Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 09-13-22, 12:59 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
So I have stopped using saddle bags. In my growing sense of vanity, I hate the way they look. So in my pockets I bring my phone, a tube, 2 tire levers, my mini tool and a protein bar. If I’m on the ritchey I bring a spare downtube clamp. Don’t know if they break but don’t want to find out.

Its not ideal, but it doesn’t really bother me. Today I wore my new matching kit, and the material is super stretchy, so by the end of the ride it felt like the items in my pocket were hanging off my backside. If I tried to sprint, they were bouncing all over the place. This didn’t happen the first time I wore it, and it’s not too big. Thoughts? I’m gunna have to come up with a better solution. I like the mini saddle bags I see, but I don’t think I would be good at fitting that stuff in them.
Tough call. A mini saddlebag is reasonable. Some people use one of their bottle mounts to have a bottle-like storage compartment.

Personally, I put a mini pump/C02 with one cartridge/tube/tire levers/small bits into a drawstring bag and put it in my middle jersey pocket. It fits fine and does not stretch my kit. Snacks and folded up gilet (if necessary) in one side pocket, wallet/cell phone in the other side pocket. That works for me, but you should do what works best for you.
Old 09-13-22, 01:07 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

EDIT: This would be the perfect Larry thread.

BTW, saw him on the road on Friday. He really does wave at everybody. This is why I think of him as a Golden Retriever Puppy - big, happy, and friendly, galumphing through life happily heedless of danger.
So he’s legit? Have the BF troll detectives been notified? Have they issued an apology, because anybody even slightly different than their standards has just got to be a troll. SMFH
Old 09-13-22, 01:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Tough call. A mini saddlebag is reasonable. Some people use one of their bottle mounts to have a bottle-like storage compartment.

Personally, I put a mini pump/C02 with one cartridge/tube/tire levers/small bits into a drawstring bag and put it in my middle jersey pocket. It fits fine and does not stretch my kit. Snacks and folded up gilet (if necessary) in one side pocket, wallet/cell phone in the other side pocket. That works for me, but you should do what works best for you.
I like the look of a clean bar and a clean seatpost/saddle. But after loading up my jersey pockets with all the crap I'd put into a saddlebag, I discovered I had no room for arm warmers and a gilet vest, if it warmed up during a ride. Then I discovered just how many strokes it takes to pump up any tire with a minipump - hint - it's about 65x the number of licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop. So I mount a frame pump when one will fit. Then I realized that I feel a lot safer with lights front and rear. Then I got a Varia.

So I gave up on the clean look and went with clutter - which I have to move from bike to bike.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-13-22, 01:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by BillyD
So he’s legit? Have the BF troll detectives been notified? Have they issued an apology, because anybody even slightly different than their standards has just got to be a troll. SMFH
He's definitely real, right down to the size and weight, the gymshorts and no shirt, the lack of a helmet, and the somewhat bleary affect. Not only that, a couple weeks back I stopped to talk to him a bit, and he proudly showed off the loop of brown twine he was using to pull his rear brake pad off the wheel, instead of loosening the mounting bolt and re-centering the calipers.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-13-22, 01:25 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
No canary yellow?
For BMWs, it is Dakar Yellow.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-bmw-m-coupe-31/

I guess not as popular as others.. which makes it more desirable..

Last edited by cat0020; 09-13-22 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 01:27 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
So I have stopped using saddle bags. In my growing sense of vanity, I hate the way they look. So in my pockets I bring my phone, a tube, 2 tire levers, my mini tool and a protein bar. If I’m on the ritchey I bring a spare downtube clamp. Don’t know if they break but don’t want to find out.

Its not ideal, but it doesn’t really bother me. Today I wore my new matching kit, and the material is super stretchy, so by the end of the ride it felt like the items in my pocket were hanging off my backside. If I tried to sprint, they were bouncing all over the place. This didn’t happen the first time I wore it, and it’s not too big. Thoughts? I’m gunna have to come up with a better solution. I like the mini saddle bags I see, but I don’t think I would be good at fitting that stuff in them.
I’ve been using a bidon, from Elite for storage because I didn’t like how the Fly6 rear camera mount was strapped around the seatpost. For a cleaner look, I got those under saddle rail mounts off Amazon and bought some custom 3-D Cycliq adapters to work with those mounts. With the Elite bidon in the bottle cage, I can store just about everything I need for a long distance ride.
Old 09-13-22, 01:33 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

I use the smaller version of this now: https://www.orucase.com/products/sad...12984166416437 ( in the pic with the blue seat mast)

I fit a spare tube, tire lever, 2 16g CO2 cartridges, CO2 head, couple of allen wrenches, shop rag and cash with no problem. It tucks nicely under the saddle and is quite unobtrusive.
Old 09-13-22, 01:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by cat0020

Kinda like waxing chains??
Old 09-13-22, 01:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That's more the color of Hollandaise Sauce than Canary Yellow.

Mmmmmmm.....Hollandaise.....

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-13-22, 01:57 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

He's definitely real, right down to the size and weight, the gymshorts and no shirt, the lack of a helmet, and the somewhat bleary affect. Not only that, a couple weeks back I stopped to talk to him a bit, and he proudly showed off the loop of brown twine he was using to pull his rear brake pad off the wheel, instead of loosening the mounting bolt and re-centering the calipers.
Maybe the two of you can get together and do a call-in cycling podcast? Think "Car Talk" but about bikes??
Old 09-13-22, 02:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Maybe the two of you can get together and do a call-in cycling podcast? Think "Car Talk" but about bikes??

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-13-22, 02:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Parody thread idea of the day: "Recovery Rides for Endurance Drinkers."
Larry must have suggestions.
Old 09-13-22, 02:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Larry must have suggestions.
Larry has a LOT of suggestions.

Old 09-13-22, 02:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Great fall weather today. Got out for a ride with a friend that's nursing himself back from a shattered collar bone. Very strong rider, but a couple months off of the bike has him in spring form, not early fall form. All the better for me, as I've got some good fatigue in the legs, anyway. We got detoured (a lot), got a little lost, and even got stuck behind a vehicle painting lane stripes... still a good day riding bikes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-13-22, 03:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Great fall weather today. Got out for a ride with a friend that's nursing himself back from a shattered collar bone. Very strong rider, but a couple months off of the bike has him in spring form, not early fall form. All the better for me, as I've got some good fatigue in the legs, anyway. We got detoured (a lot), got a little lost, and even got stuck behind a vehicle painting lane stripes... still a good day riding bikes.
And yet I'm going to try NOT to fall.

Old 09-13-22, 03:13 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is it gilet season yet??
Old 09-13-22, 03:14 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts

I only use mini bags for my flat repair kits. This Lezyne has moved around the fleet. It currently hangs on the Crux. Holds a tube, two Co2, inflator, patches & glue, tire boot, multi-tool (Park IB-3 shown).

Likes For rjones28:
Old 09-13-22, 03:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
Sunday meet with the Coupe Cartel:

Bunch of clowns with their cars.
Old 09-13-22, 03:20 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Is it gilet season yet??
If you're setting out early, yeah, I think so. I left home at 9am, though, and it was ~60°, so just my typical (non-thermal) LS jersey.
Old 09-13-22, 03:45 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Don't like seat bags?
How about a fanny pack?
I'm not happy with my current seat bag either. But not unhappy enough to actually look for something else. Vanity is at the bottom of the list of criteria. That's just me.
I have the great good fortune of simply moving the entire seatpost from bike to bike.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 09-13-22 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 03:46 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Actually the only prescription is a look at the Awesome Marigold Jacket. It's been too long
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 09-13-22, 03:52 PM
seedsbelize2

It's raining.
Old 09-13-22, 03:58 PM
seedsbelize2

Ever get that craving for another cup of coffee, but you just don't have the time to go through all those shenanigans? You can savor that great flavor all the while you're getting things done around the shop. Just a little pinch between the cheek and gum. No need for spitting; just swallow that full, rich flavor.

With the new robusta regime, I'm drinking only the one cup, in the morning. Most days I don't get the craving, but occasionally I do. This is a habit I had back in my Ohio days, and Belize. Not much since.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 09-13-22 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 04:13 PM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
And yet I'm going to try NOT to fall.
Fall back to the mid 80s, it's great!
Likes For big john:
Old 09-13-22, 04:29 PM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
So we're riding up a shallow grade into a minor headwind and I'm bending my friend's ear about something and he starts getting wobbly and has to stop for a couple minutes. It was a little scary, he said he could see a bright spot as if he was looking at the sun. Eventually we got going again and he was fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.