Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newest pickup - 67 Atala - correct decals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 09:28 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts

I found on the web that smontanaro has had one of these pass thru his hands.
If the first 2 digits are the year then this is a 1967 Model Competizione, the oldest bike in my shop.
Though the NR rear derailleur has a '71 date, and the FD is a concurrent pre-circlip type.
Also came with Universal 61 calipers, so he had this more kitted out like the Record model.
Came with crushed dropouts, but they appear to be OK after straightening. Time will tell I guess.

What are the correct style of decals for this model and date? All of the web images I found looked like either repaints, or like mine, original paint and gone decals.
I've seen block & cursive, but on the images where there are very faint remnants, it appears to be a very "rounded" style.

72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 07-04-22, 09:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts

...probably there are more authoritative opinions than mine here, but they used this style for a long time.
Old 07-05-22, 04:08 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Ex Pres I believe this is the correct font for the downtube decal (nicked from Greg Softley's cyclomondo.net site). YMMV for the other bits. I believe your frame would have a head badge so the decal there would be unnecessary, and the stylized diamond foil is for the Super Pro.

Last edited by smontanaro; 07-05-22 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Dang autocorrect!
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 07-05-22, 06:12 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Packers.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 07-05-22, 02:42 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

interesting to note that the junction betwixt paint and chrome on the taper tubes is straight

on many of this model from this era there is a "vee" shape

Rizzato seemed to go back and forth between the two designs

lug pattern: Prugnat 62/d

frame size in inches will be marked in two places on the underside of the shell

this livery employed at least through the 1972 model year

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-06-22 at 02:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-05-22, 02:55 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
This is my 1969 Atala Professional, complete with original decals. At one time, I had an Atala that was identical to the OP's frame/fork set. Though not positive, I am pretty sure that the art on my 1969 Pro would match the OP's bike. That said, it has been many years since I researched my Atala. What I did learn then was that the Pro sported chrome head tube and seat tube lugs. The OP's does not show the chromed seat tube lug, so it is likely that it is a model below the Professional Anyway, my guess is that the decals are still similar, if not identical...

Old 07-05-22, 03:27 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
This is my 1969 Atala Professional, complete with original decals. At one time, I had an Atala that was identical to the OP's frame/fork set. Though not positive, I am pretty sure that the art on my 1969 Pro would match the OP's bike. That said, it has been many years since I researched my Atala. What I did learn then was that the Pro sported chrome head tube and seat tube lugs. The OP's does not show the chromed seat tube lug, so it is likely that it is a model below the Professional Anyway, my guess is that the decals are still similar, if not identical...

lovely.