Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Speaking of accidents….

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Speaking of accidents….

Old 07-03-22, 08:53 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Speaking of accidents….

I never gave much thought to the barriers placed on MUPs to prevent cars, 4-wheelers, etc, other than to avoid them. I only (before yesterday) knew 2 who’d hit them, both were OK and very much aware of them. My groups call them out constantly as part of the routine, etiquette, etc.

Yesterday, my huge group of three did our 57 and beat the rain. One of my other groups got caught in the rain, affecting their vision, requiring their concentration, and so the callout priority suffered. Up ahead was barrier. As such, the leader didn’t call it, #2 narrowly missed it, and #3 caught just the pedal.

That pedal strike broke the 2022 Emonda in half, instant folder. No broken bones. Helmet cracked. Of course, the #4 was up and over, and as often occurs, more injured, but released under concussion protocol, contusions, lacerations. Helmet destroyed.

The combination of low visibility, lack of callout, and the accordion at choke points was injurious.

(The sad irony is that part of this group was mowed down from behind 6 weeks ago at a stoplight, with one still out from having her hip snapped off in the socket. Her partner had the pedal strike, so they are down $15,000 in bikes and $100,000+ in meds in 6 weeks. This is one reason for more path riding.)

I somehow think the injury to #3 may have been worse on steel, without the frame snap, but I don’t know. Maybe that’s the only C&V angle.

So, your experiences with paths, barriers, etc?

And what are your thoughts on hitting a barrier with just a pedal on a steel bike?
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 07-03-22, 09:49 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 425 Posts
Was this one of those single steel posts set in the middle of the MUP? I hate those things, and I ride alone. Between pedestrians, watching for traffic at the road crossing where they are invariably located, and often riding after dark, there are times I get closer than I like.

Sorry to hear about all the injuries. Hope there are no long-term disabilities.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 07-03-22, 10:00 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
I doubt there are statistics (or maybe there are?), but it does make you wonder if those bollards are causing more injuries than they are preventing by keeping motor vehicles off of the path.

I haven't hit the bollards myself, but have thought about how much it would hurt if you did when riding at significant speed.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-03-22, 11:06 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I used to do the car-free thing and used a plastic-bottomed Burley trailer for grocery runs. I was always terrified of snagging it on something like that.
Old 07-03-22, 11:30 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
A co-worker had a too-close encounter with a bollard on a bike path last fall. She was on her new commuter bike, which she was very proud of. Broke her wrist and I don’t think she’s been back on the bike since.
Old 07-03-22, 12:03 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
It really doesn't take much to cause an accident. On a mid week run last week, I was plodding along doing a few laps on a track. There was a LAX or soccer frame net in the middle lanes. I was running the middle lanes and going around the frame. On the 3rd lap my phone vibrated about 20 yards from the frame. I started walking and unlocking the phone. You know where this is headed. Next thing I know something is beaning me in the forehead. Hit that thing square. One step to either side and I would have missed it. Luckily, I had a billed cap on that softened the blow. More importantly, there wasn't anyone else doing laps to film it and make me an internet celebrity.

You have to do all you can to put yourself in safe situations. Even that might not be enough.
Old 07-03-22, 01:17 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
In my experience MUPs are more dangerous than they look - lots of blind corners, sand in corners and other surprises. I still use MUPs a lot, but in some ways I feel safer on roads with their superior engineering and maintenance.
Old 07-03-22, 01:31 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Hey, wait a minute, when were we speaking of accidents? 🤪😁 I hate those poles too, but not as much as getting hit by cars. I just got knocked down a couple days ago, again, by an idiot driver who doesn't bother looking at where they're going. 🙄 Just a long look left, to check traffic from there, then a rolling California stop, turning to the right, with no clue if an old lady or young child (or both) might be crossing the road. It's a darn good thing I won't let myself carry a gun. 🙃🤨😉

Be careful, everyone. ✌️
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-03-22, 02:13 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 225 Posts
The bollards to keep cars out of pathways make sense to me in a world where all road rules now seem 'flexible.' And the pandemic has really obliterated already distracted attention spans. People just don't pay attention. The bollards on our local pathway are wood with a reflector, not very good for bikes. Other paths have bollards but in grey, not bright yellow as they should be. Even that does not always help. Last month I hit a speed bump, bright yellow, and expected to go over it. I was at just enough of an angle that it deflected the front wheel and down I went. No broken bones but a nice should sprain and contusions everywhere. Ego was horribly abused as well.

There is no perfect answer for safety, even if everyone is alert. Since I am rather ancient, I remember PSA's from the late 60's and early 70's. "Don't be dead right" was the theme, meaning look and listen on a bike or as a pedestrian. Having the legal right of way means nothing to a distracted driver or brainless bollard
Old 07-03-22, 02:24 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Here is one of the more bizarre PSA's ever done. Dang
Old 07-03-22, 02:32 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
On the trail near me, they have removed all the bollards at the road crossings. I don't know if it was to make it easier for park rangers and maintenance vehicles to access, or due to complaints from trail users over accidents and near misses.
Old 07-03-22, 02:57 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
About 15 years ago a group of us on our usual at that time Saturday morning ride encountered the usual placement of the bollards and we all went around them except one who was not paying attention and ran straight into one, the middle one of the three. Fortunately it was not a carbon frame as it no doubt would have failed. The frame was steel and it simply bent the fork, but not the top or down tubes.

I no longer ride any MUP unless there is no alternative which is unlikely. Between dogs, walkers/runners, and people riding way to fast on the MUP, I find that environment unsafe, and find it easier to deal with motor vehicles.
Old 07-03-22, 03:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...I hate the bollards as well, but I hate drunks driving on the MUP more. This guy drove right past me. I was lucky enough to dodge off the trail. I'd like to say it was quick reflexes, but it was more dumb luck.

Bicyclist Dies After Being Hit By Alleged DUI Driver On American River Parkway In Sacramento Last Month

Old 07-03-22, 04:13 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Too bad the bollards aren't smart enough to stop the modern knobby-tire electric bikes.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-03-22, 06:07 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Hit a nice short one, a base with the pole removed, endo'd and nearly cut the end of my thumb off. I can only assume it ended up in my front wheel/spokes while I was going over.

Fortunately, a fellow (my Guardian Angel that day - God watches over us fools) was at his diesel shop just off the trail on his day off and drove me the 50 or so miles to the nearest hospital, and my thumb lives on.

The bike suffered bent top and down tubes and the frame is now a stool. Steel is recyclable.
Old 07-03-22, 06:16 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I hate the bollards as well, but I hate drunks driving on the MUP more.
This... Unfortunately the bollards exist because those that lack the sense to keep motor vehicles off of MUPs are not deterred by most other means.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-03-22, 07:49 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Here is one of the more bizarre PSA's ever done. Dang https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VD0kEy6-sg
Geeze, that was hard to watch. 😟

I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you can carry everyone else's lunch? 🤨😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-03-22, 07:51 PM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by stardognine
Geeze, that was hard to watch. 😟

I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you can carry everyone else's lunch? 🤨😁
Yeah, pretty crazy! That is what I grew up on . Sorry to say, propaganda was alive and well. Other stuff from the time was FAR worse
Old 07-03-22, 07:56 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I hate the bollards as well, but I hate drunks driving on the MUP more. This guy drove right past me. I was lucky enough to dodge off the trail. I'd like to say it was quick reflexes, but it was more dumb luck.

Bicyclist Dies After Being Hit By Alleged DUI Driver On American River Parkway In Sacramento Last Month

You tricked me, that was last year. I wondered why I never heard about it. 🤔 Still plenty of idjits in cars around, though, some with alcohol and/or drugs. 😟

I'll say it again, be careful, everyone.
Old 07-03-22, 09:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I just rode the Banks-Vernonia Trail today with about a dozen Forumites. Out and back for 40 miles. Trail is good. Almost no bollards and in general, well thought out. I also rode 64 miles today to get to Banks and back, all on public roads, most of which had no shoulder.

When it comes to likelihood of a emergency room worthy crash, far less likely on the road. I felt much safer today riding solo to and from the ride. I've had two crashes with other bikes, cars or pedestrians that have sent me to the hospital in around 150,000 miles of road riding. I had a couple of closer than I like today on that trail.

Now this was the 4th of July Sunday. Trail traffic was a little heavier and road traffic considerably less. There are paths in Portland I ride because the roads have no provision for bikes, I believe sometimes because of that trail.
Old 07-04-22, 01:02 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Do people do fast pacelines on MUP's? I've never heard of that.
Old 07-04-22, 04:06 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Do people do fast pacelines on MUP's? I've never heard of that.
I rode a nice riverside trail Saturday. I saw a peloton taking the north and south lanes as well as many others riding too fast IMHO for a congested area.

Old 07-04-22, 05:46 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
My daughter hit one once when she was learning her new "gear" bike. Low speed she was fine.
Around here (where they haven't been removed) they are only at street crossings where you should be slowing down to check traffic anyway.
One thing I have noticed is on the trail behind my house where they have been removed it has become a stretch of frequent illegal dumping. Everything from construction debris to TVs.
Old 07-04-22, 07:08 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
I dislike them too. I use to commute, minimum 11 miles one way, on the Mt Vernon trail that is next to the George Washingtin Pkwy. Park Police patrolled as it is a Federal road. The bollards are at road crossings. The MUP is the only way to ride on the Pkwy as bicycles are not allowed on the road. The curb is the lane marker. The Pkwy is more of a major commute road even though it is marked with 40 max MPH where the drivers totally ignore the speed limit with up to 60 mph. Park Service tickets are always paid in full!
Those intersections are a problem on weekends because next to the MUP is the Potomac River and lots of recreational parks. People coming the opposite way often go across the line to go around the bollard leaving no room for you. Sometimes they are indecisive about which side they are going to go around. Add earbuds to the mix and ....

They should not be steel or wood but flexible plastic that will bend in both directions. I know it is easier for a vehicle to run over it, but that is the point. The safety of the pedestrian should be taken into account. It is a Multi Use Path, not a sidewalk.

The speed limit of the MUP is 15mph. With tree roots and other challenge, pace lines do not make sense. Speed is not a good thing on a MUP with others.
Old 07-04-22, 07:15 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
I was on a rail trail yesterday and each time the trail came to a road, there were 2 of them which just allowed a cyclist to pass through but I slowed right down to squeeze my riser bars through them. Would definitely not want to hit one of them as I was passing by.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.