Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Old 06-09-22, 02:22 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Italian made Columbus SL frame, Campy NR equiped bike....maybe $800.
be pretty interesting to ride them back to back. certainly less different than going from a 1975 ford 500 to a 2022 accord, but some notable differences. would the new bike be faster? lighter? more comfortable? more grip? more reliable? easier to ride?
Old 06-09-22, 03:23 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I've posted on other threads about my 25.5 mile midweek route, which I've ridden with 7 different bikes now. There's 4 minutes difference in best time between my newest bike (2020) and my oldest (1982). Same route, same rider, similar effort (based solely on HR, since they don't make power meters for Dura Ace 7200 cranks). Basically a 5% difference.
We have a group road ride weekly out of one of the local breweries. Every once in a while we get a new person that shows up on a vintage 80's or 90s bike. Lets just say that for whatever reason the person that always shows up on the vintage bike can't keep up.

Some of those said people ended up buying a new bike after being left behind and now can keep up.
Old 06-09-22, 03:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
be pretty interesting to ride them back to back. certainly less different than going from a 1975 ford 500 to a 2022 accord, but some notable differences. would the new bike be faster? lighter? more comfortable? more grip? more reliable? easier to ride?
Well, the 1975 bike would have a 6 speed freewheel, non-aero brake levers, DT friction shifters, non-ergo bars with a lot of drop, toeclips and straps, maybe a 52/42 crank and a 13-19 corncob rear cluster. It would have 36 spoke wheels shod in 21mm tires, maybe tubulars if you're lucky - which you'd have to learn how to glue on. Then you'd pump them up to rock hard. Bar tape would be paper thin. The frame would be pretty flexible when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle, which your 42 x 19 lowest gear would mean you'd do A LOT. You'd need to start braking a LOT sooner, and you'd need to make sure you were in the right gear when you start the climb, because you're pretty much stuck with it till the top. Getting in and out of the pedals would be a lot more dodgy, especially if you pull the straps tight so you can pedal more efficiently. Riding on the hoods would be A LOT less comfortable. And yes, IME it would be slower.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-09-22, 03:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by prj71
We have a group road ride weekly out of one of the local breweries. Every once in a while we get a new person that shows up on a vintage 80's or 90s bike. Lets just say that for whatever reason the person that always shows up on the vintage bike can't keep up.

Some of those said people ended up buying a new bike after being left behind and now can keep up.
Yeah. A 4 minute difference over 25 miles works out to about a 10 second difference every mile, and a 10 second difference in the first mile is basically OTB. OR riding the same speed, but putting out more watts to do it and blowing up later in the ride.

Old 06-09-22, 03:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I should note - I love all my bikes, and I like riding them as fast as I can, pushing as hard as I can. I don't baby the old bikes But they're slower.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-09-22, 03:59 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Well, the 1975 bike would have a 6 speed freewheel, non-aero brake levers, DT friction shifters, non-ergo bars with a lot of drop, toeclips and straps, maybe a 52/42 crank and a 13-19 corncob rear cluster. It would have 36 spoke wheels shod in 21mm tires, maybe tubulars if you're lucky - which you'd have to learn how to glue on. Then you'd pump them up to rock hard. Bar tape would be paper thin. The frame would be pretty flexible when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle, which your 42 x 19 lowest gear would mean you'd do A LOT. You'd need to start braking a LOT sooner, and you'd need to make sure you were in the right gear when you start the climb, because you're pretty much stuck with it till the top. Getting in and out of the pedals would be a lot more dodgy, especially if you pull the straps tight so you can pedal more efficiently. Riding on the hoods would be A LOT less comfortable. And yes, IME it would be slower.
42 x 19 !

that would be a very short ride for me.
Old 06-09-22, 04:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

42 x 19 !

that would be a very short ride for me.
When we do our monthly C&V rides, my co-organizer is often running that combo. He pretty much has to stand up for any little rise. He's strong, so he can do it, but still. This is why ALL my C&V bikes have at least a 42x26.

Old 06-09-22, 04:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Well, the 1975 bike would have a 6 speed freewheel
If you were lucky! All my bikes of that era had 5-speed freewheels. I don't think I had a 6-speed until the 80s.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-22, 04:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you were lucky! All my bikes of that era had 5-speed freewheels. I don't think I had a 6-speed until the 80s.
Yeah, but we were talking high end. $750 in 1975 is the equivalent of over $4000 today

Old 06-09-22, 04:54 PM
PeteHski

Yeah, but we were talking high end. $750 in 1975 is the equivalent of over $4000 today
True. I couldn't afford high-end bikes when I was 7 years old!
Old 06-09-22, 04:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
True. I couldn't afford high-end bikes when I was 7 years old!
Closest I ever came was that Ritchey with Dura Ace, and I could only afford it because it was 8 speed and then new 7700 9 speed DA had just come out. So I got it for 2/3 of the list price!

Old 06-09-22, 05:10 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have a 1972 Masi Gran Criterium that you can ride if you wish, it is a 62 cm.

The biggest different for me WRT to just riding around are the bars and stem and brake hood ergonomics. No doubt the new carbon bikes with the latest technology and wheels are faster and more comfortable and easier to ride. Disc braked bikes are not that much lighter than the old steel bikes. More reliable? Not in my way of thinking WRT to derailleurs and shifters.....I have had new stuff break (SRAM shifters, derailleur, blipbox). One shimano shifter. Never the old shifters. The new carbon wheels with fewer spokes seem more reliable, too
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-09-22, 10:22 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts

Obviously. It's all about the bike.
Old 06-10-22, 07:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Obviously. It's all about the bike.
To a degree I think its about the gearing on those old bikes and the cup and cone bearings. Gearing isn't low enough to keep up on the hills and the old cup and cone bearings have more resistance than the newer sealed cartridge bearings.
Old 06-10-22, 08:36 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
I disagree with the premise. All that innovation is a sandbox of new ideas. That which helps lower skilled, weaker riders go faster, further, or offer benefits in some way are (or very quickly become) a good bargain to the non-competative.

It might be useful to define the arena. "Racer" is not like "Doctor" where even the last place guy to graduate from doctor school still gets to be called "Doctor." The last place guy in the race isn't called Racer. He was simply too slow, too weak, to matter. He is the rest of us benefitting from (& taking for granted) the innovation that stuck & made a difference where it did matter.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-10-22, 08:56 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 727 Posts
What's the demarcation for "customer serviceable"?
Brifters?
Electronic shifting?

Those two modern things are so good, I happily deal with the downsides of their complexity.
Old 06-10-22, 08:58 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
To a degree I think its about the gearing on those old bikes and the cup and cone bearings. Gearing isn't low enough to keep up on the hills and the old cup and cone bearings have more resistance than the newer sealed cartridge bearings.
I think you are on a pretty slippery slope when you talk of a cartridge bearing which are merely inner and outer races with ball bearings having less resistance than cup cone.

Cartridge bearing are great for easy replacement especially in adverse conditions, and poorly maintained bikes, but in clean and dry road conditions, it is really more wishful thinking that cartridge bearings are smoother.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-10-22, 09:06 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
….the old cup and cone bearings have more resistance than the newer sealed cartridge bearings.
There are several advantages to sealed cartridge bearings.

Resistance is not one of them.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-10-22, 09:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The last place guy in the race isn't called Racer. He was simply too slow, too weak, to matter. He is the rest of us benefitting from (& taking for granted) the innovation that stuck & made a difference where it did matter.
The lanterne rouge in the Tour de France will be very disappointed to hear that. (I'll break the news to Lawson Craddock the next time I see him.)
Old 06-10-22, 09:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This is not the case in my experience. I have a couple cup and cone wheels that have a lot less drag than any of the cartridge bearing wheels. There's a reason Shimano stuck with cup and cone for their wheels for so long.

Old 06-10-22, 09:39 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
What's the demarcation for "customer serviceable"?
Brifters?
Electronic shifting?

Those two modern things are so good, I happily deal with the downsides of their complexity.
From an end-user perspective I find electronic gearing LESS complicated. Especially with fully wireless SRAM AXS. No cables to mess about with. Micro-tuning direct on the fly (usually a one-off event). Easiest system in the world to install on a bike.
Old 06-10-22, 10:17 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

they need to learn the fine art of drafting

Ive shared this (and these pics) before, but shortly after i got a new bike i mapped out a 8 mile course with a little bit of everything - flats, rolling hills , (short ones , but im a Clydesdale class rider, so still a challenge for me)

Why so "short" ? So i could hit it several times in a day back to back to get repeatable results on a day with the same weather and same wind speed. If i tried to do a 25 mile TT back to back, it just wouldnt work. Most of my effort would have been expended on the first one

The results were the same regarding the stop watch. I flatted once on the old bike, so not counting that, it was very close. Observations were that the older bike could hammer the flats faster than the newer bike (Im guessing those old Campy aero wheels are still aero, and also have a bit more flywheel effect due to the extra weight ) , and the newer bike climbed more efficiently with the compact gearing and 12-27 in the back vs the traditional 53/39 with a 12-23 on the Italian bike

NEwer bike was more comfortable. The carbon frame and wheels really helped smooth things out - really, the most comfortable bike ive ever ridden.

None of the differences would result in me getting spit off the back in a group ride though. So my conclusion was that while "Steel is still real" and can still go real fast, --- good carbon is nicer to ride in a lot of ways . But i have experience with cheap carbon too -- A Cannondale Synapse equipped with 105. I never got along with that bike and honestly would pick steel over that unruly thing

Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-10-22, 10:45 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have a 1972 Masi Gran Criterium that you can ride if you wish, it is a 62 cm.

The biggest different for me WRT to just riding around are the bars and stem and brake hood ergonomics. No doubt the new carbon bikes with the latest technology and wheels are faster and more comfortable and easier to ride. Disc braked bikes are not that much lighter than the old steel bikes. More reliable? Not in my way of thinking WRT to derailleurs and shifters.....I have had new stuff break (SRAM shifters, derailleur, blipbox). One shimano shifter. Never the old shifters. The new carbon wheels with fewer spokes seem more reliable, too
Funny... one of the biggest differences I feel in ergos IS the on-hoods' riding experience of Brifters vs old school brake (break) levers... When I get back on the old school Levers - Campy/Shimano,Suntour/DiaCompe and all others...) they are not near as effective or comfortable as ANY of the 9 spd or newer Brifters... Can't set the olders levers to where braking from 'on-hood' and 'In-drops' is equally effective, and 'on-hoods' on the old crappage is way more uncomfortable in 3+ hours of saddle time...
And, yes, to me Wheel/Rim tech has been one of the BIGGEST Improvements. Campy and Suntour Hubs were always great stuff, but the rims... awful - light but awful to maintain without 36x and even then truing was an ongoing maintenance, like doing laundry. This with wheels built by some of the best builders in the NE.
I still have a bunch of these old wheels, but will NEVER, EVER ride them again - oh happy days...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-10-22, 10:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Resistance is not one of them.
Resistance is futile.

(sorry - had to )
Old 06-10-22, 01:16 PM
JohnMorgan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Resistance is futile.

(sorry - had to )
You are being Bad, and you know it.

Bad Zut! Naughty Zut!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.