even if I did I'd just cart the bike home. Luckily, the tires I use on my commuter bike and my (non-winter) recreational bikes are relatively easy to get on and off.
Old 08-21-22, 12:27 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I regularly put Marathons on Brompton rims with bare hands only. I.e., when you run into difficulties it is due deficiencies in the technique rather than tool shortage. Start putting tires on without tube in, nor tools. Yes you can take them off with no tools too. Then add tubes but make sure that you get air out completely. Roll them up. Unscrew the valve core when needed. If tubes are completely drained of air, it should not matter whether they are in or not, and so on.

Otherwise, yes, Tire Bead Jack helps, when you are sloppy, did not get air completely, want to save 15sec. Otherwise work on your technique. It will help you on the road. I had 3 Bromptons w/Marathons to service this summer. Yes, I put studded Schwalbes with bare hands too. It is not magic, but just rational deterministic process.
Old 08-21-22, 03:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...this has come up before as a topic. More than once. I will never understand the resistance of some people to a tool that makes your life easier. But I don't really understand masochism, either.
Old 08-21-22, 03:40 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I buy saddle bags specifically based on whether they are long enough to include one of these along with 2 levers, 2 spare tubes, and my other tools.
Old 08-21-22, 03:46 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
If it were effortless, you wouldn't need it. But for some rim-tire combinations, this tool (or others like it) is practically indispensable.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 08-21-22, 03:50 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...this has come up before as a topic. More than once. I will never understand the resistance of some people to a tool that makes your life easier. But I don't really understand masochism, either.
Do you have an industrial steam press for any clothing that might need ironing? A heated towel rack for warm extra dry towels?

It isn’t that I don’t want other people to have tools they appreciate, it’s just that if I had one of these it would never get used, because easily changing tires simply isn’t a problem for me the one, maybe two times a year I do it.

For those who have a hard time and already understand the basics of getting the bead in the low spot on the rim, yes, the tool does work.
Old 08-21-22, 04:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Do you have an industrial steam press for any clothing that might need ironing? A heated towel rack for warm extra dry towels?
...neither of those things would make my life easier. Both would require additional maintenance. So no. And I don't have any clothing that I iron, since I retired. I think I still have an iron, but would be hard pressed to find it.

I do, however, have three or four of those bead jacks stashed in various convenient spots, which cost about ten bucks each, work well, and seem to last forever. So I still don't get it ?
Old 08-21-22, 04:34 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

It isn’t that I don’t want other people to have tools they appreciate, it’s just that if I had one of these it would never get used, because easily changing tires simply isn’t a problem for me the one, maybe two times a year I do it.

For those who have a hard time and already understand the basics of getting the bead in the low spot on the rim, yes, the tool does work.
...you speak of this like you are familiar with all rim designs, and all tire and rim combinations. I'm happy for you. I change a lot of tires. I used to change more of them.
Old 08-21-22, 05:03 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
...neither of those things would make my life easier. Both would require additional maintenance. So no. And I don't have any clothing that I iron, since I retired. I think I still have an iron, but would be hard pressed to find it.

I do, however, have three or four of those bead jacks stashed in various convenient spots, which cost about ten bucks each, work well, and seem to last forever. So I still don't get it ?
My point is that it isn’t necessarily people resisting a tool that makes their life easier, it might be people resisting a tool that *doesn’t* make their life easier, because their circumstances are different.

I don’t have an industrial iron either, but I do know someone with one and they can’t understand why everyone wouldn’t want one. Just different needs and capabilities.

I used to change a lot of tires, and at that point I did use one of these. Never enough to want one at home though, because it doesn’t come up there, or on rides.
Old 08-21-22, 05:27 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 192 Posts
I have one and sometimes it's the best tool, sometimes not. Worth having in the toolbox. I really like the Crankborthers Speedier Lever. They are my go-to tire levers.
Old 08-21-22, 06:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

My point is that it isn’t necessarily people resisting a tool that makes their life easier, it might be people resisting a tool that *doesn’t* make their life easier, because their circumstances are different.

I don’t have an industrial iron either, but I do know someone with one and they can’t understand why everyone wouldn’t want one. Just different needs and capabilities.

I used to change a lot of tires, and at that point I did use one of these. Never enough to want one at home though, because it doesn’t come up there, or on rides.
...I think I was pretty specific about what I said. If it doesn't make your life easier, you're not included in my sample demographic.

Old 08-21-22, 07:21 PM
posse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Have used the Koolstop for several years, primarily for initial tire installation. I jersey pocket one on every ride - it's been handy for me and others on group rides.
Likes For posse:
Old 08-22-22, 04:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I think it is handy I used them for Challenge Tires and it helped out quite a bit I didn't carry the tool with me beyond that as the tires stretched out a little and were much easier on and off after being seated and inflated and ridden for a bit. However a vulcanized tire yes you would carry the tool with you if you were having problems.

I use the tool at work with semi regularity but I am not regularly wrenching.
Old 08-22-22, 05:22 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
If you need a bead jack to mount your tires, you had better have it with you when you get a flat or you are going to be stuck.
True. MIne weighs almost 3 oz, so it's not a great burden - but I use a rack trunk to hold a lot of stuff that others - probably most of BF - don't carry on their rides.

I had one set of tires that the chief mechanic at a successful LBS mounted by hand only after 20 minutes of effort; the tool would have helped him. My thumbs are arthritic; the tool is essential for me.

One needs to develop some technique to use it effectively; the better the technique, the easier it is to mount a tire.
Old 08-23-22, 05:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
True. MIne weighs almost 3 oz, so it's not a great burden - but I use a rack trunk to hold a lot of stuff that others - probably most of BF - don't carry on their rides.
Like you, I carry one of these in my trunk bag when I ride. Riding with younger growing kids (now in 8th and 12th grade), I learned quickly to have first aid materials with me (bandages, creams, etc.). But I also like having plenty of stuff to help others who may not have their tools with them. I've been able to fix chains with a chain tool and set of quick links, patch inner tubes with a patch kit, and even tighten pedals with a 15mm pedal wrench.
Old 08-23-22, 08:10 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
30 years ago I bought a similar lever made by VAR. it was a smaller lever and more flexible, but it does help with certain tire/rim combinations.

Ot is not so much just mounting the tire as it is protecting the tube from pinches by lifting the bead up and over.

I have a couple of older mtb’s and one is running a typical early 90’s road rim. Stuffing a 2.1 tire on a 13mm box rim is not an easy task. The KoolStop Tire Jack helps a lot.

I’m also running 25/32 tubes in 25mm tires. A lot of tube to negotiate the bead around.

I take the VAR with me on my road bike and a cut down KoolStop on my mtb.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-23-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-23-22, 08:36 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I'm going to think about getting one of these. As I get older and my wrist arthritis progresses,...
Due to arthritis I always mount a new tire with one and have found generally as mentioned that is the only time needed unless the tire shows greater than typical difficulty from the initial mounting and then I put one with the handle slightly shortened to fit in a bag. On bad hand/wrist OA days when I can only ride a trike with the wonderful wrist supports I have one always in the my trikes bag.
Old 08-23-22, 09:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Kool stop works great.

I don't carry on my bike, but my standard practice for hard to mount tires is a few days after mounting, do a simulated road flat repair to ensure no problems.

with tight tire good levers are essential and possibly a metal lever is needed. I like park for tl-4.2 for plastic https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...ver-set-tl-4-2 and TL 6.2 for metal https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...=Tube+%26+Tire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.