Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Colnago Team Bike ca. 1993 with Columbus EL - What IS this??

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago Team Bike ca. 1993 with Columbus EL - What IS this??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 05:48 AM
Horochar

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Elkhorn, 1986 Faggin Tre Tubi, 1991 Miyata Alumicross, 1992 Merlin Road Titanium, 1993 Giant Cadex CFR-3, 2003 Tomac Buckshot Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Ask him if he kept the fork?

It depends on where the bike is located but I don't think you should pay much more than $1000. Not just because of the missing fork, but, in general, vintage bike prices are way down compared to a few years ago.

If the seller wants a lot more, walk, you can do better for $1000.
I appreciate your opinion. I am NOT saying this sarcastically. I wanted as many opinions as possible, based ideally on actual experience. Obviously I hope yours is wrong. I believe it is. I have been offered $500 for the wheels alone. By a bike shop that would be buying them to re-sell online (implication being they’re worth at least double).
Old 05-07-18, 09:49 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I would take them up on their offer since I don't really like tubulars much.

Did you buy the bike?
Old 09-20-22, 09:16 PM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
I am resurrecting this thread as I think 'think' I have also found a Colnago Element for sale. My only problem, I wanted to go pure Italian and I found a catalogue page that states some of these Colnago's came with Tange Prestige tubing and not Columbus. The seller must have removed the decal, because it is not on the downtube anymore. The ad states "Is a high quality frame with Tange prestige competition tubes". However the seat stays in the catalogue do not match the bike (painted vs chrome) and I have not been able to find any Elegants with the pink hues in the clover on the top tube. Obviously the bike is very dirty, is not photographed well, has mismatched tires, and generally needs a good cleaning... what do you all think?

Old 09-21-22, 10:29 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by ericlowney
I am resurrecting this thread as I think 'think' I have also found a Colnago Element for sale. My only problem, I wanted to go pure Italian and I found a catalogue page that states some of these Colnago's came with Tange Prestige tubing and not Columbus. The seller must have removed the decal, because it is not on the downtube anymore. The ad states "Is a high quality frame with Tange prestige competition tubes". However the seat stays in the catalogue do not match the bike (painted vs chrome) and I have not been able to find any Elegants with the pink hues in the clover on the top tube. Obviously the bike is very dirty, is not photographed well, has mismatched tires, and generally needs a good cleaning... what do you all think?

Whoever put those tires, that saddle and pedals on that fine bicycle should have their hands cut off (not literally -- but does make one scratch their head)
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-21-22, 10:36 AM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by DMC707
Whoever put those tires, that saddle and pedals on that fine bicycle should have their hands cut off (not literally -- but does make one scratch their head)
haha, agreed! A part of me wants to buy it just to rescue it, ride it a little, and then sell it
Old 09-21-22, 11:11 AM
DMC707

haha, agreed! A part of me wants to buy it just to rescue it, ride it a little, and then sell it

It is a wonderful bike - and those issues are easily rectified ! ---- With the seat slammed like that, it goes without saying you'd need to make sure the post moves though

I actually like yours better than the bike that started this thread 4 years ago due to the fork and period correct wheels (if the wheels have the Chorus hubset ) . I dont care what the original OP thought, -- a threadless fork setup and deep dish carbon wheels were not era correct for 1993
Old 09-21-22, 12:20 PM
ericlowney 

It is a wonderful bike - and those issues are easily rectified ! ---- With the seat slammed like that, it goes without saying you'd need to make sure the post moves though

I actually like yours better than the bike that started this thread 4 years ago due to the fork and period correct wheels (if the wheels have the Chorus hubset ) . I dont care what the original OP thought, -- a threadless fork setup and deep dish carbon wheels were not era correct for 1993
Well at least with that one you know what tubing you are getting. Columbus vs Tange. FWIW the seller is asking $750 as it has sat for 3 weeks. Needs tires, saddle, pedals, thorough cleaning, polishing/repairing of chrome, and probably a full tune-up/service. I don’t think I would pay $750 for it, but that’s partly because it’s at the smaller end of my size range and may need to unload it
Old 09-21-22, 12:37 PM
DMC707

Well at least with that one you know what tubing you are getting. Columbus vs Tange. FWIW the seller is asking $750 as it has sat for 3 weeks. Needs tires, saddle, pedals, thorough cleaning, polishing/repairing of chrome, and probably a full tune-up/service. I don’t think I would pay $750 for it, but that’s partly because it’s at the smaller end of my size range and may need to unload it

$750 !!!!

LOL -- if this bike were a 53 or 54 and not a 56/57 i'd be trying to get help expediting that --- I also dont need much excuse to get away for a week to Florida --- what a great find and i wish it were your size --

However, i kinda feel the way you do - i appreciate seeing a deal, but alas if its the wrong size, we just have to sigh and move on unless its a true giveaway price
Old 09-21-22, 12:50 PM
ericlowney 

$750 !!!!

LOL -- if this bike were a 53 or 54 and not a 56/57 i'd be trying to get help expediting that --- I also dont need much excuse to get away for a week to Florida --- what a great find and i wish it were your size --

However, i kinda feel the way you do - i appreciate seeing a deal, but alas if its the wrong size, we just have to sigh and move on unless its a true giveaway price
He actually has it measured as a 59, which according to some friends and sources "should" fit me, but my Dawes Galaxy touring bike I'm currently riding is a 24.5" / 62cm so it's kind of a gamble of if it fits. It's about 90 minutes away so I'll probably check it out and see if I can adjust the seat and ride it around the block to get a quick feel for it. That's not a great test, because I probably really need like 25-30 miles to see if it could is uncomfortable, but that's what I mean about if I can get it for a good enough price, hopefully I could get out of it if that happens (and I can't mitigate the comfort with a different stem, saddle adjustment, etc.)
Old 09-22-22, 01:36 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Unfortunately for me, my Colnago is a bit short at 56.5 ctc. 58-60 is my ideal size. To make the Colnago work, I use a Professional Pro saddle which has an elevated saddle to rail dimension.. It still is a great ride.
P1040500 on Flickr
Old 09-22-22, 05:35 PM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by SJX426
Unfortunately for me, my Colnago is a bit short at 56.5 ctc. 58-60 is my ideal size. To make the Colnago work, I use a Professional Pro saddle which has an elevated saddle to rail dimension.. It still is a great ride.
P1040500 on Flickr
Ah that’s a good idea - if I end up buying it I may look into different saddles/heights
Old 09-22-22, 08:19 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Be forewarned that the saddle must be comfortable! I have one Pro that has been with me since 1972.
Old 09-22-22, 09:01 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
My Colnago is nice. It's not the greatest riding bike I've ridden (that would be my Concorde Aquila that got killed when I got hit last year - though I have hopes for my Merckx Ti EX once I get it dialed in), but you'll probably not be able to pry it from my cold dead hand because it's just so darned pretty. Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible rider, rides pretty good, actually, but I just don't feel "at one" with it. Could be the wheels or contact points, but I can't do a direct swap with those that got wrecked. Still, it's just so pretty. It's been my trainer bike (because that's where I spend most of my time), but I'm building up the new bike to replace it on the trainer so my Colnago can be my outdoor ride because I don't want to ruin it with my corrosive sweat. That's the thing about bikes that pretty, I get weird about riding them because I don't want to ruin them.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-25-22, 06:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts

What is the spot on the right seatstay?

I've seen those pointy lugs before, although I don't think I've encountered the "Elegant" model.

Are all the main tubes (toptube, downtube, seattube) on the frame round, or are they some other shape?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-25-22, 07:30 PM
ericlowney 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What is the spot on the right seatstay?

I've seen those pointy lugs before, although I don't think I've encountered the "Elegant" model.

Are all the main tubes (toptube, downtube, seattube) on the frame round, or are they some other shape?
They are round, and I really wish I had waited a day to buy it because I didn’t notice that spot on the seat stay and it is a small dent/ding…. I made another thread with some other surprises after getting it home here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...o-elegant.html
Old 09-28-22, 03:29 AM
Nirosha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like this