Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing chain, benzene a cancer risk?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-21, 01:24 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

I just read that heating paraffin creates benzene. What do you all think? Here's where I read it. Search on benzene.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-FAQ-v1.3a.pdf
Old 10-04-21, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Are you going to be waxing your chain and dealing with melted paraffin for several hours a day every day of the year?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-04-21, 01:41 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you going to be waxing your chain and dealing with melted paraffin for several hours a day every day of the year?
Exactly this. No idea how much you ride Wattsup or if you do it when the sun is up...but, I can tell you I am more concerned about the UV light I am exposed to 3-4 hours a day than the 10 minutes I spend every weekend exposed to the paraffin I melt on my chains.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 10-04-21, 01:45 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
I think a lot of non-chemists worry needlessly over such things. I guess if you got wax to just the right temperature it could break down but the more likely result is shorter straight chain hydrocarbons, not benzene which is a 6 member aromatic ring. The World Health Organization is probably a more reliable source of information on the hazards of paraffin and it shows wax to be pretty safe. https://inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics1457.htm
That is unless you heat it to the flash point and cause a fire. It is not a single compound so can have a range of flash points from 199 to 249 degrees C (115-154 F). Those who choose to clean their chains in gasoline have a lot more to worry about as according to the EPA on average it contains 1% benzene. That's a far greater exposure than to overheated paraffin. If you smell gasoline when you fill your gas tank you have breathed in some benzene. Do it outside and worry less.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-04-21, 02:07 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Iride01
No, not every day. I ride in some pretty moist, sandy, muddy conditions though, and supposedly, in those conditions, one is supposed to wax after most every ride. I could stretch it a couple three rides, probably using a liquid wax to top it off. How much carcinogen is safe?

My mother died of a disease called MDS, a myelodysplastic blood disease, and exposure to benzene is thought to be one cause.
Old 10-04-21, 02:12 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I wouldn't recommend huffing this in an unventilated closet, but it's probably fine if you turn a fan on.

Maybe.

I'm sure there's an expert on carcinogens on BF who will chime in, or at least someone willing to do some googling while pretending to be an expert on this topic.
Old 10-04-21, 02:16 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I wouldn't recommend huffing this in an unventilated closet, but it's probably fine if you turn a fan on.

Maybe.

I'm sure there's an expert on carcinogens on BF who will chime in, or at least someone willing to do some googling while pretending to be an expert on this topic.

I'm thinking of maybe just using a liquid wax instead of melted wax, something like Bananaslip Tungsten All-weather. It did very well in tests, about the best among the drip on waxes. Even if I went through a cassette and chain ring every year, (about $200 total) it's better than getting cancer!
Old 10-04-21, 02:20 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I'm thinking of maybe just using a liquid wax instead of melted wax, something like Bananaslip Tungsten All-weather. It did very well in tests, about the best among the drip on waxes. Even if I went through a cassette and chain ring every year, (about $200 total) it's better than getting cancer!
Is this liquid wax is less likely to give you cancer than a melted wax?
According to Google: Tungsten is a transition metal in the same block as many of the carcinogenic metals on the periodic table and holds potential to induce cancer-associated effects.

You might want to wear gloves.
Old 10-04-21, 02:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
If the main supporter for such cause is being backed by Proposition 65, then I'd be more concerned of being hit by a vehicle if riding the road bicycle in the roadways..
Old 10-04-21, 02:42 PM
Wattsup

According to Google: Tungsten is a transition metal in the same block as many of the carcinogenic metals on the periodic table and holds potential to induce cancer-associated effects.
Unless I snort the BananaSlip, the answer is probably yes. I do wear gloves when cleaning my chain.
Old 10-04-21, 02:58 PM
Wattsup

You might want to wear gloves.

Also...it's tungsten disulfide, and a quick google suggests that it's not dangerous.
Old 10-04-21, 03:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Not to rain on the parade, but isn't a 'liquid wax' just heavier chain hydrocarbons suspended/dissolved in lighter chain hydrocarbons which evaporate, leaving only the heavies? So, volatile solvent - not generally known to be all that healthy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-04-21, 03:08 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
No, not every day. I ride in some pretty moist, sandy, muddy conditions though, and supposedly, in those conditions, one is supposed to wax after most every ride. I could stretch it a couple three rides, probably using a liquid wax to top it off. How much carcinogen is safe?

My mother died of a disease called MDS, a myelodysplastic blood disease, and exposure to benzene is thought to be one cause.
if i had to wax after each ride, well, i wouldn't wax at all then.
Old 10-04-21, 03:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
If you are concerned about it then just melt it or otherwise work with it in a well ventilated area. Outside is best. There are many more potentially carcinogenic things we touch or come in contact with every day. But similar to potentially poisonous stuff you come in contact with every day, the exposure times and amounts make a difference. IMO, though.

I'd certainly defer my opinion to any that study carcinogenic chemicals and can explain them in laymen's terms to me. But till then, I'll just hope that the government authorities that currently regulate such stuff have done their due diligence with it for the current knowledge out there.
Old 10-04-21, 03:14 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by genejockey
Not to rain on the parade, but isn't a 'liquid wax' just heavier chain hydrocarbons suspended/dissolved in lighter chain hydrocarbons which evaporate, leaving only the heavies? So, volatile solvent - not generally known to be all that healthy.
BananaSlip is wax suspended in water.
Old 10-04-21, 03:39 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
I just read that heating paraffin creates benzene. What do you all think? Here's where I read it. Search on benzene.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-FAQ-v1.3a.pdf
No. It’s not going to happen just by heating the wax. Nor would it happen if you got the wax to smoking temperature. The study that they are (well, aren’t) quoting suggests that burning candles releases an unspecified amount of benzene. The results of the study are quantitative, not qualitative and the study has not been published. The results were presented at a scientific meeting but has not been released in a peer reviewed journal. There is some questions about the veracity of the research.

You also don’t need to heat your paraffin to the kinds of temperatures where it would start smoking. It doesn’t start to burn until it is about 200°C (390°F) which is the smoking point. You only need it to be liquid, not smoking. The melt point is around 50°C to 70°C (115° to 150°F). You don’t need to heat it much above the melt point.

The Zero Friction article is also wrong about Teflon. The decomposition products of Teflon aren’t PFOA (perflourooctanoic acid). The decomposition products are far more complex and far more toxic. You also have to heat Teflon to over 330°C (620°F) in order to decompose it. If you heat your wax to that temperature, your kitchen is likely to be on fire first.

Using wax and/or teflon is safe as long as you don’t try to burn them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-04-21, 03:41 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
if i had to wax after each ride, well, i wouldn't wax at all then.
I don't oil after every ride.
Old 10-04-21, 03:48 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
I don't oil after every ride.
Once you get set up on a chain wax system where you rotate 2 or 3 chains, then waxing or changing chains after every ride would not be that time consuming. So long as you use quick links, changing out a chain takes about the same amount of time as putting air in your tires before a ride.
Old 10-04-21, 03:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yes, “liquid wax” is usually wax in a solvent. The solvent evaporates and leaves the wax behind. However the health effects of volatile solvent depends on the nature of the solvent. Water is volatile as is alcohol, acetone, gasoline, benzene, mineral spirits, and more. Some are toxic and some have much lower toxicity. Mineral spirits (probably the most widely used lubricant solvent), isn’t particularly toxic. It’s also used in oil based chain lubricants because oil based lubricants work the same way.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-04-21 at 08:58 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-04-21, 03:56 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Once you get set up on a chain wax system where you rotate 2 or 3 chains, then waxing or changing chains after every ride would not be that time consuming. So long as you use quick links, changing out a chain takes about the same amount of time as putting air in your tires before a ride.
Ahhhh, I'm one of them crazy guys. I change my chain once a year. Closing in 50,000 miles so far.
Old 10-04-21, 03:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Just use NFS lube. It’s the best.
Old 10-04-21, 04:01 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
Ahhhh, I'm one of them crazy guys. I change my chain once a year. Closing in 50,000 miles so far.
That's pretty impressive! I'm not proposing replacing one's chain any sooner than need be. I'm just saying you could install a freshly waxed chain every ride with minimal fuss once you are up and running. That is if you ride in the rain a lot or get the chain into some really nasty stuff and needed to rotate it for the ready one after just 1 ride. I followed the directions from Molten Speed Wax and once you prep a new chain for wax the first time, you are good to go for a long time.

Last edited by masi61; 10-04-21 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 10-04-21, 04:04 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Wear a respirator when working with solvents. Not that hard.
Old 10-04-21, 04:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I guess it's time to go back to a razor.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-04-21, 04:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I guess it's time to go back to a razor.
the laser lessens the maintenance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.