Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 10:50 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam

I'm using this bike as my everyday, everywhere rider ATM and wasn't feeling not having flat-fixing-stuff with us. Too much?

I like it.

Eventually need to get my wife a decent step through.

Taught her how to mount a diamond frame when I saw her trying to step over the TT.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-06-21, 03:24 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
I know that I float this balloon every time I see this bike, though it is the honest truth that this is my favorite bike in our secluded section of this forum... Indeed, so much so, that my casual-fun-runaround-bike now has pink Neubaum's bar tape as a direct result.

The pink saddle bag is insanely dope... It just balances out the entire color scheme that we have going on here. It almost makes the bike feel more 'planted', in that the brightness front and back makes the whole thing more balanced. Methinks it is a benefit, not a detriment.

Though I have to type: It always makes me smile and feel hopeful when I see this bike pop up here...
Thank you - you are way too kind. This thing is a happy accident
Don't forget to post pics of your casual-fun-runaround-bike with pink bartape. When changing time comes for mine - I doubt we will go pink again.

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I like it.

Eventually need to get my wife a decent step through.

Taught her how to mount a diamond frame when I saw her trying to step over the TT.
Thanks. I don't regard step-thrus as strictly ladies' frames but did buy this one to build for my wife so we could "do something together." When she let me know PDQ that she had absolutely no interest in bicycling...it became mine. I already had my "fleet" set and sacriligious as it may be didn't want an additional bike - but it kept hanging around and since lately I'm having trouble getting my leg over my fast-like bikes, has turned out to be what will prolly be my last regular rider bike. Ride safe...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 08-06-21, 03:37 PM
acoustophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 08-06-21, 04:41 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile
Nice patina!

Years ago I took a picture of some badly rusted structural steel at work. Sent pic to my mother in law captioned “Joanna Gaines eat your heart out.”
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-06-21, 05:27 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
That looks way to fast not to have brakes.
Likes For takenreasy:
Old 08-06-21, 05:41 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by takenreasy
That looks way to fast not to have brakes.
It looks deceptively fast but is actually built for puzting around. I'm running 52x19 (~72 gear inches) so it's quick, easy on the knees and can climb hills.
Old 08-06-21, 09:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I can dig patina but no grips at least put some bar end plugs if you like the feel of thin aluminum because the feel of that in your abdomen ain't so fun.
Old 08-08-21, 01:50 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Raleigh Tripper I bought new in 2017 (I think?). Originally bought it because it has a coaster brake. Swapped out the original saddle and pedals. Added a kickstand and couple other small accessories. Recently changed out the original narrow flat bar for the wider riser bar and it made a huge difference. So comfy to ride. Favorite bike I've ever had. Next up are fenders (probably go with PDW) and maybe a rack.

Last edited by rumstove; 08-08-21 at 01:56 PM.
Likes For rumstove:
Old 08-08-21, 08:15 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Updated photo of the RockHopper. I’ve run mainly drop bars since I got this bike about five years ago. Seemed a bit narrow for the steering geometry, so I tried the North Road style bars for most of the last year. That worked pretty well but now I’m using old Scott AT-4’s. The main difference is that the AT-4s give a good bar top climbing grip position.

Otto

Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-08-21, 08:22 PM
SteelyMan

Bikes: Steel is for real!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
I’ve owned my Specialized Hardrock for several years and always wondered how I would like it’s a single speed, but because of the vertical dropouts, never gave it try , until now .
I’m 70 and looking at making a bike that that’s easy pedaling , to “spin” my way around the neighborhood.
I just finished it up today and I’m thinking I’m going to enjoy this one .
With a 30 tooth single chainring and a 21 tooth rear cog , I spin out around 9.5 mph. That’s fast enough for me and it allows me to spin up the hills around here .
I see you left enough slack in your brake cables for some bar spins on the way back from the coffee shop. 👍🏼 👍🏼
BMX bars looking good
Likes For SteelyMan:
Old 08-13-21, 02:22 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Posted my Raleigh Tripper a few posts earlier. About to take my Raleigh One Way for a spin. Flip flop hub is currently at freewheel. Biggest change I've made is swapping the drop bars for risers. Not a huge fan of the Vittoria tires...they seem sluggish compared to the tires on Tripper. Oh, and the bars aren't Fyxation, that's just a sticker.

Likes For rumstove:
Old 08-14-21, 04:12 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
This is so overwhelmingly dope... I love this bike.

(If I'm not mistaken, I 'pinned' an older photo of this bike on Pinterest a few years ago and it is still by far one of most 'repinned' things that I've ever posted there...)
Likes For ethet:
Old 08-15-21, 10:47 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Quick ride this morning. Weather is beautiful in Chicago area. Trying to soak it all in while I'm able. Shoulder injury has limited my mileage lately.

Changed to drop bars and dropped bar level a bit. Feels good. Using dummy lever on off side. Makes it great for distance and hand positions.

Still need moar stickers.
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 08-15-21, 07:12 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 872 Posts
Steamrolled down by the 9/11 Cross. Bunch of homeless are hanging around the parking lot hoping for some churchies to pass out some Sunday food.
Old 08-18-21, 03:12 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Added a handlebar bag to carry my stuff…

Likes For roadfix:
Old 08-23-21, 06:24 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Umm.... almost...

Also I think this is the first ever drive side pic I've ever taken.
It's an... wanna say 85 Nishiki Olympic. The back wheel is a Vuelta Pista, that last week I discovered had aerospokes, 17t cog, front wheel is a State Bike Co wheel from the co-op.

I saw this bike about a week before this quoted post, some guy was riding it on it's original back wheel, sans tire&tube, and a 26" on the front, from some hybrid, I'd guess. My granny was bringing me some stuff and said there was a bike on this side street, checked it out, and dude musta got tired of no brakes and rim riding.

I just picked up a Race Face 48t chainring from the co-op, I thought I was going to be okay with a ⅛chain on the original suigino vp crank, until I test fitted, deciding I can't live with that much side to side slack. Nothing matches, but I don't care. The frame is getting sticker bombed, it's got a gun metal Sora front brake, a Tiagra rear brake that looks mint green, I bought grey pedals for it, the chainring is black... so are the wheels... brake levers. I found the brake cable housing from my Prelude, that's clear. No clue what bar tape, and color rear housing I'm gonna use. Thinking about just using an old innertube for bartape. Feels nice to let loose and not care about fit&finish, matching this and that. Reminds me of my start, when I'd cobble stuff together.
Old 08-23-21, 09:19 PM
Higher Class
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I googled some dumb **** about tires and it brought me to a 10 year old Bikeforums thread that I was active in. Jesus Christ I used to be cringe. I still am, but I used to, too.

In my 30's and still riding fixies lol

Old 08-26-21, 11:15 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
track practice
Old 08-27-21, 08:37 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I bought this Dolan Pre Cursa frameset directly from Dolan in the UK thinking that I would save a lot of money compared to buying it locally. Boy, was I wrong ! Although the frameset cost only $263, I ended up paying over $150 more in shipping and brokerage fees. Also, communication with Dolan was terrible. They would not respond to emails and never gave me any status on the order or tracking information. The only reason why I knew when it would arrive is because I belong to UPS My Choice who gave me a heads up as to the day it would be delivered.

Anyways, I bought it with the road fork option, which has more rake than the track fork and is drilled for a front brake. I built the rear wheel with an IRO (Formula) hub, Velocity Deep V rim and Sapim Laser butted spokes. The front wheel was built by Richard Snook at Wabi with a first generation solid axle nutted hub and second generation narrow rim. The frameset includes an Alpina seatpost, but it did not have enough setback, so I replaced it with a seatpost that was a takeoff from my Bianchi Pista Concept that had too much setback for that bike, but was perfect for the Dolan Pre Cursa. Recent changes include replacement of the stock Andel chainring with a spare Sugino Zen chainring and addition of a Timex Triathlon heart monitor watch on the handlebar. Overall weight minus seat bag and water bottle is 19 lbs.

2013 Dolan Pre Cursa frame with Dolan road fork

Dolan Pre Cursa cockpit

Dolan Pre Cursa drivetrain

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 08-28-21, 01:51 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
track practice
What saddle is that? It looks like a 1990 Flite clone but maybe a hair wider?
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-28-21, 03:22 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
I’ve owned my Specialized Hardrock for several years and always wondered how I would like it’s a single speed, but because of the vertical dropouts, never gave it try , until now .
I’m 70 and looking at making a bike that that’s easy pedaling , to “spin” my way around the neighborhood.
I just finished it up today and I’m thinking I’m going to enjoy this one .
With a 30 tooth single chainring and a 21 tooth rear cog , I spin out around 9.5 mph. That’s fast enough for me and it allows me to spin up the hills around here .
I too have a lower gearing, 32T chain ring and a 23T freewheel. Everywhere I ride is hilly and this gearing works fine for me. I don't need to go too fast down the hills since there's usually a creek at the bottom with a deer crossing. This bike is forcing me to improve my spinning.

The 42mm Conti SpeedRides do a fine job smoothing out our not so smooth county paved roads. And, this bike coasts just as far as my road bikes on my rolling resistance test run.

I'm fooling with my bar and brake positioning so my bar tape is temporary. Well . . . all of my bikes are ongoing projects.

I'm thankful I can still ride.
Fred

Last edited by Blues; 08-29-21 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add photo
Likes For Blues:
Old 08-29-21, 05:20 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

Just finished it! I'll put a brake on as soon as it comes in the mail.
Likes For cyrano138:
Old 09-01-21, 07:26 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138

Just finished it! I'll put a brake on as soon as it comes in the mail.
Another beauty with what appears to be some big gear inches!
Old 09-02-21, 06:28 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
1998 Klein
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 09-02-21, 11:13 AM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by takenreasy
Another beauty with what appears to be some big gear inches!
Thanks! I rode it the other night for the first time and it's amazing. I forgot how much I loved riding fixed gear. I'm not sure what the great inches would be -- I just kept the 52t chainring on the front (removed the smaller one) and put a 14t cog on back since I found myself using the 14t cog most often when I still had the 5spd freewheel on the bike. That's how she goes in flat, flat Florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.