Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Armor?

Old 12-19-21, 07:41 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Armor?

I’ve never ridden in armor. I’ve had a few wrecks but really, I’ve hurt myself a lot worse on road bike wrecks.

Anyway, I’ve been really interested in more and more aggressive riding lately. I’m hoping my riding style will remain focused on long days and big climbs, I do want to try harder down difficult obstacles and ride faster through what I can already do.

I understand that practice and mileage matters. I’m also getting a Canfield Yelli Screamy (aggressive hardtail) to replace my XC oriented Trek hardtail.

So what do you guys wear? Full armor and just strip down uphill? Is there a light armor that actually helps more than it hinders?

Is it all shin/knee and forearm/elbow? I seem to land on my hips.

What’s helpful? What’s useless? What’s minimum? What’s overkill? I really don’t know where to start.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-21, 08:45 AM
bmwpowere36m3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A lot of that is personal judgement... you can wear it all or none. How often you crash, the risk of injury for the type of riding you do, your age and susceptibility to injury (or really long recovery), etc...

Last spill, I landed square on a rock with my knee. So of coarse, now I'm looking into knee pads. Then I'll wear them and never hit my knees... isn't that how it goes? When I rode trails with my moto, I wore it all (knee/elbow/hip pads, back/chest protector, neck brace).

As of today, I'm only wearing a helmet and considering knee pads riding mostly XC. If I had more DH or park stuff, then I'll likely gear up accordingly.
Old 12-19-21, 11:28 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I started wearing light knee pads, ISX Flows, 2 years ago. They are light and flexy enough that I don't bother taking them on and off while riding, don't bother me. I can say I haven't hurt my knees in any wreck since buying them but it is hard to say if I would have without them, better safe than sorry though. I'm getting old and injuries take a lot longer to heal these days so it is worth it.
Old 12-19-21, 02:17 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Canker
I'm getting old and injuries take a lot longer to heal these days so it is worth it.
I probably should have mentioned that, I’m 43 and aging like an open beer.

Everything already hurts, maybe I can make it hurt less?
Old 12-20-21, 01:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
padded shorts maybe?
Old 12-22-21, 01:43 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A month ago I posted this thread in MTBR...
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/proteck-your-neck.1196586/

The EWS study linked there found that, aside from helmets which are a given...
knee and elbow injuries are common but easy to armor
Shoulder and hand injuries are common, take longer to heal, and hard to armor effectively
Neck, back, and pelvis injuries are uncommon but drastic.

There are tons of options for pads. You can get full chest protectors, backpacks with spine protectors, neck rolls for FF helmets. Like you I was kind of trying to figure out what's really worthwhile. A few weeks after that post I broke my thumb in a very stupid commuting crash (stopped to take a photo and lowsided) and some armored moto-style gloves would have prevented the damage. But what were the odds? Well, probably pretty good. It's not the first time I've broken a finger, though it's been a long time.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-22-21, 07:02 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Full finger gloves have been standard for me since the 90’s. That includes road racing. I think I took them off for time trials, so long ago I can’t remember.

Even without wrecks, it’s a dry skin thing. Yes, touchscreens can be annoying. That’s probably why I go on spectacular rides with very few pics.
Old 12-22-21, 08:05 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I wear full fingered motorcycle gloves and tactical elbow pads underneath my jersey on my gravel bike which I ride mostly on roads. The elbow pads is completely obscure and hidden under my long sleeve jacket nobody would notice I'm wearing them.

I know a lot of roadies avoid armor like a plague but I think it's important. Road accidents can be worse due to the vehicular contact factor and higher speeds. I have one bad accident so far but so far only broke my elbow and roach rash elsewhere, most painful on the finger so I started wearing full fingered gloves and elbow pads.

I tried wearing yoga knee pads as well as tactical knee pads but these are uncomfortable to pedal long periods if you're not wearing pants. Maybe OK for MTB but not okay with road biking. I'm still on the lookout for knee pads, like I still haven't tried knee pads for indoor basketball use. They look comfortable and seem dual purpose for protection against UV rays as well. Interesting fact, I never injured my knees so far on a road accident. I have hurt my groin, butt, both elbows, hands, but never the knees.
Have you tried knee pads that are designed for work pants( they actually go in a upside down pocket on the pant. they dont have a back strap its just the pad and held in place by the pants. massive downside is they require pants made for the pad. I already have them and use them for work never used for riding but I dont think they would be a issue on a ride.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-22-21, 09:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Yeah, that's a massive downside.

It looks like Rockbros is selling MTB-specific knee pads that also look like the yoga pads I bought earlier. Might try this one out.

Have a link to those pads?
Old 12-22-21, 05:41 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
Yeah, that's a massive downside.

It looks like Rockbros is selling MTB-specific knee pads that also look like the yoga pads I bought earlier. Might try this one out.

Originally Posted by prj71
Have a link to those pads?
They look like ones I've been considering... The full lower leg coverage seems a great idea (my shins are very tender...) but using them in summer .... ugh, seem very hot ... brutal hot and desert grade sun & temps here in the back country between Apr & Oct - where I would need them, Daily 95 - 105+ F
ebay link : https://www.ebay.com/itm/173648671661?var=472324937496 I believe I've seen them on amazon also...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-27-21, 06:10 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Full finger gloves have been standard for me since the 90’s. That includes road racing. I think I took them off for time trials, so long ago I can’t remember.

Even without wrecks, it’s a dry skin thing. Yes, touchscreens can be annoying. That’s probably why I go on spectacular rides with very few pics.

i cut the tip off my forefinger glove if I'm riding with music so I can swipe it if an annoying song pops up.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-27-21, 06:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I’ve never ridden in armor. I’ve had a few wrecks but really, I’ve hurt myself a lot worse on road bike wrecks.

Anyway, I’ve been really interested in more and more aggressive riding lately. I’m hoping my riding style will remain focused on long days and big climbs, I do want to try harder down difficult obstacles and ride faster through what I can already do.

I understand that practice and mileage matters. I’m also getting a Canfield Yelli Screamy (aggressive hardtail) to replace my XC oriented Trek hardtail.

So what do you guys wear? Full armor and just strip down uphill? Is there a light armor that actually helps more than it hinders?

Is it all shin/knee and forearm/elbow? I seem to land on my hips.

What’s helpful? What’s useless? What’s minimum? What’s overkill? I really don’t know where to start.

Thanks.

depends on your percentage of uphill to downhill. I've lashed pads to my camelback pack
​​​​​pack so I'll have them for the descent before
Old 12-28-21, 09:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

you don't want to crack a knee-cap. Wifey did that while out in Boston 1 nite w/ her girlfriends. tripped on some cobblestone & landed on a curb. snapped in half. met them at the ER some time later. her friends recounted the screaming. if you broke a knee-cap like that out in the woods, pretty sure you'd need to be extricated by first responders. Wifey required morphine & surgery

some time after Wifey's accident, I landed on a knee, right beside a pyramid shaped rock. a near miss! started hunting for knee pads after that but never found something comfortable. seemed like they were all made for skinny legs/knees. those shin guards look good. I guess they stay in place cuz they go all the way down to your ankle?

steep rough trail called "bear paw"

the landing spot

the minor damage

big band aides back in the car, felt good for part two of my riding that day

some time after, I was intrigued by what this guy was wearing for dirt biking. looks like pants w/ knee pads. but looks too heavy for cycling
Old 01-07-22, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

went down this morning but wound up on my back, breaking thru the ice. it's all good until it isn't, right? studded tires are fine, unless the tread fill w/ compacted snow, lifting you off the studs. I knew this water would be deep, in fact I heard "running water" in the distance! I stopped but as I put a foot down, I slipped & went down. made a little hole near the big hole, in front of the flooded area

Old 01-10-22, 08:56 AM
prj71

Riding the wrong bike for those conditions.
Old 01-10-22, 09:22 AM
rumrunn6

Riding the wrong bike for those conditions.
it worked fine, plus it's all I have. should I assume you would recommend a fat bike? lots of ppl think only fat bikes can ride in the snow but it's not true. plenty of ppl have been riding in snow before a fat bike was invented. plenty more will continue to do so. also lots of fat bikers fall when riding in the snow
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-10-22, 11:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It looks like the right bike would have been one of those Russian nuclear icebreakers
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-10-22, 12:32 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It looks like the right bike would have been one of those Russian nuclear icebreakers
lol or this thing

but like I wrote, the reason I fell, was because I stopped & put a foot down. the compacted snow, in my boot tread, over ice, was unexpected, my bad

& what are we gonna tell these guys ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-10-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-10-22, 02:07 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
it worked fine, plus it's all I have. should I assume you would recommend a fat bike? lots of ppl think only fat bikes can ride in the snow but it's not true. plenty of ppl have been riding in snow before a fat bike was invented. plenty more will continue to do so. also lots of fat bikers fall when riding in the snow
Fat bike with studded tires. Your crash wouldn't have happened.
Old 01-10-22, 05:06 PM
rumrunn6

Fat bike with studded tires. Your crash wouldn't have happened.
so like I wrote it wasn't a crash. the bike didn't go down. I went down. being on a studded fat bike would have made zero difference. & riders on studded fat bikes go down all the time
Old 01-11-22, 08:11 AM
prj71

My misunderstanding. Thought you crashed on that bike.

But fat bikes with studded tires don't go down on ice.
Old 01-11-22, 08:24 AM
rumrunn6

My misunderstanding. Thought you crashed on that bike.But fat bikes with studded tires don't go down on ice.
hehe I'll remind everyone that posts videos of themselves falling on their studded fat bikes

for example, see post #15 here: https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...e-warning.html

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-11-22 at 09:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.