Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Great American Rail-Trail

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Great American Rail-Trail

Old 09-26-22, 09:05 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
But they do jump over fences and eat pets that are let out at dusk.[/QUOTE]

See original post.
Old 09-26-22, 01:19 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Rail trail riding is the worst. So boring and same.
Old 09-26-22, 03:12 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
It can tend to be that way and I am not a fan. That said some folks like it and some trails are better than others.
Old 09-26-22, 03:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Trails like the GAP, Mickelson, Olympian and NorPac will likely make you think differently about all trails.

East slope of NorPac.

Hiawatha.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-26-22 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-26-22, 05:51 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
This is interesting. Wonder if the TAT set up for motorcycles would be a good route for bike packing.

Other alternative could be a semi organized route for each state of roads less traveled.

When I retire in a year or so I want to do the TAT on motorcycle but bicycle various rail trails. Bicycle across the US may be a little to much but I’ll wish.
Old 09-27-22, 07:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
When I retire in a year or so I want to do the TAT on motorcycle but bicycle various rail trails. Bicycle across the US may be a little to much but I’ll wish.
Logistics may be simpler if you just bite the bullet and start riding across the country.

OTOH, I've been trying to figure out how to cycle the New River Trail in Virginia. Problem is, it's a day's drive from home. So either I pack lightly and park at one end, cycle to the other, find a motel or B&B, and ride back the next day; enlist a spouse or sibling to pick me up at the other end and shuttle me back; or try to ride 100 miles on gravel in a day. The problem with a shuttle driver is they get nervous if you're late, an ambulance goes by, a thunderstorm comes up, etc.

FWIW, the C&O/GAP may be so popular because the train makes the return trip so easy.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-27-22, 08:41 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Logistics may be simpler if you just bite the bullet and start riding across the country.

OTOH, I've been trying to figure out how to cycle the New River Trail in Virginia. Problem is, it's a day's drive from home. So either I pack lightly and park at one end, cycle to the other, find a motel or B&B, and ride back the next day; enlist a spouse or sibling to pick me up at the other end and shuttle me back; or try to ride 100 miles on gravel in a day. The problem with a shuttle driver is they get nervous if you're late, an ambulance goes by, a thunderstorm comes up, etc.

FWIW, the C&O/GAP may be so popular because the train makes the return trip so easy.
Maybe just set the shuttle first before riding. That is, get someone to help you drop your car at the end and you and your bike at the start. That is probably what I would do. Then there is no worrying whether your shuttle will show up. No worrying for you shuttle if you are late. Just set a generous time expectation about when you are expected home.

To me that makes way more sense than having someone having to hang around at the end.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-27-22 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 10:48 AM
indyfabz

Might have something to do with it, but there are only 5 bike spots on each daily train, and they are often booked well ahead of time during popular months. Also, the westbound schedule is not convenient. Assuming it runs on time, you don’t get to PGH until around midnight.

What has made it easy to incorporate the GAP and C&O into a tour is that the Pennsylvanian service added trainside checked service a couple of years ago. I can ride from my house in Philly less than two miles to the station, arrive in PGH at a decent our, get a motel room a couple of blocks away and strat riding early the next morning. Started a cross-PA tour using the GAP that way two years ago.

If I wanted to, I could continue on the C&O to DC and catch the Vermonter (roll-on service) home.
Old 09-27-22, 02:43 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Maybe just set the shuttle first before riding. That is, get someone to help you drop your car at the end and you and your bike at the start. That is probably what I would do. Then there is no worrying whether your shuttle will show up. No worrying for you shuttle if you are late. Just set a generous time expectation about when you are expected home.

To me that makes way more sense than having someone having to hang around at the end.
Well, that might help a bit. But for the idea of riding rail-trails across the country, and shuttling between those trails, that seems like a minor gain at best. Seems like you'd substitute setting up a shuttle for every rail-trail more than 10-15 miles long for the "waiting for Godot" shuttle problem.
Old 09-27-22, 02:51 PM
staehpj1

Well, that might help a bit. But for the idea of riding rail-trails across the country, and shuttling between those trails, that seems like a minor gain at best. Seems like you'd substitute setting up a shuttle for every rail-trail more than 10-15 miles long for the "waiting for Godot" shuttle problem.
Yeah I was only suggesting it for rides where a shuttle made sense. I can't imagine doing that across the country, but I do recall a guy said he was going to do something like that. I thoght it a nutty idea.
Old 09-29-22, 11:15 AM
MixedRider

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The Rail Trail concept is great. I attempted to ride the route from Seattle to Montana this summer, however, had to abort due to wildfires and smoke after only 3 nights on the trail (Seattle to the Columbia River). Woke up to extreme bad AQI and forecast in Idaho the next week did not look favorable for smoke either.

When planning my trip, i spent most of my time trying to figure out the routes where there is a "gap" in the trail. I am already looking at my calendar for next year trying to figure out the best time to attempt the journey again.
Old 09-29-22, 02:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MixedRider

When planning my trip, i spent most of my time trying to figure out the routes where there is a "gap" in the trail. I am already looking at my calendar for next year trying to figure out the best time to attempt the journey again.
If you plan to go as far as Missoula send me a PM. I’ve ridden the CdA between Wallace, ID and its eastern end in Mullan, the east slop of the NorPac Trail from from Taft, MT up to Lookout Pass, and some of the Olympian Trail west of St. Regis, MT. I started in Missoula and went west, but I can give you some ideas, especially with the routing between St. Regis and Missoula.
Old 09-29-22, 05:12 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts

I road an up and back on about 20 miles of the New River Trail from Pulaski last Fall. I took my mountain bike with cushy tires. It is 57 miles of State Park. There are three places to camp. I was thinking about camping at one and do an out an back in both directions. May be two nights and try and doo the entire tail in one day. Or just spread out to two days. No need for a shuttle. I'm just a little confused about if overnight parking and if it is allowed at the ends. There is also a park fee. Other option is parking at an outfitter at the south end and do an up and back with camping. THere also may be public overnight parking in Pulaski at the North end.

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-p...ew-river-trail

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-p...cabins_camping
Old 10-08-22, 08:01 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Our family enjoyed the Creeper Trail from White Top to Galax. Plus, the little town with a nice short order restaurant was very pleasant.
Old 10-08-22, 03:18 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by MixedRider
The Rail Trail concept is great. I attempted to ride the route from Seattle to Montana this summer, however, had to abort due to wildfires and smoke after only 3 nights on the trail (Seattle to the Columbia River). Woke up to extreme bad AQI and forecast in Idaho the next week did not look favorable for smoke either.
Life's crazy sometimes, especially when they put forest fires in your way. 🙄😉
I was up in Seattle at the end of last year, and it was uncommonly wet, even for Seattle. It was really tough finding a decent place to camp. 😟
The snow for Christmas was nice, but they shut down the whole city, for about a week. All that water UNDER the snow froze up, making it kinda tough to get around. 🙄
Between the weather, and way too much construction work, all over, and just general growing pains, I had to get back out of there. 😉
I'm still not sure why I ended up in Sacramento, but it was right on time for the major drought to continue, with record high temps. I guess I jumped out of the frying pan, right into the fire. 🙄😁😉

This winter should be pretty decent, though. 😎