Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

50 Years Ago: August 1971 in Bicycling! magazine

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-07-21, 02:46 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 983 Posts

Included articles are:
"Moultons in the Lava"
"Our Man in the Sky"
"1971 Tour of California Road Race announcement"
"Book Review: Anybody's Bike Book"

Articles about Major Taylor and TOSRV will be posted separately later.

As usual, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.
If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 08-07-21, 02:59 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
Chuck Harris was selling weightless helmet mirrors back in those day?
What happened to the "weightless" feature? The mirrors that Chuck made for me definitely weigh something,. about what you'd expect for a spoke and a little piece of glass.

Also, interesting that the issue was only 27 pages or so. My July 1975 issue is 80 pages. The magazine improved quite a bit in that period!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-07-21, 03:24 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Chuck Harris was selling weightless helmet mirrors back in those day?
What happened to the "weightless" feature? The mirrors that Chuck made for me definitely weigh something,. about what you'd expect for a spoke and a little piece of glass.

Also, interesting that the issue was only 27 pages or so. My July 1975 issue is 80 pages. The magazine improved quite a bit in that period!

Steve in Peoria
Ha! It was the rear view that was weightless.
I've often thought about measuring the area of advertising relative to the area of content over the years, possibly starting with 2-3 issues a year at mid-year.
Then I sit back and have a beer until that thought goes away.

Old 08-07-21, 04:53 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Ha! It was the rear view that was weightless.
I've often thought about measuring the area of advertising relative to the area of content over the years, possibly starting with 2-3 issues a year at mid-year.
Then I sit back and have a beer until that thought goes away.
well, Chuck must have reconsidered the claim, because my old copies of his literature refer to it as the Ultra-Light mirror. Of course, he also called his business the Ultra-Light Touring Shop.

As far as the ratio between actual content and advertising... I'd say that the early to mid 80's might have been the transition point for Bicycling. My issues from the mid 70's have about 100 pages, with not too many ads. The March 1982 issue has an editorial from James McCullagh which welcomes the reader to the new Bicycling magazine. This issue has about 170 pages, and these include quite a lot of ads! Not sure how much it matters, unless you were the mail carrier who had to lug these hefty magazines around.

Some of the ads were ones I enjoyed, such as some of the mail order houses. I've owned more than a few of the items shown in this Bikecology advertisement..

I still own the Belt Beacon light, some SunTour Superbe quill pedals, and Zefal HP pump.
Amazing to think that this one place could also sell me a Colnago, De Rosa, Guerciotti, Bob Jackson, Mercian, or Jack Taylor frame!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-07-21, 10:16 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,030 Posts
. . . Also, interesting that the issue was only 27 pages or so. My July 1975 issue is 80 pages. The magazine improved quite a bit in that period!

Steve in Peoria
Well, it certainly got bigger in the intervening four years. Better? That, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I looooved seeing the letter from Peter Rich hawking the Tour of California. This was a couple years before I got into the sport, but when I did, the ToC was legendary in my neck of the woods (Livermore CA) and Peter Rich's Velo Sport was one of the handful of top-drawer go-to shops in the Bay Area. The word on the street was that Rich nearly went broke putting on the race. He never tried to do it again and nothing remotely like it existed until the SF Grand Prix one day pro race came around for a few years on the 2000s (killed by local back-handed politics - it's a pretty shady story) and then the Amgen ToC (apparently to be no more).

It was also fun to see mention of a 10 mile record set by Nicola Farac-Ban, the "Bike Barb" of Bay Area cycling notoriety. I never met him, but I heard some of the stories second and third hand. If they were 50% true, he was quite a character (and a very talented racer).

As always, thanks, @SpeedofLite. Seeing these old mags is always a big treat.
Old 08-08-21, 01:01 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
The brief article about the traffic reporter commuting was really cool. Nice 3 speed!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-08-21, 07:21 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
sooo cool..

This is soo cool, thank you very much for putting it out there.
Old 08-08-21, 07:31 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I think that I first subscribed to Bicycling magazine in 1977, 78, .. ? Somewhere in that neighborhood. I kept stacks of my old mags for years. At some point in time, I got rid of them. I am so glad that someone had the foresight to keep them.
Old 08-08-21, 08:25 AM
SpeedofLite 

Originally Posted by bowwow
I think that I first subscribed to Bicycling magazine in 1977, 78, .. ? Somewhere in that neighborhood. I kept stacks of my old mags for years. At some point in time, I got rid of them. I am so glad that someone had the foresight to keep them.
Ha! Yeah, or in my case, buy them from those folks who did!
Who knows, I might have some of yours.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 08-08-21, 09:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The bike boom is coming...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-08-21, 10:47 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
What happened to page 10 - "The Faces of TOSRV"? Being a TOSRV veteran myself, I would like to read that article.
Old 08-08-21, 11:09 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Well, it certainly got bigger in the intervening four years. Better? That, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I looooved seeing the letter from Peter Rich hawking the Tour of California. This was a couple years before I got into the sport, but when I did, the ToC was legendary in my neck of the woods (Livermore CA) and Peter Rich's Velo Sport was one of the handful of top-drawer go-to shops in the Bay Area. The word on the street was that Rich nearly went broke putting on the race. He never tried to do it again and nothing remotely like it existed until the SF Grand Prix one day pro race came around for a few years on the 2000s (killed by local back-handed politics - it's a pretty shady story) and then the Amgen ToC (apparently to be no more).

It was also fun to see mention of a 10 mile record set by Nicola Farac-Ban, the "Bike Barb" of Bay Area cycling notoriety. I never met him, but I heard some of the stories second and third hand. If they were 50% true, he was quite a character (and a very talented racer).

I also enjoyed that letter from Peter Rich - partly because of its relevance to our local cycling history and also because my International was originally sold at Peter's shop. I do wish that whoever assembled the bike would have taken the extra half-second or so to put the shop sticker on straight!

Many thanks to SpeedofLite for scanning and posting these old magazines. I really enjoy seeing this material!
Old 08-08-21, 07:38 PM
SpeedofLite 

Originally Posted by masi61
What happened to page 10 - "The Faces of TOSRV"? Being a TOSRV veteran myself, I would like to read that article.
Coming soon.

Old 08-14-21, 08:24 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 65 Posts
vintage Bikecology ad

well, Chuck must have reconsidered the claim, because my old copies of his literature refer to it as the Ultra-Light mirror. Of course, he also called his business the Ultra-Light Touring Shop.

As far as the ratio between actual content and advertising... I'd say that the early to mid 80's might have been the transition point for Bicycling. My issues from the mid 70's have about 100 pages, with not too many ads. The March 1982 issue has an editorial from James McCullagh which welcomes the reader to the new Bicycling magazine. This issue has about 170 pages, and these include quite a lot of ads! Not sure how much it matters, unless you were the mail carrier who had to lug these hefty magazines around.

Some of the ads were ones I enjoyed, such as some of the mail order houses. I've owned more than a few of the items shown in this Bikecology advertisement..

I still own the Belt Beacon light, some SunTour Superbe quill pedals, and Zefal HP pump.the edgeall three edges
Amazing to think that this one place could also sell me a Colnago, De Rosa, Guerciotti, Bob Jackson, Mercian, or Jack Taylor frame!

Steve in Peoria
I clearly remember ordering many items from Bikecology and Bike Warehouse (later became Bike Nashbar) in the late 70s and early 80s. Not many quality bike shops in central Illinois at that time. Vitesse in Normal was new, sold Stellas and Fujis and was to become one of Trek's first dealers. One of my first "dream bikes" was a Bob Jackson frame, red with white panels, that I outfitted with black anodized Shimano Dura Ace (first generation) components, mostly all purchased from Bikecology.

As a side note, I subscribed to Bicycling in 1975 and anxiously awaited every new issue. One of the first things I did each month was to turn to the full page ad from Bike Warehouse. Their trick was to have a bold dotted border running around all outer three edges of the magazine, bleeding off all three edges of the sheet so their page stood out like a sore thumb.

Genious!
Old 08-14-21, 09:03 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by motogeek
I clearly remember ordering many items from Bikecology and Bike Warehouse (later became Bike Nashbar) in the late 70s and early 80s. Not many quality bike shops in central Illinois at that time. Vitesse in Normal was new, sold Stellas and Fujis and was to become one of Trek's first dealers. One of my first "dream bikes" was a Bob Jackson frame, red with white panels, that I outfitted with black anodized Shimano Dura Ace (first generation) components, mostly all purchased from Bikecology.

As a side note, I subscribed to Bicycling in 1975 and anxiously awaited every new issue. One of the first things I did each month was to turn to the full page ad from Bike Warehouse. Their trick was to have a bold dotted border running around all outer three edges of the magazine, bleeding off all three edges of the sheet so their page stood out like a sore thumb.

Genious!
that first generation Dura-Ace really sticks in my memory as being very desirable too! It might be a result of owning a very humble Montgomery Wards 10 speed at the time. The black anodized versions were even more exotic!

The Bike Warehouse ads, as graphically crude as they were, got carefully studied. So much neat stuff that I wanted! The few 1970's issues of Bicycling that I still own have a lot of sentimental value just because I spent so much time with them. Here's the Bike Warehouse ad from the July 1975 issue....

Steve in Peoria
p.s. any plans to come over for the Tanner's Orchard ride in September?
Old 08-14-21, 09:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts

The Bike Barb had a column in Competitive Cycling. When I met him he was on a flesh colored Eisentraut that someone had skillfully painted barbed wire swirling around the tubes.
knew immediately who I was talking to.
about 1974, when Rich Hammond was going well, back from the Milk Race in the UK.
Old 08-14-21, 11:39 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The Bike Barb had a column in Competitive Cycling. When I met him he was on a flesh colored Eisentraut that someone had skillfully painted barbed wire swirling around the tubes.
knew immediately who I was talking to.
about 1974, when Rich Hammond was going well, back from the Milk Race in the UK.
Yes, he sure did. Competitive Cycling was a fun publication. A lot of irreverence and satiric fun went into it, the kind of stuff that HR and Marketing Departments would never see the light of day today.
Old 08-15-21, 03:48 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts

@SpeedofLite. Seeing these old mags is always a big treat.
Interesting history and I sure hope the latest ToC makes a comeback. Need a corp sponsor ...

Id like a copy of the pdf or whatever source of the ToC article to save and possibly print.

@SpeedofLite Thanks for posting these old mag's
Old 08-16-21, 01:00 AM
SpeedofLite 

Originally Posted by joesch
Interesting history and I sure hope the latest ToC makes a comeback. Need a corp sponsor ...

Id like a copy of the pdf or whatever source of the ToC article to save and possibly print.

@SpeedofLite Thanks for posting these old mag's
You're welcome.
Attached is a pdf of the announcement. I cleaned up the edges a bit.

Old 08-16-21, 08:10 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
You're welcome.
Attached is a pdf of the announcement. I cleaned up the edges a bit.
Thanks !
Old 08-16-21, 02:49 PM
SpeedofLite 

Originally Posted by masi61
Coming soon.
I said "soon", but probably not for another 4-6 weeks at which time I'll start a new series of posts -- Tours and Touring -- that will be in chronological order starting from the 1960s.
But because you asked and to keep you from waiting any longer, I've attached "The Faces of TOSRV" below.
I'll still probably include it later as well in Tours and Touring in which there will be quite a few articles about TOSRV over the years.

I like these kinds of articles in which regular folks get their few minutes of fame.
Maybe there's a BF C&V member featured in this one or someone they know!
Attached Files

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 08-16-21, 07:40 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 65 Posts
[I'd like to do the Tanner's ride, but I think 43 miles is a bit out of my comfort zone, particularly climbing up out of the valey.

QUOTE=steelbikeguy;22184860]that first generation Dura-Ace really sticks in my memory as being very desirable too! It might be a result of owning a very humble Montgomery Wards 10 speed at the time. The black anodized versions were even more exotic!

The Bike Warehouse ads, as graphically crude as they were, got carefully studied. So much neat stuff that I wanted! The few 1970's issues of Bicycling that I still own have a lot of sentimental value just because I spent so much time with them. Here's the Bike Warehouse ad from the July 1975 issue....

Steve in Peoria
p.s. any plans to come over for the Tanner's Orchard ride in September?[/QUOTE]