Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Odometer gadget for 20" wheels needed

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 04:25 PM
Codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm after some advice. I would like an odometer to measure my distance travelled so I looked at eBay and there are plenty to choose from, much more sophisticated that I expected and very reasonably priced. Problem is I cannot find one that will work on my folding ebike with 20" wheels. Any suggestions please for a gadget that will work on my bike?
I would like to record distance travelled; average speed; current speed. No big deal, I just want to challenge myself and I reckon this might help. That's about it.
Thanks in advance!
Pete
Old 06-06-22, 05:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
The device should have a way to set the wheel diameter and will work on anything.
Old 06-06-22, 08:05 PM
Codger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
The device should have a way to set the wheel diameter and will work on anything.
Thanks Ogsarg. Yes, there is the facility to set the unit to the circumference but the seller says it won't go as low as 20".
Old 06-06-22, 08:10 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
My favorite "dumb" speedometer/odometer is the INBIKE IC-321 wireless unit.
HERE IS THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL for the INBIKE IC-321:
https://www.kupkolo.cz/data/files/ma...0-11_21-22.pdf

HERE IS just one Ebay listing that has the new INBIKE IC-321 for $16.90 free shipping. ****LIKELY THERE ARE OTHER ebay LISTINGS WHICH MAY HAVE the new INBIKE IC-321 at a LOWER total cost than $16.90 with free shipping.............You'll need to spend five minutes checking all the INBIKE bicycle speedometer listings there on Ebay. Could be that Amazon or Ebay might have it priced better. Sometimes Hong Kong, ShenZhen, Shanghai based sellers have the wireless INBIKE IC-321 at around $10 but there are also numerous USA based sellers with the wireless INBIKE IC-321 for perhaps three to four dollars more than the $10 that the China based ebay sellers price the wireless INBIKE IC-321 for. ******* It is a great unit with a relatively large display of SPEED (in your choice of MPH or KM ). AS YOU SEE, THE ODOMETER is at Top Right of the DISPLAY, and Clock is at Top LEFT of the DISPLAY.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383036631546

--------------------------THE SPEEDOMETER is programmed ACCURATELY, WHEN YOU tell it the "measured wheel circumference of your particular wheel".
There are some suggested NUMBERS for several Wheel-tire sizes that should be fairly accurate.
***************** Your INPUT for the detail on your circumference MUST BE IN Millimeters (mm).

I am sure that you recall " TWO PIE ARE" from fourth grade elementary school math.
( 2 x 3.14) X radius (THE radius of your bike wheel is from center axle to the outer tread........"BEING ROUND, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU MEASURE."
....So
..........6.28 multiplied by the RADIUS of your wheel = Circumference

RADIUS measurement (from center axle to the outermost tread)
Just measure as accurately as you can to the nearest 1/16th of an inch,(or at least 1/8th of an inch) WITH A TAPE MEASURE or YARDSTICK.....
.......then CONVERT the RADIUS' Inches measurement to Milimeters (mm) before multiplying by 6.28

...................obviously if your tape measure has millimeters, no need to bother with Inches, etc...

This "TWO PIE ARE" method will give you the accurate circumference of your wheel.
Then just input this INTO the bicycle speedometer , YOUR SPEEDOMETER WILL BE ACCURATE.

***you could also measure one single wheel revolution on your dining room's hardwood flooring where you can mark with tape the starting measurement to the ending measurement point.........you know typical finished floor planks are mostly level and flat and because each plank is unique in woodgrain, etc, so that will help you better determine the starting measurement point and determining the ending measurement point...............just a suggestion, but be forewarned that your wife might raise hell when you bring your dirty tires bicycle into the dining room or living room.

See also Post #9 of 10-09-21 below
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...eedometer.html
Old 06-06-22, 08:22 PM
Codger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
My favorite "dumb" speedometer/odometer is the INBIKE IC-321 wireless unit.
HERE IS THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL for the INBIKE IC-321:

HERE IS just one Ebay listing that has the new INBIKE IC-321 for $16.90 free shipping. ****LIKELY THERE ARE OTHER ebay LISTINGS WHICH MAY HAVE the new INBIKE IC-321 at a LOWER total cost than $16.90 with free shipping.............You'll need to spend five minutes checking all the INBIKE bicycle speedometer listings there on Ebay. Could be that Amazon or Ebay might have it priced better. Sometimes Hong Kong, ShenZhen, Shanghai based sellers have the wireless INBIKE IC-321 at around $10 but there are also numerous USA based sellers with the wireless INBIKE IC-321 for perhaps three to four dollars more than the $10 that the China based ebay sellers price the wireless INBIKE IC-321 for. ******* It is a great unit with a relatively large display of SPEED (in your choice of MPH or KM ). AS YOU SEE, THE ODOMETER is at Top Right of the DISPLAY, and Clock is at Top LEFT of the DISPLAY.

--------------------------THE SPEEDOMETER is programmed ACCURATELY, WHEN YOU tell it the "measured wheel circumference of your particular wheel".
There are some suggested NUMBERS for several Wheel-tire sizes that should be fairly accurate.
***************** Your INPUT for the detail on your circumference MUST BE IN Millimeters (mm).

I am sure that you recall " TWO PIE ARE" from fourth grade elementary school math.
( 2 x 3.14) X radius (THE radius of your bike wheel is from center axle to the outer tread........"BEING ROUND, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU MEASURE."
....So
..........6.28 multiplied by the RADIUS of your wheel = Circumference

RADIUS measurement (from center axle to the outermost tread)
Just measure as accurately as you can to the nearest 1/16th of an inch,(or at least 1/8th of an inch) WITH A TAPE MEASURE or YARDSTICK.....
.......then CONVERT the RADIUS' Inches measurement to Milimeters (mm) before multiplying by 6.28

...................obviously if your tape measure has millimeters, no need to bother with Inches, etc...

This "TWO PIE ARE" method will give you the accurate circumference of your wheel.
Then just input this INTO the bicycle speedometer , YOUR SPEEDOMETER WILL BE ACCURATE.

***you could also measure one single wheel revolution on your dining room's hardwood flooring where you can mark with tape the starting measurement to the ending measurement point.........you know typical finished floor planks are mostly level and flat and because each plank is unique in woodgrain, etc, so that will help you better determine the starting measurement point and determining the ending measurement point...............just a suggestion, but be forewarned that your wife might raise hell when you bring your dirty tires bicycle into the dining room or living room.

See also Post #9 of 10-09-21 below
Thank you for your reply. I think I have found one. It states that the diameter of the wheel has to be between 4" and 40" so my bike should fall comfortably within that. Good advice re measuring the circumference and I guess with a properly inflated tyre the diff between rider on and not on will be negligible.
Thanks for your informative reply!
Pete
Old 06-07-22, 04:58 PM
Codger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reply is directed towards Vegas Triker who sent a PM to which the Admin do not give access, as I am a newbie. Thanks Vegas Triker for your reply. I think I am sorted now. Awaiting delivery of my "Wireless Cycling Bike Bicycle LCD Cycle Speedometer Computer Odometer Waterproof" which claims to work for any diam between 4" and 40".
I am hoping it will fit the bill and this thread can finalised.
Thanks to all who responded.
Pete
Old 06-07-22, 08:27 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I've been using CatEye computers on folding bikes with 20" wheels for 20 years.