Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Repurpose wahoo cadence sensor?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-11-22, 08:34 PM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

I have a wahoo roam with cadence and speed sensors. I added a power meter that also does cadence so I don’t need the cadence sensor anymore. Can it be repurposed for anything useful?

Ideally I would like to reprogram it to be another speed sensor for another bike. It seems to be the same… both sensors just sense revolutions, then the speed sensor does some math based on wheel circumference. but this doesn’t officially look supported by wahoo. Why let people reuse something when you could force them to buy something else, right? Anyone know if there is a hack to make this work? Or any other ideas other than using it as a cadence sensor on another bike?
Old 01-11-22, 11:50 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
The could make them do speed or cadence but I'm guessing they have ran the numbers and figured out they make more money by making them specific devices. I have 3 speed/cadence sensors that I bought off Amazon for $12 each that you just pop the battery in and out to change it from one to the other.