Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 03:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I had a transition last weekend that was so abrupt that I lost my momentum before I could get to the end of my range and fell over. I got on the granny first and was trying to grind it out while moving up the cassette. Momentum stopped and I couldn't get a foot down fast enough. Got up, shifted the rest of the way to the end of the cassette, rolled down to the start, and went back up. Luckily, there were no other riders/bystanders to witness the fiasco.

Also slowly passed a teen walking up a hill with a skateboard. Looked down and I was climbing at 4.1mph. Slow enough that we had a conversation.

Last edited by seypat; 05-29-22 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-29-22, 03:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
With Big Gravel telling us what to demand, this is what happens. The decision was evidently made. Those of us who want a wide range AND close spacing are SOL.
Wait the fall of the tripple is a Big Gravel thing? That was my gut feeling but I thought that the switch away from tripples happened before Big Gravel took over, but this was before my time.
Old 05-29-22, 03:29 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Even an 8 speed 13 - 34 cassette w/42T chainring provides a 33 - 87 gear inch range. That would cover a lot of territory for most folks. My 2018 bike came with a tripple chainring, But I didn't buy the bike for that, If it came with the gearset in my example, I would have been just as happy. I found I can work with the standard gears on most bikes, Its just a matter of taking advantage of the benifets of each gearset.
Thats covers a lot of territory but I wouldn't be happy with the low end or high end on that bike, maybe on dirt roads it would be fine
Old 05-29-22, 04:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Because it's cheaper to put less chainrings on a bike and still charge an inflated price for it. It tries to be justified as being simpler, tuning doesn't have to be as "perfect" as with a triplle, and generally works better. My ancient (98) mtn.bike and my road bike ('06) both have triples and both shift just fine and have never given me any trouble. My bikes are well maintained, and while I'm not an expert mechanic, I do OK.
You arent riding wrong and others aren't riding wrong. There is no right or wrong. That is obvious, yet people still seem to post like they are accepting of their way not being right. It's goofy to see.

Your triple drivetrains are 3x9 at most, correct? Adding more cogs in the back allowed a ring to be removed from the front. Again, it isnt eight or wrong to use a double or a triple. Ride what you like.
With that said, your theory that compact doubles taking over because they are cheaper is absurd.
Old 05-29-22, 04:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What replaced the triple? The compact. Why were no compacts made before? Because no one would want one. Why have an inferior drivetrain like that which neither climbs nor descends as well? The bike industry took a step back with the only goal being standardization and increased profits.

I get it that strong riders on BF can console themselves with the imaginary virtues of compacts. Just you wait.
Compacts were not made before for a couple reasons-
- cassettes at the time were not designed to handle a compact double up front. 11t cassettes weren't a thing and there weren't enough cogs to make wider range cassettes useful.
- the industry largely split drop bar drivetrains into either road bike with very tough gearing or wide range touring triple.

You claim profits are why compact doubles exist?...how? What was saved by moving to them? What was sold that otherwise wouldn't sell?

You live in a hilly area. Others live in flat land. Others live in a mix of hills and flat. What works best for you may not be what works best for others. This is aside from strength, since you brought that up, and is entirely terrain based. What you need is not universal, regardless of strength.
Old 05-29-22, 04:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Fredo76
With Big Gravel telling us what to demand, this is what happens. The decision was evidently made. Those of us who want a wide range AND close spacing are SOL.
Compact doubles became popular before gravel took off.
Also, 11sp allows for tight jumps and wide range.
Your history is jacked up- time for you to come up with another reason and base it on something other than reality.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-29-22, 05:29 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
I just LOVE the term Big Gravel, and had to try using it. My post was in jest, of course. But only half-so.

My "history" has a four-decade absence, ending two years ago. What happened?

Speaking of jacked up, somebody needs a chill pill! I hope you brought enough chill pills for everybody...
Old 05-29-22, 05:45 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
I still appreciate triples. Due to a lack of a solid triple with a respectable granny and the hills of Pittsburgh I switched my compact to a sub compact. Yes, larger cassettes are available but who wants one the size of a dinner plate. Bring back Triples!
but have you done the dirty dozen !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_...le_competition)

Old 05-29-22, 05:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Wait the fall of the tripple is a Big Gravel thing? That was my gut feeling but I thought that the switch away from tripples happened before Big Gravel took over, but this was before my time.
Triple mate, triple, triple, triple. Just a single p. Got it yet?

Also got F.all to do with Big Gravel. Alternative reality stuff there.
Old 05-29-22, 05:59 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Larry's threads are genuinely some of the best on BF.

No, no they are not. They are everything that is wrong with this forum and why it is becoming a laughable place.
Old 05-29-22, 06:08 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
How many rear shifts of 3-8 cogs? A lot of those can be eliminated with 2 shifts of the front or 1 front and a couple of rear with a 3x. Bear in mind we're talking about terrain with great variation. Not talking about rollers where you nibble along parts of the cassette. It depends on what's important to each rider.
That's probably countable with Di2 data, but I can't be bothered considering rear shifting is easy and intuitive, so those shifts are basically free for me. On the other hand -- quite literally -- back when the only road bike I had was a Tiagra 4700 double, my left wrist gave out during a long ride due to the strain from upshifting the front ring too often. That played a role in splurging for Di2 when a deal came along.

Anyway, most less experienced riders are avoiding difficult terrain / not able to figure out which chainring to be in even with only 2 chainrings, let alone 3 (TBH even I can't be bothered, I hate how slow it is to hunt around for the right gear combo with 3x on my tandems).

No nibbling around the cassette here.

I don't even find having a 1x to be a major issue in a paceline as I've become more adaptable with my cadence. 1x is still going to be 11 times easier than SS on a hilly ride.
Old 05-29-22, 06:09 PM
seypat

Viva la 110/74!
Old 05-29-22, 06:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Because it's cheaper to put less chainrings on a bike and still charge an inflated price for it. It tries to be justified as being simpler, tuning doesn't have to be as "perfect" as with a triplle, and generally works better. My ancient (98) mtn.bike and my road bike ('06) both have triples and both shift just fine and have never given me any trouble. My bikes are well maintained, and while I'm not an expert mechanic, I do OK. I am a senior, so maybe I just don't appreciate new "advances". My trouble free triples are staying on my bikes-and the triple gets full use on the road bike, while no so much on the mtn.bike.
That is 100% not the reason why triples have virtually disappeared. It is simply down to the increase in the number of cassette gears. A modern 11 or 12-speed drivetrain doesn't really need 3 chainrings for most people. We are actually at a point where 2 chainrings is now becoming questionable with 1x13 emerging.
Old 05-29-22, 06:18 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by surak
That's probably countable with Di2 data, but I can't be bothered considering rear shifting is easy and intuitive, so those shifts are basically free for me. On the other hand -- quite literally -- back when the only road bike I had was a Tiagra 4700 double, my left wrist gave out during a long ride due to the strain from upshifting the front ring too often. That played a role in splurging for Di2 when a deal came along.

Anyway, most less experienced riders are avoiding difficult terrain / not able to figure out which chainring to be in even with only 2 chainrings, let alone 3 (TBH even I can't be bothered, I hate how slow it is to hunt around for the right gear combo with 3x on my tandems).

No nibbling around the cassette here.

I don't even find having a 1x to be a major issue in a paceline as I've become more adaptable with my cadence. 1x is still going to be 11 times easier than SS on a hilly ride.
It was actually my right wrist that used to give out shifting on long rides. Sounds like the wrist problems ended with a move to electronic shifting, not because of compact doubles.

BTW, I'm sure the less experienced riders could also figure it out with electronic shifting. If it solved your problems, it would probably solve theirs as well.
Old 05-29-22, 06:33 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That is 100% not the reason why triples have virtually disappeared. It is simply down to the increase in the number of cassette gears. A modern 11 or 12-speed drivetrain doesn't really need 3 chainrings for most people. We are actually at a point where 2 chainrings is now becoming questionable with 1x13 emerging.
Take a look at the ride profile that surak posted up thread. That would be some kind of fun with a 1X. Not really.
Old 05-29-22, 06:52 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by surak
I dont agree that tripples are more complicated, when I got my first "nice" bike when i was like 11, the bike shop told me to use gears 1-3 for the small chainring, 3-5 for the middle, and 5-7 for the big one. I still follow that advice religiously when using a 21 speed bike. Its actually easier for me to be in the right gear on the tripple than a double because it was laid out for me so plainly as a kid
Old 05-29-22, 06:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I joined a road club of 500 members in 1989, still ride with that club. It's rare to see a triple on anyone's bike now but back then there were only a few. I used a double for everything except touring. I didn't get a triple roadie until 2002. I rode 9000 miles for 3 years and 12K for another on double chainrings with tons of climbing. A friend rode 25K miles some years including all of the climbing centuries with a double and 8 speed.
It would be shocking to see a racer with a triple, ever.

Now, I can only think of one club rider who has a triple.

When compact cranksets came out the demand for triples went down and high-end triple groups were dropped. I have an Ultegra 10 speed triple group on one bike.
I have a compact 10 speed group on the other and it works pretty well but sometimes I wish it had a lower gear then the 34x29, but I'm fat and old.

I'm surprised to see people supporting triples on the forum. They were scoffed at in the past on these pages.

Last edited by big john; 05-29-22 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-29-22, 07:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how many people cling to the theory that bike manufacturers all conspire to produce 1x, disc brake, carbon frames etc., despite most cyclists preferring triples, rim brakes, and steel frames. It's like claiming the auto manufacturers all conspire to build SUVs, despite people really wanting station wagons.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-29-22, 07:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by big john
I
It would be shocking to see a racer with a triple, ever.
I agree based on what I see around me, but why is this the case? Are racers normally strong enough to not need the granny? It could just be everyone conforming to the norm, I think some people don't even know why they shave their legs and wear sunglasses over the helmet straps. Its just the way things are done.
Old 05-29-22, 07:26 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by vespasianus
No, no they are not. They are everything that is wrong with this forum and why it is becoming a laughable place.
Maybe you can start a thread for evaluation.
Old 05-29-22, 07:28 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It never ceases to amaze me how many people cling to the theory that bike manufacturers all conspire to produce 1x, disc brake, carbon frames etc., despite most cyclists preferring triples, rim brakes, and steel frames. It's like claiming the auto manufacturers all conspire to build SUVs, despite people really wanting station wagons.
I'd rather drive a station wagon, or a mini van.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-29-22, 07:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
I'd rather drive a station wagon, or a mini van.
No one is stopping you, are they? But, the general public is not clamoring for station wagons, the same as they are not clamoring for triple cranksets.
Old 05-29-22, 07:41 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Take a look at the ride profile that surak posted up thread. That would be some kind of fun with a 1X. Not really.
Nah, most of my fun-hard rides over the winter were on my mechanical 11 speed 1x rain bike and the gaps in gearing were fine. 2 more bigger sprockets would be nice -- I considered getting the Ratio upgrade kit to get to 12 speed and ability to max out with something between 42-46t sprocket instead of the 36t I'm limited to, but decided against it because my current gearing on it is almost perfect for my commutes.

Here's one of the hardest rides I did with a strong group on that bike: 77 miles and 5300 ft elev gain with 17 mph avg speed, 44 mph max and only 116 rpm cadence.

​​​​​
Old 05-29-22, 07:42 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No one is stopping you, are they? But, the general public is not clamoring for station wagons, the same as they are not clamoring for triple cranksets.
If i want to buy a new station wagon, yes. The last American one sold was a rebadged German one that was dropped for the 2020 year We have the Outback, the VW if it is still being sold, and the high end German ones if they are still being sold. So for me it's mini and full sized vans. No SUVs and crossovers. Triples also, so no new bikes.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-29-22, 07:47 PM
surak

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I dont agree that tripples are more complicated, when I got my first "nice" bike when i was like 11, the bike shop told me to use gears 1-3 for the small chainring, 3-5 for the middle, and 5-7 for the big one. I still follow that advice religiously when using a 21 speed bike. Its actually easier for me to be in the right gear on the tripple than a double because it was laid out for me so plainly as a kid
My man, you can't even keep track of how many p's are in the word "triple" and you expect me to believe that you know what sprocket you're riding in the back without checking religiously? Also that advice is still 3x more complicated than remembering to stay in the big chainring unless it's hard going uphill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.