Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 09:21 AM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Singles speed mountain bike? Right thread. #props.
Old 09-30-21, 02:10 PM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Old 09-30-21, 04:41 PM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
That is the Nitto B809...

Edit: I should note that I narrowed the bars by about 6cm...
Which B809 is it? There are B809AA and B809Cross.
I assumed it's not just B809 since B809 doesn't fit quill stem, it has 31.8mm diameter wouldn't fit in the 25.4 mm quill stem.
Old 10-01-21, 08:21 AM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by NDL
Which B809 is it?
I apologize; I didn't realize there were so many variations of that handlebar... It is the Nitto B809AA HT (which I narrowed by about 6cm).
Old 10-01-21, 04:55 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Purple People Eater — 2009 Umezawa Keirin

In an attempt to judge the worthiness of utilizing a Japanese shopping service as a mechanism for obtaining inexpensive keirin frames, I went about finding a cheap, beat-up, yet still functional specimen on Japan's Yahoo Auctions as a test of the idea (so as not lose too much love and money on a failed experiment). What arrived was a frame in far better condition than I had imagined or even hoped for—a straight, dent-free frame with a perfectly functional Dura-Ace headset and SG75 bottom bracket—albeit a frame with its fair share of wear and tear.

What was even more unexpected is how much I enjoy riding around on this bike... It was the preconception that this frame would become a beater/foul-weather friend—if it arrived in ridable condition, let alone arriving at all—but instead I've being having a great time with it the past two weeks just as I built it up initially... Although much of it is my love for the wheelset, the toptube length/stem length/bar combination, and the carefree humility of a dinged-up purple bike in Autumn as the falling leaves crunch beneath the tires as they're wheeled along these city streets...

(The coincidence is that I lost two keirin bikes due to frame failure in the time it took for the shopping service to sort everything out and for this friend to finally come here, and I had recently been feeling as if I was going to give up on my love for these things... This humble purple pal has returned a sense of playfulness to the pursuit, and for that I am particularly pleased.)

Old 10-01-21, 06:32 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
In an attempt to judge the worthiness of utilizing a Japanese shopping service as a mechanism for obtaining inexpensive keirin frames, I went about finding a cheap, beat-up, yet still functional specimen on Japan's Yahoo Auctions as a test of the idea (so as not lose too much love and money on a failed experiment). What arrived was a frame in far better condition than I had imagined or even hoped for—a straight, dent-free frame with a perfectly functional Dura-Ace headset and SG75 bottom bracket—albeit a frame with its fair share of wear and tear.

What was even more unexpected is how much I enjoy riding around on this bike... It was the preconception that this frame would become a beater/foul-weather friend—if it arrived in ridable condition, let alone arriving at all—but instead I've being having a great time with it the past two weeks just as I built it up initially... Although much of it is my love for the wheelset, the toptube length/stem length/bar combination, and the carefree humility of a dinged-up purple bike in Autumn as the falling leaves crunch beneath the tires as they're wheeled along these city streets...

(The coincidence is that I lost two keirin bikes due to frame failure in the time it took for the shopping service to sort everything out and for this friend to finally come here, and I had recently been feeling as if I was going to give up on my love for these things... This humble purple pal has returned a sense of playfulness to the pursuit, and for that I am particularly pleased.)

cool bike! What size tires? Definitely not fitting bigger tires.
Old 10-01-21, 06:42 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
cool bike! What size tires?
Thanks! Keirin frames generally only fit up to 25mm tires and that is what we're running here...

(I was hoping I might sneak a 28mm into the fork and tried (I have a Kiyo that allows for 28mm), though this frame steadfastly denies anything more than the typical 25mm and so it goes.)
Likes For ethet:
Old 10-01-21, 07:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
That's tight!

Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-01-21, 10:28 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
That's tight!

I noticed also. I feel like I need a little more sidewall to protect me from myself.

Beautiful bike though.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 10-03-21, 05:43 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
@JJ_Mango Sorry for the late reply - haven't been on here for a few months. Appreciate the kind words about the build. The bars are Zoom cruiser bars, and the stem is a Velo-Orange threadless with a Dimension threadless adapter.
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 10-03-21, 08:54 PM
JJ Mango 

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Inspired by the creativity and good taste of the many bikes I've seen on this thread in recent months, I just put the not-quite-finishing touches on two of my own. The first is an 80-something Fuji Sagres, found on the side of the road for free with abundant rust. A great candidate for my first experiment with Spray.bike and a fine match for Nitto Jitensha bars. The next is a '87 Mongoose Hilltopper, found at a garage sale for $20 with zero rust and a Nitto Bullmoose and White Industries Eno Eccentric Hub away from sparking a new excitement for vintage 26" rigid MTB's. Just missing a front rack for grocery runs, it's now my designated dog jogger.

Old 10-03-21, 10:16 PM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ Mango
Inspired by the creativity and good taste of the many bikes I've seen on this thread in recent months, I just put the not-quite-finishing touches on two of my own. The first is an 80-something Fuji Sagres, found on the side of the road for free with abundant rust. A great candidate for my first experiment with Spray.bike and a fine match for Nitto Jitensha bars. The next is a '87 Mongoose Hilltopper, found at a garage sale for $20 with zero rust and a Nitto Bullmoose and White Industries Eno Eccentric Hub away from sparking a new excitement for vintage 26" rigid MTB's. Just missing a front rack for grocery runs, it's now my designated dog jogger.

do you have any more close up photo of the spray bike result? I’ve seen some on YouTube but those colour all looks matt but your red colour looks deep and glossy
Old 10-04-21, 06:52 AM
JJ Mango 

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NDL
do you have any more close up photo of the spray bike result? I’ve seen some on YouTube but those colour all looks matt but your red colour looks deep and glossy
I followed the sequence and technique used by Spindatt on Youtube pretty much exactly (not sure if links are allowed - the titles are "Spray.Bike [Long Time Listener, First Time Caller]" and "I wetsanded/polished Spray.Bike |Results will SHOCK you|"). His keys for a glossy finish include knocking down paint (pre-clear) with parchment paper, using more clear than you think and applying in thin coats, and then wet sanding > rubbing compound > polishing compound once the clear is dry. An orbital sander with a polishing pad really helps with the final stage.

I'm really happy with how it turned out, but my main concern is around durability. The paint chips pretty easily, which is not a big deal in my case as 1) this is simply a townie cruiser that will never see unpaved roads and 2) it was free. I don't have any experience with them, but from what I've read in other forums folks really stand by automotive-specific clear coats. Evidently they are extremely toxic so you have to use added care... Next time I think I'll just opt for using even more of the Spray.bike clear coat (I used about a can on frame and fork, I think I would double that and ensure adequate coverage).
Likes For JJ Mango:
Old 10-04-21, 03:26 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
My latest acquisition - a coaster brake klunker from State. Not high end or light, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to ride around jumping curbs and laying down skids

Need to replace the saddle soon as it's by far the least comfortable one I've ever encountered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
klunker.jpg (702.9 KB, 621 views)
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 10-05-21, 03:38 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer

Twingle Steed
What is a Twingle speed?
Old 10-05-21, 02:04 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Originally Posted by JJ Mango
I just put the not-quite-finishing touches on two of my own.
These bikes are beautiful and the backstories are dope! Thank you so much for sharing them with us...

Edit: ...and I must add: I love the headtube decal on the Fuji. It's super nifty that you thought to add that detail

Last edited by ethet; 10-05-21 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Extra love
Old 10-08-21, 08:03 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Prepping this bike for sale, took it for a quick, goodbye spin. Great bike, just no practical use. Skidding makes me nervous, and not smart on tubulars LOL. Practice in scrubbing speed before coming to a complete stop. That being said cool little bike. No idea on who the builder is. Might keep it for ***** and giggles if the offers I get are silly LOL.

Old 10-09-21, 10:32 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Prepping this bike for sale, took it for a quick, goodbye spin. Great bike, just no practical use. Skidding makes me nervous, and not smart on tubulars LOL. Practice in scrubbing speed before coming to a complete stop. That being said cool little bike. No idea on who the builder is. Might keep it for ***** and giggles if the offers I get are silly LOL.

Super cool and classy bike. If I was in the market for a track bike, I'd definitely be interested.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 10-09-21, 09:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts

Was a great ride till a friend went OTB as we were heading back. I was at the front and felt like I was getting a bit far ahead so I slowed down ever so slightly (but no stopping) and then she was a bit farther back behind another rider (who also didn't stop) and just slammed on the brakes and went down thinking we were stopping for some reason. She is OK bike seems ok enough but did kind of end the ride. Still haven't been out of the Langster in a while so it was a bittersweet ride.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-14-21, 03:01 AM
Wildman88

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2, Schwinn World

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
My Ciclo Piave. Very light Campagnolo frame.

How it was when i buy this bike

Likes For Wildman88:
Old 10-14-21, 08:04 AM
Gnolo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Senrab62

​​​​
Mate that's a ripper, great geometry, paint and overall look.
Likes For Gnolo:
Old 10-14-21, 09:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This arrived in the mail yesterday, exactly 6 months after placing the order. It weighs 7.10 lbs including the supplied clunky steel headset. I'm actually considering making it a 3-speed for "around town" riding in San Antonio, where we'll be moving before Christmas.

Metallic red came out with few flaws.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 10-14-21 at 09:47 AM.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-14-21, 09:49 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

More details...

BB Shell

Seatstay area...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-14-21, 09:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

and more...

Junky track ends, though...

Fork crown...

Brake bridge...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-14-21, 08:54 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Junky track ends, though...

Fork crown...

Brake bridge...
Did I miss where you identified the bike? Very pretty!
Likes For TugaDude:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.