Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 dead and won't charge after long period of storage

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 dead and won't charge after long period of storage

Old 01-15-22, 03:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
If your coffee cup runs Bluetooth, you have my sympathy. You were given it, not gifted it. Gifted is an adjective roughly meaning 'blessed with talent'.

YWIA
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well others might disagree. It's a proper past tense of gift.

My rather gifted wife gifted me a nice Di2 bike which has bluetooth.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-16-22, 08:17 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Good for her!
Old 01-16-22, 08:57 AM
Koyote

Good for her!
No, good for me!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-16-22, 03:11 PM
Girona_Kiwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I was a software engineer for years. I will never purchase a bicycle that runs software.

Nope.

Never.
This seems a fairly narrow view. Having ridden Di2 for over 5 years, my first problem on the actual bike was a battery that went flat after 12-18 months in between charges - that's not so unreasonable. I was sceptical also, but overall it's been incredibly reliable. I don't know anyone who has ditched Di2 back to mechanical after riding it for a while, it's awesome.
Likes For Girona_Kiwi:
Old 01-16-22, 04:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Well really you shouldn't think of it as a narrow view. They didn't say it was a mantra we all should follow. So it's just much like me drinking my coffee black and my wife wanting milk in hers. Or like times when I let everyone know how ugly I think dark colored bikes are. <grin>
Old 01-16-22, 06:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
I was a software engineer for years. I will never purchase a bicycle that runs software.

Nope.

Never.
This statement doesn't give me much confidence in your former choice of career!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-16-22, 06:45 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Originally Posted by Girona_Kiwi
This seems a fairly narrow view. Having ridden Di2 for over 5 years, my first problem on the actual bike was a battery that went flat after 12-18 months in between charges - that's not so unreasonable. I was sceptical also, but overall it's been incredibly reliable. I don't know anyone who has ditched Di2 back to mechanical after riding it for a while, it's awesome.
I should clarify that my objection is personal and philosophical, and probably doesn't apply to most others. Having worked on embedded software, I know it's usually well-tested, and so some of the more reliable software around, MCAS notwithstanding. When my brother worked at Microsoft, he used to joke that he wanted a wood-burning word processor. I just don't want my real, physical machine to include any virtual, digital parts (well, except for my speedometer). I don't care whether other's machines do or not. Ride what you like!

Hey, I play records, too. I'm old.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 01-18-22, 05:05 AM
Girona_Kiwi

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I should clarify that my objection is personal and philosophical, and probably doesn't apply to most others. Having worked on embedded software, I know it's usually well-tested, and so some of the more reliable software around, MCAS notwithstanding. When my brother worked at Microsoft, he used to joke that he wanted a wood-burning word processor. I just don't want my real, physical machine to include any virtual, digital parts (well, except for my speedometer). I don't care whether other's machines do or not. Ride what you like!

Hey, I play records, too. I'm old.
What software problems does Di2 have or have you heard of? This thread is about leaving a battery too long between charges, like anything powered by batteries. It's a shame it's been hijacked by anti vaxxers Di2ers.
Likes For Girona_Kiwi:
Old 01-18-22, 12:00 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

What software problems does Di2 have or have you heard of? This thread is about leaving a battery too long between charges, like anything powered by batteries. It's a shame it's been hijacked by anti vaxxers Di2ers.
Go fix your bike and quit your whimpering.
Old 01-18-22, 12:02 PM
Girona_Kiwi

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Go fix your bike and quit your whimpering.
It's fixed, and fixed fast. Zero contributions from you.
Old 01-18-22, 12:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It's fixed, and fixed fast. Zero contributions from you.
Report the post. The moderators here claim to want to prevent this kind of thing happening, especially to newbies.
Old 01-18-22, 03:11 PM
Girona_Kiwi

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Report the post. The moderators here claim to want to prevent this kind of thing happening, especially to newbies.
Nah, if this is the kind of place that the newbie has to do the reporting, then forget it. Let this be a monument to Fredo who posted more replies than anyone else, all of them critical of others and self congratulatory including the own goal of stroking his ego about being a software engineer therefore anyone who uses a software is an idiot. (Slow clap) He knows better than anyone else here, despite offering no solutions, encouragement, advice or any examples as to why Di2 is fraught with issues. He's probably never even tried a Di2 bike, or anything built this century, but I guess that's never going to stop him doing his best to reinforce several stereotypes in one go.
Likes For Girona_Kiwi:
Old 01-18-22, 03:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've had Di2 since 2014 and it has been absolutely solid. It is true that lithium batteries don't like to be stored empty, but it is extremely reliable in general.

The best course is just to put someone like that on ignore.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-18-22, 03:49 PM
Girona_Kiwi

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I've had Di2 since 2014 and it has been absolutely solid. It is true that lithium batteries don't like to be stored empty, but it is extremely reliable in general.

The best course is just to put someone like that on ignore.
Yeah, I got my Di2 bike in 2016 and it's been flawless. Everyone I know says the same thing. As it turned out, this problem had nothing to do with Di2, but batteries in general. Cheers.
Old 01-18-22, 03:58 PM
Koyote

Since getting a Di2 bike a few years ago, I've had three RD cables snap on my mechanical drivetrains - always while I'm a decent distance from home.

Funny, but that sort of thing has never happened on my Di2 bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-18-22, 09:29 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
Since getting a Di2 bike a few years ago, I've had three RD cables snap on my mechanical drivetrains - always while I'm a decent distance from home.

Funny, but that sort of thing has never happened on my Di2 bike.
Yeah, no broken shift cable problems. Those broken cables never seem to give warning signs of bad shifting until the same ride where they break.

But I still occasionally run the battery down into the red. "I thought I checked it just last week." "I won't forget it ever again." (And I normally recharge as soon as I notice the status go to blinking green, which is 50% down to 25% charge.) It's quite interesting to try to conserve shifts to get through the ride. Mashing hills, spinning flats. I'm used to shifting "all the time", even for just a couple of pedal strokes,then shift again.

Another 2014 Di2 rider here. At least 28,000 miles, and it still works like new. The derailleurs have no slop from pivot wear, and the buttons still click like new. I did install a new battery a few years ago when it started needing a charge every couple of rides.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-18-22 at 09:33 PM.