Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 06-27-22, 11:25 AM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
special drop bar fast bike
Road bike.

wielrenner
This is a word used by transport-only cyclists to dehumanize road cyclists.
Old 06-27-22, 01:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
"wielrenner"

This is a word used by transport-only cyclists to dehumanize road cyclists.
Sniff, Sniff, those poor misunderstood road cyclists-allegedly dehumanized by those nasty Dutch fietsers who don't wear helmets.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wielrenner
wielrenner
Dutch
Etymology
From wiel +‎ rennen +‎ -er.

Noun
wielrenner m (plural wielrenners, diminutive wielrennertje n, feminine wielrenster):
a sports or fitness cyclist, someone who races bicycles, as opposed to a person riding a bike for any other purpose. [from ca. 1889]
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-28-22, 01:09 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
I bought a Schwinn Paceline Bike Helmet for $35 at Target

Was shopping for something else, and ran across this in sporting goods.
So I sucked it up and bought it. Price seems right.
Says CPSC rated, whatever that is.

https://www.target.com/p/schwinn-pac...y/-/A-80178013
Old 06-28-22, 01:14 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
CPSC = Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Old 06-28-22, 02:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It's much better than no helmet protection for crashes that involve head injury and potential for concussion. Probably any more expensive helmet is just marginal gains. Although I do use a somewhat expensive MIP's helmet. And likely my helmets in the future will also be such.

Since we don't really get to pick what kind of crashes we will have, it's better to wear a helmet and be ready. I don't think the cyclists I see with their helmets hanging on the handle bars will have time to put them on when they have a crash. Unless they plan their crashes carefully! <grin>
Old 06-28-22, 04:59 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
The Paceline wasn't tested, but the $18 Schwinn Intercept helmet earned a 4-star rating in Virginia Tech's test and beat out the $250 Specialized S-Works Evade II and the $240 Kali Tava. A rounded EPS foam dome with a polycarbonate shell is effective protection and it doesn't have to cost more than common disposable product packaging. With that said, I'm personally willing to spend a lot more for comfort, fit, lightweight, style, and marginally better protection.
Old 06-28-22, 06:13 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
The Paceline wasn't tested, but the $18 Schwinn Intercept helmet earned a 4-star rating in Virginia Tech's test and beat out the $250 Specialized S-Works Evade II and the $240 Kali Tava. A rounded EPS foam dome with a polycarbonate shell is effective protection and it doesn't have to cost more than common disposable product packaging. With that said, I'm personally willing to spend a lot more for comfort, fit, lightweight, style, and marginally better protection.
$18? I paid $35. I feel ripped off.
Well Intercept is now $30 also. I feel better.
https://www.target.com/s/schwinn+adult+intercept+helmet
Old 07-16-22, 09:03 AM
satrain18

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Sniff, Sniff, those poor misunderstood road cyclists-allegedly dehumanized by those nasty Dutch fietsers who don't wear helmets.
wielrenner
Dutch
Etymology

Noun
wielrenner m (plural wielrenners, diminutive wielrennertje n, feminine wielrenster):
a sports or fitness cyclist, someone who races bicycles, as opposed to a person riding a bike for any other purpose. [from ca. 1889]
Whoever wrote this entry must REALLY hate road bikes and is as divisive as he or she can get.
Old 07-17-22, 07:24 AM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
wielrenner
Dutch
Etymology

Noun
Looking at photos of that "great" Dutch bike infrastructure it would seem it is intended to slow bikes down so much helmets are less necessary. I like going faster than possible when you are mixed with pedestrians.
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 07-26-22, 07:38 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5895 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Whoever wrote this entry must REALLY hate road bikes and is as divisive as he or she can get.
No, it's entirely neutral by someone who does understand the language.

Originally Posted by igorgroks
Looking at photos of that "great" Dutch bike infrastructure it would seem it is intended to slow bikes down so much helmets are less necessary. I like going faster than possible when you are mixed with pedestrians.
It's not intended for antisocial behaviour. If you're too slow to compete in an event with closed off roads, you'll have to adapt your speed to the situation.
Old 07-26-22, 10:12 AM
igorgroks

No, it's entirely neutral by someone who does understand the language.

It's not intended for antisocial behaviour. If you're too slow to compete in an event with closed off roads, you'll have to adapt your speed to the situation.
My situation is either commuting to work, or riding for fitness. I like to get where I am going as fast as I can go. I am competing against myself, and so far I'm winning. I do not want to have no choice other than to mix with pedestrians.
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 07-26-22, 11:41 AM
Stadjer

My situation is either commuting to work, or riding for fitness. I like to get where I am going as fast as I can go. I am competing against myself, and so far I'm winning. I do not want to have no choice other than to mix with pedestrians.
I have the same with cars. I'd like to go faster, pick the raceline, brake late, hit the apex, get on the power smooth and then flat out of the corner. But it's not my road, it would be antisocial to act like it is.
Old 07-26-22, 02:18 PM
igorgroks

I have the same with cars. I'd like to go faster, pick the raceline, brake late, hit the apex, get on the power smooth and then flat out of the corner. But it's not my road, it would be antisocial to act like it is.
I do believe you are a troll
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 07-26-22, 06:14 PM
satrain18

I do believe you are a troll
I also hate this divisive idea that Dutch-style-upright-transport-only cyclists are the only real cyclists, and that road cyclist are not cyclist at all but merely "wheel runners" who deserve condemnation and ridicule.
Old 07-27-22, 09:41 PM
podbotman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only one who loves how road helmets look?

I'm not even talking about the crazy expensive ones.

City style helmets aren't bad either, but they're not my cup of tea personally!
Old 07-28-22, 07:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by podbotman
Am I the only one who loves how road helmets look?
Probably.
Old 07-29-22, 11:10 AM
Stadjer

I also hate this divisive idea that Dutch-style-upright-transport-only cyclists are the only real cyclists, and that road cyclist are not cyclist at all but merely "wheel runners" who deserve condemnation and ridicule.
It's not that you don't understand and speak the foreign language at hand here, it's that you don't seem to understand the concept of not speaking a foreign language. Foreign languages are different, words don't mean what you think or want them to mean.

Probably.
At least 'road helmet' is the right name, it doesn't do much for the bicycle or cycling, it's made to hit the road.
Old 07-29-22, 11:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It's not that you don't understand and speak the foreign language at hand here, it's that you don't seem to understand the concept of not speaking a foreign language. Foreign languages are different, words don't mean what you think or want them to mean.

At least 'road helmet' is the right name, it doesn't do much for the bicycle or cycling, it's made to hit the road.
Aren't all helmets made to hit the road? I'm sure they are all equally capable of doing that. How much significant risk injury mitigation any of the "types" provide is debatable as well as the degree of difference in risk reduction between different types of bicycle helmet models and types.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-01-22, 09:08 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Does MIPS reduce ventilation / airflow? Comfort in 95/95?
...this depends on how much money you're willing to spend on the helment. I'm not a big Specialized fan, but I recently replaced my old Smith with one of their road helmets because the ventilation was better, and the Smith was beat. Both were MIPS. But it's still a helment, so it's not as good on a hot day as no helment. Just a lot better, for a helment. It was not cheap, even on sale. But I ride here in very hot weather.
Old 08-01-22, 11:01 AM
Stadjer

Aren't all helmets made to hit the road? I'm sure they are all equally capable of doing that. How much significant risk injury mitigation any of the "types" provide is debatable as well as the degree of difference in risk reduction between different types of bicycle helmet models and types.
I don't know to what degree it's a specialized crash helmet. I just object to the term 'bicycle helmet' because it has no relation to cycling. I don't mind people putting on a road helmet when they go road cycling at all.
Old 08-15-22, 03:42 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Road helmet is there to distinguish it from a MTB helmet which typically has a few extra features (visor, bulkier, more coverage) and a city styled helmet (yuck, but) and a TT helmet. They're all varieties of bicycle helmet, and of course, all useful in their respective contexts. Sure, cycling in the Netherlands, I haven't seen much of them, but having great cycling infrastructure and being pancake flat (meaning speeds are predictably moderate all the time) makes that relatively low risk.

Last edited by Branko D; 08-15-22 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 04:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I don't know to what degree it's a specialized crash helmet. I just object to the term 'bicycle helmet' because it has no relation to cycling. I don't mind people putting on a road helmet when they go road cycling at all.
Sounds to me like your gripe is that "English" in America has evolved to a use of words in a way that is not to your liking. We have automobile seat belts , football and hockey helmets that do nothing for the automobiles sporting them nor have football and hockey helmets saved any footballs from hard kicks or hockey goals from 100 mile per hour (160 KPH) slap shots.

And yes, those draping their helmets over their stems ARE using it as a bicycle helmet in your eyes. (For those who know their stems are worth more than that soft stuff between their ears.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-22-22, 04:33 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts

A biking, baseball, football, lacrosse, or hockey helmet is meant for use in those sports. Likewise, terms like a cycling, MTB, or BMX helmet helps the user get specialized features. It's not that complicated. But, for those uninformed the word before helmet is called an adjective, it's meant to describe the helmet. That is, how it is used, not what it's inteneded to hit - a silly thought.
Old 08-22-22, 09:13 AM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Bicycle helmets ?

Never worn a bicycle helmet in my life. Thoughts and recommendations. ? Thanks !
Old 08-22-22, 09:44 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 226 Posts
I don't have the photo of the helmet my spouse crushed in a road crash. Nor the helicopter that took her to Harborview in Seattle. Without the helmet, she would be dead or at least brain damaged. A helmet post will set off a firestorm of opinions here. Sigh.... I didn't wear a helmet after years of not riding, but got one when I started up again. Giro makes nice helmets. Their MIPS design minimizes rotational impacts as well as direct blunt force.
Helmets also have a nice side effect of keeping your noggin cool on hot days, and warm if you put beanie under it. I crashed for the first time in decades this summer, and the posterior part of my helmet got knocked in. Not badly, but not my brain either. In the last ten years, everyone I know who got whacked were at low speeds, no traffic, etc. Failed mount up and hit head on large rock. Failed dismount, fell sideways onto head. Fast around a corner and tree branch to head. Loss of visibility in a tunnel. I think a lot of people have mishaps of inattention more than speed and cars. Nothing on earth will save you if you get hit by a car or run over by a big truck. But I find that my helmet, like seatbelts in a car, are now just part of the deal. Without a helmet or seatbelt, it just doesn't feel right anymore. YMMV
Likes For etherhuffer:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.