Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Working my way back

Old 02-19-21, 08:26 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
Working my way back

Had a nice 60 miler today working my conditioning to the point of (hopefully) doing my first double century before summer. I had a nasty accident in late December breaking numerous ribs on my right side so getting back to this type of distance has been a challenge. A double at 60 years old will be quite a test but that’s what makes life interesting 😃
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-20-21, 07:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Good looking bike Carrying lots of stuff for a 60 miler, you must have had quite a picnic en route!
Old 02-20-21, 05:56 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Good looking bike Carrying lots of stuff for a 60 miler, you must have had quite a picnic en route!
There was very little in the bags, I was just enjoying trying everything out.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-21-21, 12:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I did my fastest double in my early 60s, on a nice carbon bike with fast tires though.
Old 02-21-21, 04:47 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I did my fastest double in my early 60s, on a nice carbon bike with fast tires though.
I’ve considered doing exactly that on my Wilier Triestina but not certain how well it will work out carrying what I need with me. I’m toying with different routes that offer more resupply options.
Also curious how much that carbon frame will beat me with 200 miles of subtle bumps....... they do add up.
Old 02-21-21, 06:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I’ve considered doing exactly that on my Wilier Triestina but not certain how well it will work out carrying what I need with me. I’m toying with different routes that offer more resupply options.
Also curious how much that carbon frame will beat me with 200 miles of subtle bumps....... they do add up.
For rural routes without many services, I always use a 2-liter Camelbak, just the bare thing, no storage, plus a food bottle. I don't usually need 2 bottles with the Camelbak. That gives me a 50 mile range. I usually only stop the 3 times on a double if the stops work out like that. I use a large Ortlieb saddle bag with whatever in it.

I found my Trek to be very comfortable. Run the largest Conti 5000 that fit. When I did rando, I ran 23mm Vredesteins at 140 lbs, no problem. That's here in Washinton, though. I've ridden California rural and admit I was not impressed with the level of maintenance. Some areas were nice, others not so much.
Old 03-01-21, 07:05 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I would use whatever bike is most comfortable and can carry what you need to bring.

Whichever bike you ride, using the widest tires that will fit the frame, fork and brake calipers will minimize the wear on your body. Wider tires at lower pressure transmit less vibration to your body than narrow ones at high pressure.