Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike gear issue.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike gear issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 05:15 PM
Madjik

Bikes: PEXMOR Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike gear issue.

(Before I start, I just wanna say I'm %100 new to this forum and not some serious dedicated biker like some of yall, although I do use my bike almost daily to get to my school. Please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Also feel free to ask me for more details about parts that I may have not provided enough.)

I own a Pexmor Outdoor Cycling Road Bike (creative naming ik) and lately I have had issues with my gear system. It has 3 different speeds on one end and I think 5 or so on the other. The problem is that on the left (the one with 3 gears). If I have it on 1 it goes into the state that you would normally feel for a second if you were switching gears, except it does not stop and continues to make the rattling. If you increase it to 2 it will lock in (this is why I keep it on 2), except there is still a faint rattling noise that goes with it. If you increase it to 3 it will make the gear feel like it fell off (so no pedaling works.) but you can still switch it to 2 and it will work again. Whenever I switch I never see any movement by the front gears and they all stay in the middle. Here's the confusing bit: if you switch from 1 to 2 it feels like how 2 should feel like... but if you switch from 3 to 2, it feels like how 3 should feel like. Another thing is that sometimes it will randomly lock in somehow on 2 (this is several minutes after I start riding) but it always scares the heck out of me when it happens.

I'm looking for some kind of help because I don't know much about my bike and how to fix it so I'm a complete noob on this stuff.
Old 08-29-22, 05:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What does the chain actually do? When you say it feels like it fell off, does it actually fall off?
Old 08-29-22, 05:40 PM
Madjik

Bikes: PEXMOR Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
What does the chain actually do? When you say it feels like it fell off, does it actually fall off?
No, it just feels like it did, the chain is actually still in place.
Old 08-29-22, 06:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
This could be something as simple as a derailleur adjustment issue, but it's difficult to diagnose remotely. Can you take the bike to a shop where they can investigate?
Old 08-29-22, 07:06 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
I tried to find some info on your bike. Does this look like your bike?

Says it's a 27spd (3x9). My guess is it needs simple adjustments to the front Derailleur. If you're not willing to tackle this after watching Utube vids, find a friend with some simple tools, or take it into a bike shop. It's nothing serious, just tweaking. Good luck,
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 08-29-22, 08:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The bike probably was never properly built and tuned and with daily usage are probably in rougher shape than they came from the factory which probably wasn't great. I would take it to your local shop and have them assess it.

Commuting daily is hard on a bike and is certainly qualifies one to be a serious dedicated biker.
Old 08-29-22, 08:50 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The bike probably was never properly built and tuned and with daily usage are probably in rougher shape than they came from the factory which probably wasn't
Yup, front derailleur is out of adjustment, and operator inexperience. The chain is riding on the guard when shifted to the large ring. See this quite a bit.
OP, ride it on 2 until you have it looked at.