Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

frame Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

frame Identification

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 05:30 PM
cirp 

Bikes: Univega Super Speciale, Super Strada, Cannondale Caad6 R4000 si, Team Miyatas, Bridgestone RB1,Lotus Cinelli Design Triomphe, Unidentified 60's/70's road bike 1960 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
frame Identification

I had a viewer on my website send me a few pictures of this frameset and he wanted to know what company built it. The serial number is NP7040016 and appears to be a chrome frame. The serial number format is exactly
like my Nishiki ONP and certain parts of the frame our just like the ONP. The brake bridge is the same and the headset is carved the same. The unique differences are the bottom bracket has a "K" cutout and mine has
a "N" cutout. The cable guides are on top of the bottom bracket on both bike except, his are brazed on and mine are clipped/screwed on. Both appear to be built in 1977 but why they would have these differences is beyond me.
I will attempt to attach what images I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Las Vegas, NV
Likes For cirp:
Old 06-30-21, 06:12 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Kawamura manufactured Nishiki Professional. I've seen chrome plated foreign market models.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-04-21, 06:34 PM
cirp 

Bikes: Univega Super Speciale, Super Strada, Cannondale Caad6 R4000 si, Team Miyatas, Bridgestone RB1,Lotus Cinelli Design Triomphe, Unidentified 60's/70's road bike 1960 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Kawamura manufactured Nishiki Professional. I've seen chrome plated foreign market models.
So, not an ONP but a Professional. Did they give the Professional the same serial number format as the ONP?
Thanks T-Mar
Old 07-05-21, 06:28 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by cirp
So, not an ONP but a Professional. Did they give the Professional the same serial number format as the ONP?
Thanks T-Mar
ONP (Order Nishiki Professional) was an acronym used only in marketing the frames in the USA, to distinguish it from the earlier version of the Pro-Professional and convey greater prestige. The frames themselves used a generic "Nishiki Pro" decal. Also, since the USA framesets were only offered in champagne, the chrome plating suggests a foreign market model, where they appear to have been marketed as Nishiki Pro/Professional. The serial number format does indicate that it came out of the Kawamura's limited volume, high end shop.