Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 10 Speed with Shimano/FSA/SRAM Cranks

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-18-22, 07:29 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

Can I run my Campy 10 speed Centaur with a Shimano or FSA or SRAM crankset? I'd love to goto a 46-30 in front. Any issues with chain or ????
Old 06-18-22, 07:39 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 87 Posts
I’ve run Campy 10 and DA 10 on FSA cranks—no issues (I prefer the FSA cranks to the DA 10 only because chain ring replacement is cheaper).
Old 06-18-22, 07:43 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
What cassette and derailleurs are you planning on using? You will probably want ten speed Campagnolo derailleurs designed for triple cranksets.

However, a 13-2X cassette with a 46/30 crankset will have you coasting at speeds above 27 mph.

I have a Campagnolo Chorus for triple group with a 50x34 crankset and a 13-29 cassette. It requires a 100 rpm cadence at 30 mph.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-18-22 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-18-22, 01:28 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Yes, the drivetrain doesn't really care what crankset you use. I even have a bike with Campy 10, and a 1980 Nuovo Record front derailleur. Shifting's not perfect, but it works.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-18-22, 01:32 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Cassette = Campy Chorus 12-30 10s. Derailleurs = Campy Centaur 10s.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
What cassette and derailleurs are you planning on using? You will probably want ten speed Campagnolo derailleurs designed for triple cranksets.

However, a 13-2X cassette with a 46/30 crankset will have you coasting at speeds above 27 mph.

I have a Campagnolo Chorus for triple group with a 50x34 crankset and a 13-29 cassette. It requires a 100 rpm cadence at 30 mph.

Old 06-18-22, 02:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It’’s fine. DA 7800 crankset on a Chorus/Centaur drivetrain. It drives my Campy snob teammate crazy, but it works perfectly.

Likes For caloso:
Old 06-18-22, 04:28 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Do you use a Campy chain? If so, what model? If not, what brand/ model?

I thinking more like an inexpensive FSA or SRAM 46/30 crankset and BB.

Originally Posted by caloso
It’’s fine. DA 7800 crankset on a Chorus/Centaur drivetrain. It drives my Campy snob teammate crazy, but it works perfectly.

Likes For Recycled Cycler:
Old 06-18-22, 09:36 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Any 10 speed chain. Its only really 11 speed and beyond that chains become critical components.
Old 06-18-22, 09:40 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

I'm now totally frustrated trying to assemble parts around this Campy 10 speed to get easier gear ratios than just 34 in front and 29 in back. I only found one place NOT in Europe that has a Chorus 10 speed cassette with a 30. And they had one. Screw it. Shimano and SRAM are so much easier to build out and find parts for. I'm just gonna use the SRAM shifters and derailleurs and cassette (with a 32) and brakes I have on another bike, buy a new 6-30 FSA crank and BB, and use those. Easy. Jon more proprietary Campy. DONE. I'm gonna start another thread I'm so frustrated!
Old 06-18-22, 09:48 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

You and 80% of avid bikers agree on Shimano. Campy is increasingly a “hard sell” with is proprietary free-hub splines and cassette spacing … but … honestly … there’s nothing like Campy.
Old 06-19-22, 12:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
Do you use a Campy chain? If so, what model? If not, what brand/ model?

I thinking more like an inexpensive FSA or SRAM 46/30 crankset and BB.
I think this was a 10-speed KMC chain. I don’t think it really matters.
Old 06-19-22, 12:21 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Campy does shift quite well, but just not worth the hassle. Too proprietary. Ordered an FSA 46/30 crank. Will use SRAM group off an older bike with new FSA cranks and have a great bike with granny-max gearing.

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
You and 80% of avid bikers agree on Shimano. Campy is increasingly a “hard sell” with is proprietary free-hub splines and cassette spacing … but … honestly … there’s nothing like Campy.
Likes For Recycled Cycler:
Old 06-23-22, 05:45 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

I did a 180. Changed my mind. Reversed. I kept all the Campy and just installed new 12-30 cassette. Well, also new Campy cables and Torelli housings. Wasn't convinced using an FSA SRAM or Shimano crank would work all that well. It sure does shift well. And it's such a light bike and good climber that the 30 in back with 34 up front should be ok for most of the hills I climb. I'm 66 with a lot fewer watts than I had when I was 26, but this should be fine.
Old 06-23-22, 08:57 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Go Campy! Per everyone above, it really is no issue to swap out cranks/chainrings between FSA, SRAM, Shimano and Campy if you are staying in the 2 x 9-11 speed set ups …higher and the chains start to get proprietary. But great to hear you are staying with Campy. Happy Trails!
Old 06-24-22, 06:18 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
I'm now totally frustrated trying to assemble parts around this Campy 10 speed to get easier gear ratios than just 34 in front and 29 in back. I only found one place NOT in Europe that has a Chorus 10 speed cassette with a 30. And they had one. Screw it. Shimano and SRAM are so much easier to build out and find parts for. I'm just gonna use the SRAM shifters and derailleurs and cassette (with a 32) and brakes I have on another bike, buy a new 6-30 FSA crank and BB, and use those. Easy. Jon more proprietary Campy. DONE. I'm gonna start another thread I'm so frustrated!
are you determined to find a chorus cassette? Centaur 12-30 10sp cassettes are, if not common, relatively easy to find, are cheaper, and completely compatible with any Campag 10sp drivetrain. I use veloce and centaur cassettes with my chorus setup
Old 06-24-22, 10:18 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I had an FSA compact on my all Chorus bike and it worked fine with shifting. That said, I replaced it with a Chorus crank a few years ago because I got tired of the retainer bolt loosening all the time. I then also went to 13-29 in back, either Veloce or Centaur. The bottom line is that the teeth on the chainrings and cassette are all the same length everywhere in the bike world. Only the widths differ to squeeze more and more cogs into the rear. The chains narrow accordingly and you get situations where the very old 5-6-7 speed chainrings are too wide for the narrowest chains.

Right now I have an 11sp crank that will be installed on a 9sp system with a 10sp chain! I do worry a little that the 10sp chain on the 9sp cassette will give a bit of a problem or be noisy, but the difference isn't all that great.