Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Scarlson saves another!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Scarlson saves another!

Old 05-30-22, 07:32 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Scarlson saves another!

A friend gave me a Bridgestone MB-3 with a bit of a problem:

I rang up @scarlson to see if could repair, and he said eazy peazy.

First we needed a sacrificial canti post (the threaded part at least):

Sam used a trimmed bolt as a means to join the new post and what was left of the old one (not shown is some tapping, filing, and sandblasting). All set for some torching and some silver solder:

Braze complete:

I’ll do a bit more cleaning up, some touch-up paint, and then some sort of beater build. Nice save, Sam!
Old 05-30-22, 08:08 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

Boss!

-----
Old 05-30-22, 10:24 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I have this same problem on a Bianchi Volpe, but my bosses aren’t threaded. She’s currently fixed until I remedy the problem.

Glad y’all could keep her on the road.
Old 05-30-22, 10:54 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Ooooh, you took pictures! I didn't even notice!

Thanks for the shout-out!

I remarked that the frame smelled a bit like sulfur when I first brought it in. We thus surmised that this cut-off canti post must be the work of the devil. Now it smells like Gasflux type H black flux and burnt enamel. I'm going to say it's officially exorcised!
Old 05-30-22, 11:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
Nicely done! Another frame saved, always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old 05-31-22, 05:07 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts

1989 Centurion Prestige back in hill fighting mode thanks to scarlson 's repair of the broken RD hangar. If he could only weld bigger quads onto my birdy legs.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 05-31-22 at 06:42 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 05-31-22, 09:51 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Found a can of spray paint with a bit left. Good enough match for this beater:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 05-31-22, 12:06 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
Man I love these threads. Hope I can get up to Scarlson’s sometime!
Old 06-01-22, 09:36 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by jethin
Man I love these threads. Hope I can get up to Scarlson’s sometime!
You are welcome anytime! Broken bikes and beer are also always welcome.
Old 06-01-22, 09:58 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Could one also drill out the threads in the frame and Helicoil? (Obviously I’m not familiar with canti’s)

Last edited by RustyJames; 06-01-22 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-01-22, 03:20 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Could one also drill out the threads in the frame and Helicoil? (Obviously I’m not familiar with canti’s)
The threads were ok, though. I wasn't really repairing threads. A helicoil is only really useful for threads. And it might not work in a stripped canti post either, because the walls of the post are so thin.

The problem on this bike was that the post that the brake pivots on had been cut short, leaving only a stub with a few threads. My job was to add some length to it, so a brake could fit on it again. I did this by screwing a small threaded stud into the threaded hole in the remaining stub, then threading on a piece of an old cantilever post, and finally brazing everything together using silver. This created a nice robust repair, stronger than the original.

It could also have been done with JB Weld instead of brazing, or even with nothing at all - just a long m6x1 bolt to mount the brake arm with the missing piece screwed on in the middle. But brazed-on, this is a sort of "gold standard" repair, and was pretty interesting/fun to think up and do.
Old 06-01-22, 04:13 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
The threads were ok, though. I wasn't really repairing threads. A helicoil is only really useful for threads. And it might not work in a stripped canti post either, because the walls of the post are so thin.

The problem on this bike was that the post that the brake pivots on had been cut short, leaving only a stub with a few threads. My job was to add some length to it, so a brake could fit on it again. I did this by screwing a small threaded stud into the threaded hole in the remaining stub, then threading on a piece of an old cantilever post, and finally brazing everything together using silver. This created a nice robust repair, stronger than the original.

It could also have been done with JB Weld instead of brazing, or even with nothing at all - just a long m6x1 bolt to mount the brake arm with the missing piece screwed on in the middle. But brazed-on, this is a sort of "gold standard" repair, and was pretty interesting/fun to think up and do.
Now I’m tracking. Way more fun doing the “gold standard” repair.