Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

World speed record ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

World speed record ?

Old 09-27-21, 05:25 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
World speed record ?

What is the current speed record for cycling? I’m not talking about drafting behind a vehicle or going down a steep hill or such, but simply pedaling on a flat all out?
Old 09-27-21, 07:00 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Did you try googling it? I did and it came up pretty quickly as one of the first search results. Nevada County, CA isn't too far away from the Nevada location where there's a yearly time trial race where the record will usually get broken (or nearly so).
Likes For skidder:
Old 09-28-21, 08:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
What distance are we talking about. I can probably be faster for a 10 mile ride than I can a 30 mile ride. And if this is only a 3 mile ride, then I could really impress myself.
Old 09-28-21, 08:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm only really interested in UCI recognized records in this kind of case (however much it pains me to side with the UCI).

Once you get into velomobiles and drag racecar drafting on desert salt flats, I'm not really interested any longer. That's more Evil Kneivel than it is anything else.

Fastest would likely be UCI record for track cycling team sprint or the kilo.
Old 09-28-21, 08:47 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I find the hour record (on an indoor track, with specific standards for the kind of equipment allowed) to be particularly interesting.

One thing required by the rules for this record is that the rider cannot see any data during the attempt. No speed, distance, time, etc. They say “go” and start timing, then after one hour they say “you’re done” and note how far you went. You can’t be coached along the way or receive feedback of any kind. So you need a great deal of discipline to manage your pace or effort.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-28-21, 08:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Flying 200 record is 9.100. https://archive.uci.org/docs/default...sn=244fc916_28

77 kph / 47.8 mph

Last edited by caloso; 09-28-21 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-28-21, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Hate to be that guy, but in order to answer the question you have to define what it is you consider cycling. UCI, as burnthesheep mentioned is the recognized authority on bicycling as narrowly defined. The major alternative is the World Human Powered Vehicle Association (WHPVA). They list records for all sorts of human powered vehicles including bicycles at this site: Competition Records - World Human Powered Vehicle Association